• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 Yamaha FX Nytro MTX SE 162 Measured Weight

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Either way I think it is all good. From what I have heard they handle nicely. I beleive that the nytro motor design allows the weight of the engine to sit back further. Also the rear exhaust likely moves 10+ lbs back a few feet as well even though it comes back forward to the muffler.

Yes, just like you said about weight distribution may be the key. I plan on riding a Viper to see and may yet buy one. As I have stated elswhere everybody loved the Phazer for its handling (hated power though) and few realized it was as heavy as a Nytro! The difference was in WHERE the weight was, and everything I have seen seems to indicate the Nytro engine sits lower and more mid ship.

Of course next year if Yamaha brings out a Cat chassis with a 900 made out of two YZ450 bike engines that hits about 450lbs dry weight this whole conversation will be for nought................:becky:

C
Nov 29, 2008
Agreed.
Nothing suggests that the new Viper was an exercise in weight reduction.
While the Pro is significantly lighter, the Nytro will still outlast it on the durability scale years from now.

Not so sure about that ... on last ride of the season the stock ball joint slop became so bad that it wore through the A-arm and destroyed the spindles ... so either way the ride was finished ... $160 for new ball joints + $200 for used spindles + ??? for new / used lower A arms = poor design and not very durable given the sled only had 5400 km on it (stored indoors in heat year round). No doubt that the nytro engine will outlast the 2 stroke but not so sure about all of the other components.
Whether the sled is down with engine trouble or with busted front end the result is the same - no riding till repaired!

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Not so sure about that ... on last ride of the season the stock ball joint slop became so bad that it wore through the A-arm and destroyed the spindles ... so either way the ride was finished ... $160 for new ball joints + $200 for used spindles + ??? for new / used lower A arms = poor design and not very durable given the sled only had 5400 km on it (stored indoors in heat year round). No doubt that the nytro engine will outlast the 2 stroke but not so sure about all of the other components.
Whether the sled is down with engine trouble or with busted front end the result is the same - no riding till repaired!

If you honestly think a Polaris Pro has anywhere near the reliability of a Nytro your knowledge of sleds is suspect and I think I will politely back out of further conversation with you on this point. Good luck on your upcoming Pro purchase....and I think it wise you are keeping the Phazers.

C
Nov 29, 2008
If you honestly think a Polaris Pro has anywhere near the reliability of a Nytro your knowledge of sleds is suspect and I think I will politely back out of further conversation with you on this point. Good luck on your upcoming Pro purchase....and I think it wise you are keeping the Phazers.

Yam has been selling itself as "reliable / dependable" yet parts give out in less time that one should reasonably expect given the R&D / manufacturing experience and purchase $ of the product. Front end issue is my real experience with the Nytro - Phazers are marginally better but more prone to steering slop.

Have read lots of posts on here re all of the brands and their issues, not new to sledding and currently have 12 Yam sleds in the shed + Yam Exciter jet boat + pair of Yam SW series 150 hp outboards + pair of 550 Grizzlies.
Some products are better engineered & built than others and in this case (Nytro) Yamaha F%$I^$% up! Yes the engine will likely go for 30 or 40,000 miles before its toast but what about the remainder of the sled.

Not blind to think that any particular brand doesn't have its issues - went with the Pro because I was tired of fighting the Nytro to get it to go where I wanted it to go as stated. Viper weight is not substantially less than the Nytro as stated! I choose to try a different brand this time around as stated!

I guess that your are a sled GURU and the rest of us are not as enlightened as you!

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Yam has been selling itself as "reliable / dependable" yet parts give out in less time that one should reasonably expect given the R&D / manufacturing experience and purchase $ of the product. Front end issue is my real experience with the Nytro - Phazers are marginally better but more prone to steering slop.

Have read lots of posts on here re all of the brands and their issues, not new to sledding and currently have 12 Yam sleds in the shed + Yam Exciter jet boat + pair of Yam SW series 150 hp outboards + pair of 550 Grizzlies.
Some products are better engineered & built than others and in this case (Nytro) Yamaha F%$I^$% up! Yes the engine will likely go for 30 or 40,000 miles before its toast but what about the remainder of the sled.

Not blind to think that any particular brand doesn't have its issues - went with the Pro because I was tired of fighting the Nytro to get it to go where I wanted it to go as stated. Viper weight is not substantially less than the Nytro as stated! I choose to try a different brand this time around as stated!

I guess that your are a sled GURU and the rest of us are not as enlightened as you!

I too tired of fighting the Nytro, although I did keep the super lightweight Nytro I have mostly because I don't want to cheap sell it. I went with a 2104 Cat M8 for this year and will watch and wait to see what the new Mountain Max will be. I went Cat because there game has stepped up this year with Yamahas help (look closely at the 2014 Cat). After working on sleds most of my life I hate working on them on the trail, so buying what is well known as the least reliable brand was out of the question.

I don't think the Viper is the ultimate boondocking sled but am enough of a "guru" to see how this sled is VERY different from any Nytro. And back on point very much more reliable than Poo. You do know that the Viper will weigh less than your Phazer right?

Anyways sorry if my post was a little rough I really didn't mean it to be please accept my apology for comiing off ubrupt.

C
Nov 29, 2008
M8 looks like a nice ride. Have a friend with the 800 in the procross chassis - likes the power but prefers the ride of the doo. His father has the XF 1100 and its been fairly reliable but again finds its weighted to the front too much - couldn't see the same cat chassis with a yam motor being much different.

Doesn't seem that any of the new sleds are trouble free - they all have issues. Went with the 600 pro rmk's as it seems to be the more dependable motor. Phazer Mtn has a TS skid and floats up front so it's a little lighter than stock and rides better.

Didn't intend to start a flame thread so no offence taken - hope you have a great year on the cat.

Premium Features