• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

pump gas T-XP, anyone runnin one?

Jul 22, 2008
Hey guys, just wanted to see if anyone has been brave enough to throw some 91 in their turbo 800r? How much boost and at what altitude? Head mods? Thinkin that I dont really need 9psi and could live with 5-6 and maybe some meth if I wanted more, but would like to hear some horror stories, so I dont have to make my own!
On another note, any experience with Water/meth in a 2 stroke? will it wash the oil off the pistons?

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
Yes we have a 6 guys running pump gas. It scares me personally but that is their choice. We have them set up at 6psi. with compression taken out of the head. and a little timing change. The thing that we found when running it was that you had to be alot more careful on the long long pulls. Charge tube temp on the long long pulls will make the sled start to detonate. Scary!! Meth would probably work great and would take the charge temp down. but it just adds one more thing to the equation.

My .02 is if you run say 1000 miles per year it will cost you $1600 to run race gas and it will cost you $850 to run pump. (thats here in utah) So is it worth it? I know that it is a headache somethimes but that is a pretty cheap insurance plus you get to run more BOOST!!!!!:rockon::rockon:

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I have a 7.2lb spring in my wastegate and have ben runing non ethanol pump 91 in my sled for aproximatly 13 rides or more now. No timeing changes. I ride from 4500' up to 9,500'. of course no really long pulls have ben made untill about 6,500' or higher. I have made some really long pulls the last week with the deep snow we have now. I have held it pretty long playing around on the lake at around 4800' though.
Compresion is still exactly the same as before I put the turbo on, pistons look perfect, never any signs of detonation on plugs, etc. Never any problems on the sled other then cracking pipe, and oil tank. Building a new oil tank today. Doing something so it will not leak any more, and will not backup into the turbo when you roll it. Tired of getting oil in the turbo and charge pipes.
I ordered a mbc, and the boot reinforcment plates yesturday and going to be turning the boost up to 10lbs soon and plan on putting in 2 gallons of 105 motor octane sunoco. I can get it for $5.75 a gallon out of the pump so it will not cost much extra. I got like 4 empty vp c16 and q16 pails I can fill or a empty vp 55 I can take and have filled up to keep at my house to save the hassel of going to get race fuel.
Still undecided if I want to keep the power valves or eliminate them when I turn the boost up.
check out my thread for pics and info.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191751

I have some ideas for a fail proof meth setup I may try later this year or next. Also got some ideas on a water to air intercooler I may try.

Last edited:
B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I put new spi pistons in this year before installing the turbo. I opened the rings up a little like I do on my turbo and big nitrous bikes. Probably not needed, but just preventative maintenance. I am pulling 139psi, and 141psi at home at 2,800'

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
Also got some ideas on a water to air intercooler I may try.[/QUOTE]

Yeah we are working on the same thing.
Also working on making our are exhaust valve fix public friendly.
Also working on a silencer,
and the Etec.

no sleep here.

Jul 22, 2008
I put new spi pistons in this year before installing the turbo. I opened the rings up a little like I do on my turbo and big nitrous bikes. Probably not needed, but just preventative maintenance. I am pulling 139psi, and 141psi at home at 2,800'

Where are you setting the rave valves when you do a compression test? closed, mid, open? What temps are you seeing on the pyro, and do you have an afr gauge, if so what ratio at full boost on pump 91?

thanks for the info!

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
throttle wide open when doing compresion test. It makes no difference if it is open or closed. I have not tested it on my snowmobile, but know on my jet ski it is the same with throttle open or closed.
I set them for 1250-1280 at lower elevations with powerjets closed. they will drop to high 1100's when I get 9,000' and above. I could jet down, but am not worried about it and would rather just leave it then messing with powerjets all the time to keep the egt's perfect. I typically have power jets at one turn open and stop to close them once when we get up on the hill to where we really ride.
I was going to put a afr gauge on it, but decided to just use egts and have not had any problems checking plugs and watching egts.

Sounds great brycter. I got a set of the reed boot girdles ordered today from turbo performance. Interested to hear your public friendly fix on the power valves.

What are the long term downfalls of water meth on a two stroke turbo? I have used meth for several years on my turbo street bikes and it works great. Nothing like runing 14psi on a built engine, lowered compresion, street bike on pump gas.
Just concerned with the meth not fully burning before it gets in the engine and posibly damaging the bottom end on a two stroke. If done right, I believe it will work great and will be fully evaporated before it reaches the engine. Guess I might just have to try it and find out.
For now I think it would just be better to mix in a few gallons of race gas when turning the boost up instead of playing with meth on a two stroke sled.

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
do you ever get to ride or are you always messing with the powerjets. this is my main concern

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I have them open one turn. ride up the trail or part way up the hill and then close them and ride the rest of the day. So I stop once on the way in and once on the way out. Only takes a minute to adjust them. If it is a especially cold, warm, or good air day I may stop once more to adjust them.
I have left them shut all the way and never touched them at all several times. Just don't hold it wide open and watch egt's whenever you do hold it wide open for awhile at lower elevations.
Just depends on how much you like to tinker. I like to try to set and leave it some days and some I will adjust them once or twice. Not that I have to.
Just like when I had my m7 with racin station 800 kit, jaws twin pipes, and boondocker box. I would set it and leave it. I left it fat. egt's never got over 1150, but it ran good, I didn't have to screw with it, and I was happy. I ride with a friend that has a big bore rt 1000 with twins and he is screwing with his boondocker box every 15 min.

Last edited:

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
That's basically how we do it to. Open more down low close a bit up high. The only difference is i open mine to 2 turns open and close to 1 or even a 1/2 open. Most guys that that never rode with me don't even know that i have changed anything because it takes about 1 min to do the changes.

we run the same egt number or run about 12-13.5 on af.

You will love the girdles. I have never seen a boot blow yet that had them on. Simple fix that works!!!!:biggrin1:

you will get away with leaving the timing curve but i always take some material out of the head. Just makes me fell warm inside. I will be rinning pump gas to day @ 12psi to see how it holds. i will report back.

C

canucklehead

Aug 30, 2002
Southern AB
12psi on pump?!?! You have a donor motor something? If that works I am cranking up the boost from 10 on mine with straight avgas.

badass your compression seems a little high for stock? Mine was 129 per side a 3k. Another reason for me to turn up my boost.

Guys wanting to run pump doesn't seem right to me, why put the turbo on if your not going to take some advantage of it. Avgas isn't a lot more then premium. If you want to run pump and more boost you need to join the four-stroke club.

K
Oct 2, 2008
Clarkston W.A.
I have ran 1/2 and1/2 pump, and 110 race at 10lbs and it ran great even on real long pulls. I have ran up to 17plus lbs with 110 race gas and blew a reed boot so i did put some adhesive mastic stuff used for construction on the whole outside of boot to help prevent expantion and no problems since. Am curently running boyesons thicker turbo specific reeds and they are working well. I was unaware of any rav valve elimination kit when i had problems with the bellows poping of so i just epoxyed them on and have rode all year with no problems there. The sled is a pull rope and go sled. I dial jets out 2 turns on trail and lower elevation rides and when im up to alt. it just takes 1-sec to turn in a bit, i will mess with them a couple of times each ride just to get opt. performance. My turbo is a areo 66 acording to some people on this forum they dont work but when they are here typing im out riding:face-icon-small-con good luck to all.and to all a good day..

Premium Features