• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 ho rktek head

C
Aug 29, 2012
Currently running a 2011 m8 sp. d&d y pipe and snopro intake. just bought the 2.6 pc thinking about running kelseys rkt head 14.5:1 . most riding is done above 9k. worried if im going to run into fuel problems at all without a fuel controller. any thoughts?

JFro50

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2009
Hamburg, MN
I would run on just to be safe. There is always a little left on the table with the stock mapping imo

JFro50

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2009
Hamburg, MN
The head flat out works just like the rest of his products. I can't give you a definate answer on fuel box and id be willing to bet the answer you would get from kelsey is maybe maybe not or some do some don't. I would run one but that's just my opinion. At bare minimum I would run a wideband afr and check pistons and plugs religously. Then you will know.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Im pretty sure with piping and an intake they say you should run a controller, so IMO you are already on the borderline, I would 100% recomend a controller,
My 07 M8 has Speedwerxs pipe,can and Ypipe, Boysen reeds, RK-tek Head and porting, BDX intake and I run a boondocker box, Yes the porting makes a big difference but on the top end im running 22% more fuel and 15% more around 6000RPM.... Maybe try it first and check the plugs every 10 minutes but make sure you check them at WFO because thats where the sled is going to want the most fuel. I would also recomend you post a wanted add or look for some adds already up for a control on swapmeet. I got my boondocker box for 175$ in like new condition from there.

C
Aug 29, 2012
Thanks for the reply. im not running a full pipe kit. just the d&d y pipe. was tryin to avoid having a controller. ill see if the plugs are lean to start with then go from there. kelsey said i will be fine. kinda feel like a jacka** questioning his intelligence but i dnt wanna burn it down ether.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I would ask Kelsey but I've never seen a fueling issue with his heads, if anything they require less fuel. It makes a very efficient fireing chamber. Kelsey will give you the straight info on it.

C
Aug 29, 2012
Is there anyone out there running this head on their relitively stock.m8? if so what am i going to see outa this thing? even non ho riders please give your experience

M
Feb 25, 2008
Creston B.C.
I have a 13.6 on my rkt 925 bb so far bit different but the only thing i can see you haveing issues with is the compresson ratio. Alot of guys around here put heads on there sleds only issue ive seen is detonation but we're a bit lower 2700-8000. If you have to run at a lower elevation for any amount of time it will deto. On my m8 it was ok till i started running higher rpm(8400). I mix av/premium about 30% av but im at 2700 ft at home. and some of our trails run along time before they start to rise in elevation.

C
Aug 29, 2012
Yea kelsey is the one who recommended the 14.5 i always run a couple gallons of 110 in the mountains i rarely ride around home which is only about 1000ft. if i did i would run probably 50/50. ho stock head is already 13.5-1. like i said im just curious to see if ots a seat of the pants difference.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
I would go with what Kelsey said, just make sure you give the right facts as for what elevation. 2000ft might burn ya.
Question for you, your DD Y pipe showed plus 3-4hp at dyno tech , did you notice the added hp? buy looking at it was it that much better designed ? Back in the M7 days you could tell just buy looking at them but the HO Y pipe looks free flowing?
thx

C
Aug 29, 2012
Well theres alot of guys on here who would disagree but i did notice a difference when i put the y pipe on. the only thing that i could really notice a change was that it really woke up the low end. dynotech shows a 5.2 increase in hp at wot(8000-8100). the ports on the y pipe appeared to be a little bigger than stock. nothin like the stock m10 y vs aftermarket. im working into rkt's 925 kit so thats why im doing these small corsponding mods like his head and the y pipe. this summer i will go ahead with the 925 and buy a pipe. i hve too many other expensive hobbys to just buy everything at once. havent tried the new pc 2.6 but will be shortly

JFro50

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2009
Hamburg, MN
If your gonna do the 925 kit thus summer I wouldnt do the head now. I'm sure you know but its part of the kit and I believe the domes are different for 800 and 925 so it'll cost you more to do it twice. By the way you be very happy with 925 kit. It flat out ripps

C
Aug 29, 2012
Yea im just wantin some more power for this season. next yr ill have to buy different domes with the kit. I ordered the head so owell i guess. itll get me some extra power this yr then next will be a whole different ball game

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
I would go with what Kelsey said, just make sure you give the right facts as for what elevation. 2000ft might burn ya.
Question for you, your DD Y pipe showed plus 3-4hp at dyno tech , did you notice the added hp? buy looking at it was it that much better designed ? Back in the M7 days you could tell just buy looking at them but the HO Y pipe looks free flowing?
thx

I put one on mine and noticed the difference right away. I didn't swing any more weight or anything crazy but it really cleaned up the bottom end on my 2010.

C
Aug 29, 2012
Yea ive read guys on here saying if u had a test sled to see if mods really work ude never notice a difference. regardless of what they say a guy does notice it on the bottom end. ya its not throw ur a** off the back gains but its there. the ho really doesnt need much help if ya know how to ride it. me doing the 925 is only because im a never happy always wanting more kinda guy.

R
Feb 24, 2009
Gunnison, Co
Im running the 14.5 to 1 on my 07 m1000(riding from 8-12000ft), they told me the heads require less fuel than stock. i have a controller but an not currently adding any fuel. if you have good color on your plugs already, I would put the head on and do some plug checks the first few times you ride it, you cant over do the plug checks! As for power, my m1000 seems to make a lot more!

Premium Features