• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2005 Arctic Cat M7 - Clutches

Chris6060

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2009
Fort St. John, British Columbia
Hey guys, I need some info.

We have a 2005 M7 and we had the primary actually blow up on Saturday... We ended up having to leave it on the mountain.

I need to know how much a primary puller will cost, if used primaries are common, as well as Secondaries. What coulda been damaged by the Primary blowing? The motor was running around 6000 RPM when it happened. Didn't show much of any warning, it just happened.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks guys.

5umybepu.jpg

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Wow, that's bad!!!!!!!!!! I'd buy a new clutch(s) instead of used. They don't always last that long new let alone used already, and I'd check the runout on your crank before putting the new one on. With it coming apart at that rpm, it could have done really bad things to the crank. Better safe than sorry.

Luke The Drifter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Chances are the spider was cracked and finally cracked enough causing the clutch to disintegrate, a common problem on Cat's primaries apparently (I've yet to experience this on either of my M's). How many miles on the clutch? Buy a new clutch, check the crank runout and if you want to upgrade the spider, Supreme Tool makes a very nice billet piece. The puller is about 60-70 bucks at your local dealer, maybe cheaper online. They're a little spendy but well worth it IMO.

Chris6060

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2009
It had like 5000 KMs on it. (Waaaay overdue)

We don't have the money for a new one and we just need clutches to get it off the mountain. Thats all. Then it'll sit until we have the money. Its kind of our backup sled. It only ever gets used if we have a friend that doesn't have a sled that wants to go. Or if one of ours is down for whatever reason.

Yeah. It sounded like a gun shot. My dad was at like 7000 RPM on his '12 M8 and I was like 30 feet behind him and he instantly hit the brakes and looked behind him. One of the pieces of the clutch flew through the 1/4" thick aluminum clutch guard, through the hood and into my stomach, but the spot it hit luckily hit my avalanche beacon... Knocked the wind outta me, couldn't breathe for almost a minute.

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
I would contact Cat about this one, this very well could have killed you.. They should be replacing your primary. A clutch blew apart on my buddy once and cat sent him a new one without hesitation.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Just tow the sled out and wait till you can afford a new one. No reason to leave the sled siting out there towing sleds isn't really all that bad. I mean unless your in an area where you couldn't pull out a sled. If you were on a trail though just tow it.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
go to your local dealer...borrow a puller and plead with him to let ya take an old worn out primary kicking around the shop and then CAREFULLY get the sled out..or if the local shop have mechanics that ride offer him a little adventure..

then check crank run-out etc before putting new clutch on...

there had to have been some earlier warning signals that went un-noticed that shouldn;t have..

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've got a spare clutch but you're a little far away....

Does your dealer or a sled wrecker nearby have one you could "rent" to get the sled out?

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I would think someone in the area would loan you a primary and a secondary.

If I was in the area I would for sure. Of course you break it you buy it is the standard policy.

Get a good puller and don't put more than 100ft/lbs on the puller. I have found they start to bend above 100ft/lbs so putting more on it will not make the clutch come off.

Take your bottle of propane and a torch to heat up the clutch center and you should be good to go.

Unless you have something to keep the clutch from turning over when tightening the puller you might have a tough time holding the crank to get it tight. (Have done this on motorcycles don't know about sleds) but you might have to pull a spark plug, roll the crank so your not at top dead center and feed in as much recoil rope as you can. Then tighten the puller against the rope in the head. It works.

and then call Michelle at Oregon Trail Sports (541) 523-6103 and get the parts to fix it. she does a pretty good job getting things to BC without a major headache.

Thunder

Chris6060

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2009
I've ordered things from Michelle before. Shes always great about it. We've decided we're not going to try and put a new primary on it up there. We're going to take some extra guys and sleds and tow it out. Assuming we can find some people to help us, that is.

Chris6060

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2009
Dad ended up ordering a primary from the local dealer. The dealer doesn't think theres a chance in hell that it woulda bent the crank... I swear to god, he can be a total moron sometimes.

Premium Features