• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diamond drive failure:(

M
Jun 12, 2012
Martinsdale, MT
So I have an 07 m1000 and I knew going In that the diamond drive was a weak point on this sled, however the stock drive had already been replaced with a bdx diamond lite drive so I thought that my headache potential was limited for this issue...wrong...going down some nice untouched powder today my sled started making what can best be described as a "singing" noise, then lost all of its power (did not kill, just barked with no movement). The track had seized up as well. I had checked the dd oil last Time I went out and it was good, however this time I checked it and there was none to be found on the dipstick...im assuming the seal went out and it drained, so I guess I am wondering what is the best solution to this problem or if I can rebuild it or if I have to buy a whole new assembly, and what kind of internal damage was done...i havent torn into it as the sled is sitting on the mountain at the moment so I have to go search and rescue it in the morning because it wouldn't tow and shattered back track wheels on a polaris trying to tunnel drag it out :( any advice would be appreciated :)

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
change the drive on the mountain..(borrow one)..it has to be bdx to fit bdx shaft right..??..won't take ya long is the best option

...or get that track/skid in a sleigh and tow it out...or take drive out..loosen brake side bolts..tilt shaft and remove track /skid and still tow out on sleigh..

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
sure you can rebuild likely...but i would get a replacement...rebuild at leisure,then you have your spare...or one for sale..

might be some lites in the swapmeet..but it has to be bdx lite for your shaft im certain..

willikers...BDX should have a loaner for these occasions...

M
Jun 12, 2012
Martinsdale, MT
Alright I'll give it a look to see if I can find one...yeah I agree haha a loaner would help reducea headache when the cruddy drive does go out, I just always assumed that these diamond lite drives were the closest things to bulletproof a guy could get for a dd haha. Thanks for your input!

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
just maybe there is a chance to pull the cover off and she will unjam to tow in a sled as well..or at least the drivers and track will turn and tow normal..........maybe..

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
For towing if you decide to,, just pull the track roll it up and tie it to the tunnel and the slides on the skid will let it pull easy enough.. Remember though you need to ride on the tow sled. You will also need to use a stiff or semi stiff tow strap/device to control your machine..

M
Jun 12, 2012
Martinsdale, MT
Thanks for your advice. We Tried tying off a sled to the bottom of the track and towing it. Made it 8 miles with another 5 to go but now it is sitting in the steepest part of the run...was a constant struggle. About 12-15 inches of soft snow on solid ice so the tow sled kept losing traction. It went good until we got into some hills and switchbacks. Granted i was only able to get 1 sled to tow with, and idk if anything less than 3 would get it. Just ordered a new bdx and hopefully going to put it in Saturday up there and ride it out. It was a nightmare lemme tell ya ha...I'd wanna get it out before Saturday but the bossman wasn't too happy about me taking off today to try and get it out. Damn work anyway haha

fasta76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2008
Lumby,BC
Depending on the snow but we always pack a crazy carpet with us for this reason. Just hook the handles to the lugs if you can or use some zap-straps. It can be scary fast on the down hill part but works great. Or you can turn them around and put the track on the back of another sled and pull it out backwards if the snow is set up.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Alright I'll give it a look to see if I can find one...yeah I agree haha a loaner would help reducea headache when the cruddy drive does go out, I just always assumed that these diamond lite drives were the closest things to bulletproof a guy could get for a dd haha. Thanks for your input!

Nothing is bullet proof if you run it out of oil! Easy replacement if you can find one to put in, beats spending a couple days trying to tow it up a hill. Been there, done that!

M
Jun 12, 2012
Martinsdale, MT
Got the new bdx put on and rode it out. Definitely some damage on the cover of the old dd. there was a good size crack on the front billet cover where the oil drained out of it. I did find another thing I need to get fixed as I noticed that I have a small crack on the bulkhead right above and to the right of the motor mount.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Glad you got it out.

I was going to suggest a strip of old bedliner (or a few strips of ski-guides from a trailer.

Flip sled on side, put beliner below track, tie front up as high as you can or tuck it into the space between the track and tunnel. Tie the back to the skid frame.

M
Jun 12, 2012
Martinsdale, MT
Glad you got it out.

I was going to suggest a strip of old bedliner (or a few strips of ski-guides from a trailer.

Flip sled on side, put beliner below track, tie front up as high as you can or tuck it into the space between the track and tunnel. Tie the back to the skid frame.

I never thought of that. I've seen homemade sled trailers with bed liner strips nailed on the deck. Thanks for the advice!

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I found out the hard way to always carry a piece of visqueen (heavy plastic) in my M's. I've had a dd lock up more than once and what I did is put the visqueen under the track, put a few holes in the visqueen on the sides and use some thin rope to tie the visqueen to the bottom of the track. It will then slide pretty well, but it has worked for me in the past.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
I would like to see someone ride that crazy carpet down a hill :face-icon-small-sho.

Premium Features