• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where did all that oil come from?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Beats me, but that is a large rupture on a hose that should have no pressure to speak of inside of it. No pressure, no rupture???

The hose is still very soft and pliable.
Not dried out or cracked or brittle in any way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
That type of hose has no reinforcing webbing in it. As mentioned before heat and time effects all hoses. Generally speaking engine oil temps can be much higher then the coolant temp while the engine is under load, which is why there is an oil cooler mounted to the block. Boosted engines usually run higher oil temps due to the higher cylinder presssures and engine load which can effect the life span of rubber hoses.

With no reinforcing webbing, once it starts to crack they can tear/split and there is no webbing to stop a pin hole from becoming a long tear. This why I'm not a big fan of using non-reinforced hoses in an oiling system, even if there is no pressure exposed to the hose.

I would just replace it with high quality automotive oil cooler hose and you should be good to go for a very long time.:thumb:
You don't want to use heater hose though as it will swell when exposed to oil.

Last edited:

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Clear your cache and browser history, this is usually the problem. I've reported your concern to those above me, until I hear back from them I really can't be of any further assistance.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Didn't you have a problem of your lower pulley coming off or an issue with the lower pulley a year or two ago. Looking where that split is maybe the rupture is linked somehow to that incident. just a thought.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Yes, I sure did, and you are absolutely right, it VERY WELL could have nicked that line when the pulley separated.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ordering a new hose and moving forward with it. 3 days of riding planned for this weekend!

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
time for a section of high temp silicone hose try Industrial hose in I,F

I would've went this route, faster and probably cheaper and you'll get a better hose than the OEM provides.

If you ordered the OEM hose, you're going to get the same non-reinforced junk hose that just failed.

Industrial Hose & Fittings in on S. Utah in IF, across from Wally World.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Sure enough, once the hose was clean and dry I found the IMPACT where the supercharger belt had made contact with it and gouged it previously!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I ordered a new one from yamaha, and I think we MIGHT have a spare in the parts bin from doing the Turbo install on CBP's Nytro.

Trying to find it now.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
No joy on the spare hose, so I had to make do.
Just too much good snow falling right now to miss out on this weekend.

Everything is cleaned up and 3qts of fresh are back in the tank.
Sled seems happy, no worse for the wear!

Hoping the forecast for 2 feet of fresh tomorrow materializes!!!

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
That's ****ty man. Similar situation happened to me two weeks ago, driving back to the cabin and it shut off on me. Found all the oil gone from the tank, looked the next morning and found that the return line from the cooler back to the tank had come off of the cooler. Damn spring clamp must have been weak, or maybe the breather hose was frozen and the pressure caused this line to come off? It was damn cold that night.
Brought it back to my garage and checked the base and it was dry as a bone, nothing much in the filter either. Im weary of bearings so I guess Im out for the rest of the season.

B
Dec 5, 2010
For those with mpi turbos or supers, you must either split the breather tube with the cork in it or cut it completely off. I have had a few freeze up and not breathe and with blow a oil line off or blow oil tank up and lose oil pressure. Leads to either blown motor or crank bearing replacement. Happens mostly in colder climate areas. FYI

Premium Features