• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2-stroke vs. 4-stroke? Opinions please

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
C

chopperguy

Dec 23, 2007
Windsor Colorado
I have always ridden Ski Doo sleds and currently ride an RT 1000. I am not sure it is going to run this year and may have to get a new (to me) sled. Here is my dilema; most of my friends ride 2-strokes and mostly Ski Doos. When I talk about considering a Yamaha 4-stoke they all say I wouldn't like it due to the additional weight. I am considering an Apex that is already turboed because it seems like that is the most cost effective way to purchase a boosted sled. So please give me some feed back on a couple of things:

Would I like the Apex handling after riding the REV chassis for awhile?

What does the additional weight really mean? More tired at the end of the day? I understand that it would be harder to get unstuck, but would I most likely get stuck more often due to the additional weight?

Would I ride this sled for a year and really wish I had bought a Nytro?

There seems to be some great deals on Turboed Apexes right now. Does anyone think this is because the Nytro is so much better? (Chassis, riding style, etc.)

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

R
Nov 26, 2007
Saskatchewan
I loved the Apex mtn and I had one that was stock. It will keep up with your 2 stroke buddies in deep soft snow but the track sucked for harder packed snow. Get a different track than the stock one. Where you will notice the difference is in the trees and in really tight turns where you have to turn sharp and fast. The Yammie is heavy and once it is going one way it takes a lot more effort to get it to turn and this caused me some problems. I loved the fact that you could just turn the key and ride, never worry about belts and I never had the hood open. If you are getting a turbo your 2 stroke friends will only see when they look up..unless they are running turbo's too. I liked the feel of my APex but it was a beast in the trees and of course if you get stuck its just another 100 lbs you have to move around which adds up. But since when was 600 lbs light? They all weigh that when they are full of fuel and the skid is packed with snow.

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
I have had both Apexes and Nytros. I must admit that the Nytro handles more like a Rev and most will tell you better. Both sleds are incredible with boost. The RT1000 is a heavy sled too. The Nytro is about 50-60lbs lighter than the Apex. When stuck they are all a pain and the same 2-3 guys that dig out the Rev will still dig out the 4 stroke. You won't go back ;)

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I have a T-Nytro and a XP X154. Would much sooner ride the Nytro, even when it was stock. For the most part, the only people that tell you not to buy a fourstroke are those that have never owned one. You show me a guy that has owned a turbo fourstroke and then went to a stock two stroke and then wanted to come back. Once you go 4 stroke you'll not likely go back, once you have a turbo fourstroke, your not likely to ever go back.

Y

yamboosta

Dec 5, 2007
Sedro-Woolley
I have a tapex, and have had it for 2 seasons. Mine has been a turn key runner. You really have to learn to use throttle control, unlike a 2stroke 800
that you would be wide to the bars open! When the snow is stupid deep they just keep on going. I am going to try a tnytro this year so i can' t give you any feedback there. I have ridden 800's since 2000 and can't imagine going b ack. Belt problems=non issue!! Good luck with your choice. cr
pg impulse nytro2010

R
Nov 26, 2007
Saskatchewan
I have also ridden the new Doo and honestly I hated it. Perhaps it was the way it was set up but it just plain felt bad. Now if I was going to go trail riding the Doo would be nice. I have never ridden a more comfortable sled and their suspension is incredible in the bumps but for deep snow, sidehilling, boondocking I hated it. Lots if them out there though so it must just be me..LOL.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Layton Utah
I went from an RT1000 to a turbo apex and the transition was smooth.

I did not notice the weight increase, the Apex is heavy but well balanced and easy to ride.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i went from a RT 1000 to a turbo rx1 in RT chassis.... the best of both world! if it ever runs right. as far as weight, the RT is a heavy sled, you wont really notice any difference, i have ridden a supercharged nytro and it felt really nice to me and weight wasnt really noticable, the stance on it was really nice, if i had the $$ i would probably ride one!

once you get 4 stroke boost, to quote Freak, "N/A = yawn" its good stuff. 800 2 strokes are fun, but man, the power is like smoking crack, its just better and better and you always want more!

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
been riding with a few tapexs, they have great track speed and are a blast in the open area and two strokes will not have a chance, but most of our riding is in tree areas involing techanical driving, where you need to be able to throw your sled around, and high track speed is not as important as riding abilty, this is where the bigger sleds will eat you up in a bit, and take the fun factor out of the trees, turobed sleds are harder in trees

and for guys that are saying they feel no weight differece, your xp buddies will only take so much before your phone will not ring, happen to another guy, he found yammie riders

i will be riding with a tnitro this year and we will see how he can handle it over all, i know i can get my sled out of 95 percent of the places i get it stuck, by myself, we will see how his sled does...

his weights 622lbs full of fluids and ready to ride, that is over a solid 100lbs more than my xp, his hp is 270hp, mine is 100 less

i really hope it turns out good for him because it just seams backwards to go up in weight once you had a light sled

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
I used to own a summit rev that I ported, clutched, put a better track on it, etc. I loved the sled then went to an apex that I have turbo'd in the off season. I rode the apex twice in spring conditions last year and loved the feel of the sled. It is a little heavy in the trees, but is a lot more stable feeling climbing.

After riding it for a day you forget about the weight because of how well they are balanced. Then I jumped back on my buddies rev and it felt really light, but almost harder to control since I got used to the added weight on the apex.

I have also rode an XP and I think the apex is easier to climb and manuever, and side hill. I just didn't really like how low the center of gravity was on the XP was almost more work to get it to sidehill well.

I think you would love the apex especially if you go turbo. I can't wait to get mine out on the snow.

T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
Unless you owned a Rev chassis sled before the RT1000 you must have had to learn to ride that sled as it was a dramatic change from the mxz chassis. The transition to the Apex would be no different. You just have to learn how to ride what you have and learn how it is different than what you were used to riding.The Nytro would likely be more similar to the Rev than an Apex but who cares. You'll learn how to ride the Apex. Maybe Nytro is more popular than Apex and thats why there are more good deals on used Apex. Maybe next year we see a 4cyl. in a Nytro and you have the best of the Apex in a Nytro chassis.
The stock Nytro however is a dog in the mts. It needs a better track and some extra hp. Never owned an Apex but I think I would like to have one with some boost.

C

chopperguy

Dec 23, 2007
Windsor Colorado
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think you are right that I will get used to it and I am certain that I will enjoy it...if I can find some $$$ laying around here!

Thanks.

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
You'll love a boosted apex...been running one for 3 years. If my numbers are right a boosted apex has a higher power to weight ratio than a Doo;) So if you do ever get stuck just bring that little factor into the equation! And the reliabilty of Yamaha is the best; end of story. I rode Doo's for about 10 years and I will never ride anything other than boosted 4's! T-Nytro's are awesome sleds to ride. Lots of fun. Just like the others said a Nytro feels very similar to a Doo. Spending the money and boosting my sled was well worth it. Welcome to a new level of sleddin' if you do:beer;

Premium Features