• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Primary cover bushing?

B
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Tapps, Wa
I have a m7 that feels like it has a hang up during engagement, once it powers past this hitch everything seems ok but somthing is hanging up on the low end. I started inspecting things and the bushing in the primary cover seems to have alot of slop in it. One, is this bushing replaceable or do I have to get a whole new cover? Two, is this what is causing my bind on engagement?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Could be the cover or the moveable bushing. If you want, you can send it in and we can rebush them for you as needed.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
It could also be that the bolts holding your weights are too tight. They should move easily with your fingers when the spring is removed. If they are tight, this could be a contributing issue.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Tapps, Wa
Thanks guys. I'll double check the weight bolts. Are primary covers interchangeable between different years? I tryed looking them up online but couldn't find what I was looking for.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Tapps, Wa
That one is the one that worries me. I have checked it and can't find any cracks but that doesn't mean they arn't there when its under load. Then what to do, go with a new one from cat or a P85 from FTX. Hard to decide when this isn't my #1 ride anymore.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
if ya get it refurbished...that 911 cover from thunder products is something to look at purchasing as well..!!!

N
Apr 8, 2010
Newcastle, WA
That one is the one that worries me. I have checked it and can't find any cracks but that doesn't mean they arn't there when its under load. Then what to do, go with a new one from cat or a P85 from FTX. Hard to decide when this isn't my #1 ride anymore.

Just send it to racinstation for a rebuild and save a bunch of money, they've rebuilt primaries for a few in my group with great results.

Edit, I also have to add that I had a binding moveable sheave on mine, but had a cover bolt break off in a tower. Called them and asked about cost for a rebuild and drilling it out. They were very honest about the price, told me that I would most likely be better off just buying a new clutch. I like honesty

Last edited:
R
Feb 24, 2009
Gunnison, Co
you might also check to see if you have slipped a weight. sometimes the set screws on the weights loosen up and the weight shifts to one side, if left unfixed the weight will start to bore into the side of the spider. I'd check the weights first, then thoroughly inspect the spider for cracks, and to see if the spider rollers are in good working order ( no flatspots or signs of dragging/skidding). if you buy just a replacement cover you will still need to have the clutch balanced!

B
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Tapps, Wa
Thanks for the tip on balancing, I would have forgot that. Everyting else seems to be in place except for the sloppy cover, easy to bind on the shaft without the spring in there. Imagine it drags pretty good with the belt pulling on it, especially toward full shift. The primary is a one for a 07 M8, would the cover from a 6 post M1000 work? I can get one of those for free.

Premium Features