• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What to Look For; 04 RMK 800 159

T
Mar 2, 2011
Idaho
I'm going to go look at a 2004 Polaris Vertical Edge RMK 800 159 with new motor from Indy Specialties w/less than 200 miles on it. Has twin SLP pipes, fly bars, riser, powder pro skis, vent kit, 8" big wheel kit.

What should I look for that might be a problem or future problem?

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Overall condition and maintenance frequency/quality.

Lack of maintenance is the biggest killer of a snowmobile.

Should be a fine machine otherwise. I had a 03 800 rmk stretched to 162 with twin pipes and only 1400 miles on it. I would highly recommend putting a holtzman atacc on it and never have to rejet again!

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
BILTIT hit it pretty well, if it's been kept in tip-top shape, that's worth a lot. Having recently torn down an '03 800 RMK that hadn't been kept up so well (4700 miles, but still), here's what I found that wasn't obvious at first inspection: clutch weight bushings completely worn through, to the point of rubbing on the spider; driveshaft bearing nearly gone; front and rear torque arms bent (front especially; the rear I was able to massage back to shape). I'd say always do a compression check, pull the plugs and look at them and the cylinders, look over the clutches for abnormal wear. Also, look closely at trailing arms and radius arms, check for wrinkles in the tunnel, bulkhead, and belly pan – anything that would indicate a wreck. Good luck!

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Rear bogie wheels are toast at 2500 miles, if they have not been replaced with high quality bearings. Not the $2.50 bearings. The bottom of footwell may show buckling or cracks from an impact. Which would require reinforcing. The front left, motor mounts blow out faster with extra horsepower. The water pump axle end notch may be over ground from the oil pump. The oil pump may not turn smoothly. The center bolt in the chaincase lower gear, may be loose. Left side drive axle bearing may be toast because it requires regular greasing that few people do. And look for both front and the rear rear shock to need either refilling, rebuilding or replacement. And they aren't cheap.

Last edited:
Premium Features