• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cyclops Optimus LED headlight install

J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
I have been wanting to do a headlight delete with some led or piaa lights behind the vented delete for awhile now and have found a few options, but I did not find exactly what I wanted. I have been looking on the forums and saw that Cyclops leds have good reviews so I purchased a set of 2 round optimus leds from them.

When I opened the box with the leds, I was surprised how stout they were. They have very good weight to them, which I feel is good when it comes to electrical items. The lights came with a wiring harness, sorry I did not take a picture of the harness off of the sled.

Here are the lights. They are a nice plug and play setup with the provided wiring harness.

Like I said the lights come with a harness. Im sure there are many ways to set it up depending how you want to switch them on and off ect. I decided to wire them to my hi beams so that I can shut them off by just dimming the headlights on the stock switch. There are basically 7 ends of the wiring harness you need to worry about as well as the relay. In the picture below you can see where I mounted the relay.

On the right I attached the 3 negative ground wires to the same location. There is 1 wire that you need to run over to the positive battery post and that one has a built in fuse on it. The other positive wire on the harness had a toggle switch on it that I cut off. In the picture below you can see that I zip tied the oem headlight plugins by the coolant bottle and plugged the wire from the relay into one of the "yellow" wires which is the hi beam on the oem harness.

In the next picture you will see the remaining 2 wires connectors which are to plug into the led lights. You will also see the mount that I made for these lights. It is just a piece of aluminum angle iron that I powder coated.

In the next picture you will see that I mounted the lights but also added an little aluminum extension to get the lights further back.

They work!

I have not received the mountain fit vented delete yet so I will post pictures of that and the finished product when I get it.
Hopefully I can get out tomorrow night and try the lights out as we do have a little snow. From my original impression I would highly recommend the Cyclops products, they are not cheap, but I have learned the hard way more than once to buy quality the first time.

C
Dec 3, 2007
Alberta
Those are some pretty big lights. What Dia are they? How much did the run you?
I have a set of the PIAA on mine but when using the hand warmers & lights I keep blowing fuses. The PIAA's draw to much power. I'd like to go with a set of LED's

J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
I would like to do a little update.

I have installed the mountain fit vented headlight delete. I am still happy with the brightness of the lights even though the delete. They work great and I will be posting some night pictures ect. The one negative I have found is that sometimes powder will get in the lights as there is a "ring" around the light and the lens is somewhat indented. snow can pack in and start to build up on the light, well since I have a vented headlight delete it is a pain to take the hood off the clean this off. So far this would be the only negative I have found. this is honestly not the fault of the light, but it has been very cold in my area and things tend to freeze in hurry around the hot engine. I fully endorse the Cyclops led lights and am happy with this mod. I am surprised with the brightness of the led lights. while they are quite expensive, they seem to be very well made and come with the necessary wiring harness to complete the install. I doubt you would find this quality in cheaper made units

on a side note, after I purchased this product I saw that Cyclops offers a 10% discount to snowest customers, I contacted Cyclops and asked for the snowest discount. they said there was nothing they could do for me to reimburse me for the snowest discount as I had already made my purchase. I am not sure why this is, but it was my fault not to do my research before purchase. to anyone looking to buy their products make SURE that you do your research and understand that they will give you a discount if you let them know before you order!

Premium Features