• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help with my 08 Nytro MTX

A
Feb 6, 2014
Hi,

I just picked up a new set of MTX C&A Pro Skis 4", carbides for my Nytro MTX, I have the stock 2.25 Track (153") a set of Fox Floats Shocks. I ran 'er for the first time today and was REALLY disappointed in the ride I had on the groomed trail. I did read in the ski installation that I should have the ski's 3/8" wider distance apart on the back end of the ski's to keep from darting on the trail. I have to say, I did notice a fair amount of darting on the trail tonight when I went out, as well, probably my biggest disappointment was the sled is still really tippy, I had hoped with the wider MTX skis I would have helped or eliminated that. Not only that but the spacers for mounting the C&A Skis can be put on the inside or outside of the mounting point to widen or narrow the skis...I have initially put them on the insider giving the wider ski stance...again still tippy. First question is how do I adjust and make sure I have the wider distance (3/8") on the back end of the skis? Second, can any recommend a psi setting to have on the fox floats to help on the groomed trail? and Finally, my friend says my machine has adjustable track suspension? News to me! lol. Any ideas on where that should be setup to help? Also I weigh about 230 lbs. Any insight anyone could provide or suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Okay so your rear suspension will need some help. The torsion springs are really light for your average rider and will bottom very easily. I would look for some out of an apex, they are cheap and will help the ride. There are two adjustment points on the rear. The transfer rods, and three settings for the torsion spring. In the front you can adjust the shock and limiter strap. If you are trenching like mine did, you can tighten the limiter strap on the front of the skid for a better approach angle.

For the fox floats, I'd start at 70 or 75 psi and adjust up or down until you are where you want to be. Floats are good up to 150, so you have a lot of adjustment there. Also the alignment should be slightly toed out, maybe 1/8th inch to prevent darting.

I hope that helps. Check out the sticky at the top of the pagefor more info on your nytro.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
The 08 Nytro is the worst handling sled of the nytro family. That is a fact. Another fact is that by posting this type of thread you will get tons of people telling you to not waste your time and sell it and get a better sled. Can you get them to handle better??? Yes. Changing the skies was not one of them. first thing i would do is align your skies and make sure the toe-out is either 1/4" or 3/8" if that is what the instructions call for. I believe that you read the instructions wrong the tails of the skie should be closer together then the tips this is called toe-out
second thing i would do is to shim the skies. It made a world of diference on my '08. there is not a lot you can do to get ridd of how tippy the sled feels unless you want to spend a lot of money on a one of the new +3" forward front end kits. I would run your front fox float shock around 65 PSI even though the manual says 75. There are a lot of people who have found 60-65 PSI to work well with the fox floats on the front of the nytro. If you are 230 lbs you will find that the track suspension is a little soft even on the hard setting. You may want to talk to your dealer about getting some old APEX torsion springs for the rear suspension. they were stiffer then the OEM nytro torsion springs.

Last edited:
P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
I just pitched my apex springs in the scrap......would of gave them to ya. However, I don't know if they would of contributed to the solution of your problem. I weigh 260 with all my gear and those apex springs never were enough for me....not even close.

My friend has the same sled as you and it handles awful on hard pack also. My 174 nytro rides like a caddy compared to his sled. However, I have upgraded the entire suspension.

I would recommend starting with the adjustments noted in the previous posts. For shock adjustment....well I pitched my FOX for raptors but when I ran them, I had them at 80lbs.

I believe you can get heavy rear springs for your Nytro.....aftermarket not apex.

Premium Features