• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is this a good dea?l Two 2012 summit sport 800 Ptek

R
Nov 16, 2016
Yes two of them with only 25 miles each and $8000 for the pair.
What do you guys think?

At $8k for the pair, that puts you at $4k each. $4k each is a very decent price, in particular if the listed miles are accurate.

I would want to ask why two (2) 2012 Skidoo Summit 800 P-tech sleds have only 25 miles on them!
Have they been sitting outside for this duration? Sun Damage???
Have they been stored inside for this duration?
Are they both 154s? If shorter, the value diminishes.
Pull start only, or Electric start?
What type of fuel has been sitting in the fuel tank for this long? If E-10, I would be concerned. At only 25 miles, these puppies have been sitting for a long long time! E-10 will go bad in short order!

Also, Skidoo is very good regarding looking into history. Give them the VIN and ask that they look for any issues, etc. Most likely your local dealer will be willing to do this for you.

I assume from your user name that you ride Arctic Cats.
Are you wanting to give Skidoo a try?

...... if these are within your budget, and if this will get 2 of you into Skidoo, then yes...... by all means DO IT!

..... nothing wrong with the P-tech, but understand that these are carbureted, and are not FI. Your Cats are most likely FI.

.... also, these are not T-motion suspension. If T-motion is important to you, you'll need to go a year or so newer.

....... the P-tech sled value diminishes for or every year that we see the E-tech machines. Most all from 2013 on are E-tech. These days about $6k will get you into a nice low mile 800 E-tech machine.

If these are clean, if they both run well and strong, if there is no apparent damage (sun, weather or otherwise), and if they have clean clear titles..... then go for it.

Let's say that you decide that these are not for you, and that you end up selling them for $3.5k each.
Your cost for the experience has been $1 only. Not too bad!
If you can get $4k each, you've broken even!

Last edited:

2010m8snowpro

Lifetime Membership
Apr 29, 2011
Anchorage
Now only $7000

Now I got him down to $7000.
Current owner bought them in Oregon and moved to Missouri after riding them once. They both start and run and he has been storing them inside. He has been starting them regularly. They come with covers. I live In Missouri now and they are close to me. I don’t have the Article Cat anymore. I do have a 2010 RMK I bought as a basket case and put it back together. I had about $2500 in it when I got it running. Now it has a SLP pipe and tuner. I turned up my oil pump, vented my oil tank and run 100:1 oil in my fuel. So far I have had no issues. I was thinking of getting the Ski Doos for the wife and son.
At $8k for the pair, that puts you at $4k each. $4k each is a very decent price, in particular if the listed miles are accurate.

I would want to ask why two (2) 2012 Skidoo Summit 800 P-tech sleds have only 25 miles on them!
Have they been sitting outside for this duration? Sun Damage???
Have they been stored inside for this duration?
Are they both 154s? If shorter, the value diminishes.
Pull start only, or Electric start?
What type of fuel has been sitting in the fuel tank for this long? If E-10, I would be concerned. At only 25 miles, these puppies have been sitting for a long long time! E-10 will go bad in short order!

Also, Skidoo is very good regarding looking into history. Give them the VIN and ask that they look for any issues, etc. Most likely your local dealer will be willing to do this for you.

I assume from your user name that you ride Arctic Cats.
Are you wanting to give Skidoo a try?

...... if these are within your budget, and if this will get 2 of you into Skidoo, then yes...... by all means DO IT!

..... nothing wrong with the P-tech, but understand that these are carbureted, and are not FI. Your Cats are most likely FI.

.... also, these are not T-motion suspension. If T-motion is important to you, you'll need to go a year or so newer.

....... the P-tech sled value diminishes for or every year that we see the E-tech machines. Most all from 2013 on are E-tech. These days about $6k will get you into a nice low mile 800 E-tech machine.

If these are clean, if they both run well and strong, if there is no apparent damage (sun, weather or otherwise), and if they have clean clear titles..... then go for it.

Let's say that you decide that these are not for you, and that you end up selling them for $3.5k each.
Your cost for the experience has been $1 only. Not too bad!
If you can get $4k each, you've broken even!

R
Nov 16, 2016
Now I got him down to $7000.
Oh man...... if these are 154s, you had better jump on this!

Current owner bought them in Oregon and moved to Missouri after riding them once.
Oregon issues real titles.... so this is good!

They both start and run and he has been storing them inside. He has been starting them regularly.
OK..... starting them up occasionally certainly helps.
You can buy test strips to see if the fuel contains Ethanol.

They come with covers.
The OEM tow covers sold for approx $150 each.

I live In Missouri now and they are close to me. I don’t have the Article Cat anymore. I do have a 2010 RMK I bought as a basket case and put it back together. I had about $2500 in it when I got it running. Now it has a SLP pipe and tuner. I turned up my oil pump, vented my oil tank and run 100:1 oil in my fuel. So far I have had no issues.

Regardless of a short track or not, these would be excellent for your wife and son.

Last edited:

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
You will probably have to clutch and jet those sleds for your elevation in Missouri if that is your riding area. Sounds like you could accomplish that without a problem. It sounds like a great deal.

2010m8snowpro

Lifetime Membership
Apr 29, 2011
Anchorage
I picked them up for $7000 tonight. They are 154” track. I’m headed to Colorado Tuesday to ride. Previous owner says he drained the fuel and replaced it with stabilized fuel a few times over the years that they have been sitting. He also said Oregon is NOT a title holding state for Snowmobiles.

R
Nov 16, 2016
1....... I picked them up for $7000 tonight. They are 154” track. I’m headed to Colorado Tuesday to ride.

2..... Previous owner says he drained the fuel and replaced it with stabilized fuel a few times over the years that they have been sitting.

3..... He also said Oregon is NOT a title holding state for Snowmobiles.

1... Excellent..... you will like the 154" track.

2... Stabilizing does not necessarily solve E-10 problems.
Do yourself and your sleds a favor.... run ONLY Non-Ethanol gasoline in them from here on out.

3.... I'm going to say that he is mistaken. An Oregon dealer should have provided a title upon sale completion.
Oregon does indeed require a title in order to register and tag one for use on public property.

If he does not have a clean Oregon title for each one referencing each VIN, make dang sure that you;
a...... get a signed official DVM sales document.
b..... photo of the seller's driver's licence.
c..... if no Oregon title, ask him to sign the necessary lost title documents for each one. Perhaps do this at the DMV and with the help of a DMV agent.
Most likely you will need to have the snowmobiles with you for an official DMV VIN inspection.
d..... if possible, get the certificates of origin.

The good news is..... it is unlikely that anyone would be pursuing theft recovery for two 2014 sleds in year 2018.... almost 2019.

A quick search brought this up:

"If you are an Oregon resident and own a snowmobile, you must register it with the DMV. To register your snowmobile, follow the same registration procedure as a normal vehicle."

Here is what Missouri requires;

To title and register an ATV in the state of Missouri, the owner must submit the following:
The Certificate of Title or Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO), properly signed over to you (see instructions);

Suggestion:
When you arrive in Colorado, pick up what you need to be legal in Colorado........ even if it's a temporary permit of sorts.

Last edited:

2010m8snowpro

Lifetime Membership
Apr 29, 2011
Anchorage
Fuel and permits. Question on mixing oil with gas.

I drained the fuel and will replaced with 91 octane ethanol free. I’m getting nonresident permits to ride in Colorado when I get there. I assume the sleds are not broken in at 24 and 28 miles. Should I mix some 2 stroke oil in the first tank of gas?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
It wouldn't hurt...Maybe 100:1 just for insurance if there is an issue with the oil injection. Should be fine either way, just ride with typical break in process....no prolonged full throttle, lots of variance in RPM.
Nice find, good sleds!

Premium Features