• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1994 Polaris 670 motor swap.

C
Jan 9, 2009
Lander Wyoming
Im looking to start my first major mod sled. My plan is to use a 94 polaris xlt 600 chassie with a 144 track with 2 in paddle. To take the 670 motor out of a 93 formula mach 1 and transplant it into the polaris. I have spent a few hrs searching for any info on the swap, but have not gotten the information im looking for.

I need to know some critical information:

1. How to go about fabricating motor mounts, meashurments on how far forward, back,ect to mount it.

2. clutch allinment measurements.

3. fule plumming. the polaris runs a single pump for 3 carbs and the skidoo has 2 pumps for 2 carbs.

4. any wireing issues between the 2 sleds.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
fab

More plumbing issues. The radiator for the xlt is too small and poorly located. Under the running boards and on the front of the tunnel limiting lug clearance. I removed all stock cooling on an xlt and found some used skidoo coolers on e bay for ten bux and now has more than enough cooling capacity. Next problem is the chain case. With more cooler in the top of the tunnel you'll loose track to tunnel clearance requireing a drop and roll or different case which I found in an 03 edge to retro fit.

Or one could get edge coolers and a notched track probably but I have not tried that yet?

M
Nov 25, 2010
I'm building a '91 indy with a 521 rotax in it. I had to raise the engine up
1 1/2" because of how low the carbs are because of the rotary plate. The carbs wouldn't clear the polaris engine plate. 583 and 670 is a better choice for the swap because they're RAVE engines and I don't think the carbs are as low as the rotary engines.

I just hooked the coolant lines up to the stock polaris ones. It's going to be a drag sled so it's not going to be ran wide open like a mountain sled for all day or trail driven for a day. 660 ft and then shut off.

I think the maximum stud length you can run on an indy with the cooler under the bulkhead is 1 1/4". I know a guy that moved the cooler ahead so he could use longer studs...Not sure how he did it but I can imagine it was a lot of work!

M
Check out my pics of my rotaris on the lets see those wedges forum. I cant help you much with tech info cause I bought the sled already done. Only things Iv done is re wired it and just finished a drop and roll and 151 track on it and havent had it out since. But I can tell you I am running the factory heat exchangers and ice scratchers and dont have heating issues but I did without them. Oh and yes there are spacers under the engine to lift it up. Hope those pics will help they show coolant lines and the fuel pump/lines pretty well

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
hey guys, I did the same thing too. I put an 583 in a xlt chassis. I had to raise the engine up a ton too. what did you end up doing for exhaust and air box? I am not quite done yet but I had to cut the exhaust and strech out the bend patch it and weld it back together. because of that I had to cut a tad bit of the hood. I have not figured out air box or pod filters yet tho. I am thinking pod filters. I have drove mine around a little, it worked pretty good. I did a major suspension mod so not quite done with that yet but otherwise its going good! I need a choke cable and clutch weights. I used polaris clutches.

for the motor mount I made one with the old xlt brackets and a 3/16 plate. and indexed the motor alignment with the holes that were already in the original bracket one the clutch side. I still measured and every thing but those holes got me close.

I used a polaris fuel pump, and for the oil tank I used the polaris tank and put a 5/16 fitting and 5/16 fuel line instead of the stock 1/4 that polaris used. dont know if that will be enough but I guess I will find out in time

M
Ok tried to get some pics of the mounts for you guys but was hard to get the camera at a good angle but I hope they help you I also posted some pics of the exhaust
PC080011.jpg

PC080010.jpg

PC080009.jpg

PC080008.jpg

PC080007.jpg

PC080006.jpg

PC080005.jpg

PC210416.jpg

PC210414.jpg

PC210415.jpg

C
Jan 9, 2009
Lander Wyoming
OK. I got my hands on a motor plate out of a 1980 arctic cat 500. Not to sure on the best approtch. I have the thought of making my own metal and rubber mount pices to use between the polaris plate and cat plate. That way I can bolt the motor flat to the cat plate. I was thinking of using a 2in washer welded to a 1/4in pice of cut pipe. Next use a hole saw and cut a disk out of an old heavy ply tire to fit in the mounting cup I made. To get the right spacing on the motor i can put more washers in the washer cup and put the rubber back in. Would like any input from anyone else on this thought.

For my exuast I am planing on useing the pipe that was on the 670 motor. Not sure yet on the fit to the polaris body till the motor gets bolted in. If the pipe works I was planing to use one of the stingers off the polaris tripple exaust from the sled. To make my own extention from the stinger to the pipe and if nesisary extend the stinger out the body.

Im also not sure on my primary, it has the stock skidoo on it. Is there any other clutches that will fit on this motor? I have the good primay that cam off the tripple motor. Just not sure if the tappers are the same for both?

I am also wondering what my primary to secondary allinment should be? Should I put them strait in line with each other or is there an offset I have to account for?

M
Im not sure on the clutches mine has the stock polaris ones and uses the factory length belt somewhere i have written down what springs and stuff is in them ill have to look. As far as the mounts the way mine was done is pretty simple and slick they just used the stock mounts and bars then layed a plate across them bolted it and then spacers on top of that bolted to the motor the pic shows it pretty good

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
You have the DR on yours thats how you got the straight pods on, you will need 20 degree kick up pods if you dont have this done or it will be right on the jack shaft. I have been trying to get a hold of one of these motors forever I rebuild my 93 XLT motor loved the sound but would rather a light good power twin.

M
Nov 29, 2007
xlt swap

How about an ultra motor?

Tison did this one originally, I put rack carbs on it and changed some other stuff. It is a great set up, cant bring myself to part with it.

I helped my buddy do another one. The pipes weren't that bad. Goes in a 97 up bulkhead easy.

Attachments

• IMG_5325.jpg
    IMG_5325.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5326.jpg
    IMG_5326.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5330.jpg
    IMG_5330.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 68
Premium Features