• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boost bottle questions

S
Jan 12, 2010
So I have a 04 switchback 700 with about 2200 miles on it and ever since i have owned it it has always kinda had a sputter when you crack on the throttle and i could never totally get to go away, ive cleaned carbs many times, replace floats and needles, replaced fuel lines, put new gas tank on it, with new filter, adjusted air screw. It is all stock besides a can, and a boost bottle, it had reed spaces which i took out because all they did was make it a pain to get the carbs out of the sled, my question is does anyone know if the boost bottles ever have this effect on these sleds like if there not sealed right or something or what else should i be checking for.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
So I have a 04 switchback 700 with about 2200 miles on it and ever since i have owned it it has always kinda had a sputter when you crack on the throttle and i could never totally get to go away, ive cleaned carbs many times, replace floats and needles, replaced fuel lines, put new gas tank on it, with new filter, adjusted air screw. It is all stock besides a can, and a boost bottle, it had reed spaces which i took out because all they did was make it a pain to get the carbs out of the sled, my question is does anyone know if the boost bottles ever have this effect on these sleds like if there not sealed right or something or what else should i be checking for.

Sometimes it's difficult to diagnose whether you're RICH or LEAN.

Next time out on the snow, bring a metric Allen wrench and some needle nose pliers with you along with a Phillips screwdriver

RICHEN: Try picking up (lower the E-Clips) the needles (1) ONE groove at a time.

Test drive it and see if that improves.

If not, go the other direction with the E-Clips.

BTW, I've NEVER been a fan of boost bottles, but I don't think that's the problem.

To rule out a vacuum leak, spray some starting either around the Boost bottle connections while the sled is running and see if it affects idle speed.

Hope this helps diagnose your problem

Last edited:

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
40 pilots clean up the bottom end on these. Boost bottles do nothing for the VES engines, helped a ton with the Keihin equipped sleds though... And needles #2 from top...

Premium Features