• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Federal Land Use

Last edited:
S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
Its seems you can still use the Wilderness for recreation per the link.

I think the word primitive explains it all! When I worked as a Forest Service Engine Foreman I can tell you primitive meant no motorized equipment period. Firefighting techniques and suppression tactics are affected by this term. Hope that helps.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
"motorized"....I wonder what the definition of motorized is? What if it's electric. There's other catch alls in all of that print.

RX1MountainMan

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Harlowton, MT
No mountain bikes or game carts either in the Bob Marshall Wilderness... BTW have you ever seen what a packstring can do to a trail...yeah no impact there...BS!

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I think the word primitive explains it all! When I worked as a Forest Service Engine Foreman I can tell you primitive meant no motorized equipment period. Firefighting techniques and suppression tactics are affected by this term. Hope that helps.

Looking at the law it seems it is open to interpretation.

I understand the application of law but the actual law Public Law 88-577 (16 U.S. C. 1131-1136) 88th Congress, Second Session September 3, 1964

declares the can be motorized vehicles and there can be mining , drilling etc.

It also states it is determined by the Secretary of Agriculture to aloow / disallow these priveledges.

Where does it disallow use of fire fighting equipment?

S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
No chainsaws dozer's and engines allowed. Handcrew using handtools and air attack.

Last edited:
R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
Land Management Plan and the Fire Management Plan usually outline suppression strategies for each wilderness. Forest Supervisor can allow certain types of motorized equipment if deemed necessary.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
So who is educating ther public about the cost of having a wilderness?

Tonight here in Los Angeles the news spent 5 minutes about the 600% proposed tax increase on selling wine in California.

Where is the news about the 5-6 billion spent on forest fires in 2008, the loss of property and the deaths from "natural fires" ?

Last edited:

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA

Tonight here in Los Angeles the news spent 5 minutes about the 600% proposed tax increase on selling wine in California.

Where is the news about the 5-6 billion spent on forest fires in 2008, the loss of property and the deaths from "natural fires" ?

I think those stories got buried by the ones about people using handguns to defend thier homes.... oh, no it couldn't have been that...um... well, maybe it was the story about people that actually say "Merry Christmas"....oh, darn what am I thinking.....I know! It was covered by the story about how much better off the Middle East is after all of our help!

Well, crap. Since I can't get anything right I'm just going to be quiet.

Bag

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I think those stories got buried by the ones about people using handguns to defend thier homes.... oh, no it couldn't have been that...um... well, maybe it was the story about people that actually say "Merry Christmas"....oh, darn what am I thinking.....I know! It was covered by the story about how much better off the Middle East is after all of our help!

Well, crap. Since I can't get anything right I'm just going to be quiet.

Bag

Why does this NOT make it to the front page.
Everyone might not care about snowmobiling
but some might care about
The cost to have the wilderness.
The loss of wilderness from natures fury,
The illness and injury a wilderness causes,
The lost jobs from creating a wilderness.

S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV

Forest Fire management is not a concern. All of the issues you have brought up to me in PM form and in the Forum here are all issues you need to take up with your Representatives in California. Finestein and Boxer are responsible for a majority of the Wilderness designation over the past 20 years. Harry Reid has done a wonderful job taking over for those to idiots and in 2010 he will have some challenges. Just remember "Global Warming is happening now" ( Al Gore) and your children's, children need to see this area just as we left it for them(Sierra Club). Don, they have the microphone and they get all of the attention of the media. Sorry to say it this way but as of today the Greenies win. I have always wondered why that it is so bad to harvest timber in the Western US and it effects the salmon, so on and so forth, but it is ok to get timber from British Columbia?

Last edited:
B
Jan 18, 2008
Western Slope, CO

What educate the public (is that an oxymoron):eek:
If things keep going the way they are there wont be any Public Lands that the Public gets to visit. No hiking, biking, skiing, fishing, camping, sledding, horseback riding and no hunting. Everything that is not a town, city or suburb will be wilderness

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Why would the left wing news media want to expose the public to the TRUTH ? It would only confuse them...

We need to create a response to all these inaccurate "newswothy" and "pending legislation" to protect our forest in a meaningful way. Not just make it a wilderness andf let it burn.

Premium Features