• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Usability Issues

Christopher,

Besides the random DB Errors I keep getting (which I understand you are working on), I've been noticing a few other usability issues I'd like to mention.

• When "browsing all", I don't get any indication of which threads I've posted in. When I'm in the actual forum where the thread resides, I see an arrow on the envelope icon on the far left of the thread list indicating that I've posted in a particular thread. However, when viewing Browse All, it's just a regular envelope icon. Since I prefer the Browse All tool to sifting through all the sub-forums, this makes it difficult to keep track of threads in which I've been active.
  • When logging in, every thread with activity since my previous session shows an icon/button that takes me to "first new post". All threads that haven't had any new posts since my last session don't have this icon/button, even if I didn't read them during my last session. It appears as though I had seen all the posts on my last session, which would be nearly impossible. For instance, if I don't have time to check the Skidoo forum, but I log in just to pop into the Alaska forum for a minute, there's no indication that there are any new posts in some threads I've been watching in the Skidoo forum the next time I log in. Is there any way to correct this? (BTW, this isn't a new problem)
  • I've noticed that some of the "Thanks" notices embeded in the posts actually list the user(s) that gave the thanks, and some don't. For example, post #10 in this thread states "The Following User Says Thank You to Sneddonrider For This Useful Post:" with no user listed, while post #19 states "The Following User Says Thank You to PJtheMunchkin For This Useful Post: DaveB (Yesterday)". I don't know why some names show and some don't, but it would be helpful to see if a person's response to a question was helpful to the original poster of the question.
  • I've noticed that I've been thanked a few times, but I don't know why. Is there any way to see which of my threads/posts warranted those thanks? I think it would be a good idea for users to be able to see which of their replies were helpful to others. It may make for better, more helpful replies in the future.

Well, that's it for now. I could post up some screenshots later if it would help you figure out what I'm talking about.

Am I helping yet? Or is this just more complaining?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
THAT IS POSITIVE CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM for which I am VERY appreciative.

You are more than welcome to share this kind of material with me any time at all.

Give me some time to dive into each of your items and I will see what I can do for you.

M
Jun 15, 2009
Marshfield, WI.
One outher thing that happens is i post a reply to a thread then brouse the fourm then chech back and it will show new post in that thread when i was the last one to post in it .

Christopher,
  • I've noticed that I've been thanked a few times, but I don't know why. Is there any way to see which of my threads/posts warranted those thanks? I think it would be a good idea for users to be able to see which of their replies were helpful to others. It may make for better, more helpful replies in the future.

Found the answer in another thread. It's under the "Show all statistics" link in the user's profile (Thanks Jen). I got close when I was looking for it, just not close enough.:beer;

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Last night we upgraded the main menu system.
Spend some time looking around in it to get familiar with new features.

The menu system is NOT done though, there are a couple more moduels we have to plug in before the menu will show all the final functionality that is coming.

Premium Features