• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys Primary removal ???

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I was just curious if anyone else has had any issues with getting their primary clutch off of an Axys???

I've got a 2017, with just this last season on it and I tried to get the primary off and well.......not happening????

I first tried the puller.... no luck

Then the puller with some taps..... no luck

Next was the puller with a little bit of grease on the end....no luck

Then the tip of the puller bent?????

Next was the water method with the puller but the tip cut off....no luck

Next was the primary bolt and the water method......no luck

It seems every time I use the water method, it gets super tight and then all of a sudden I start to get the water coming back out the hole and I loose the pressure? It's like the pressure builds and then it finally slips by and it won't work. I've wrapped the threads with a ton of pipe tape and still no luck!!

I guess I've never had one this stubborn before and was wondering what else to try besides and friggin trip to the dealer as it's under warranty........

Thoughts ????

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
My 16 clutch came off like a beotch. I used puller with water method. Sled was on its side and when clutch popped it flew up in the air and onto the concrete putting a nice dinger in it. I've taken probably 20 clutches off and never once had one fly off like that... LOL

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
My 16 clutch came off like a beotch. I used puller with water method. Sled was on its side and when clutch popped it flew up in the air and onto the concrete putting a nice dinger in it. I've taken probably 20 clutches off and never once had one fly off like that... LOL

Well.....so far I've never had this problem either. :face-icon-small-dis

Even when I took the primary bolt out, that came out harder then normal????

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
My 16 was a pain. I also bent a puller at the end. Had my brother machine me a new one. This puller does not bend the end and the clutch came off, I was using all my 250lbs. On a 3' breaker bar and It shot off and flew a couple feet. Good thing I had cardboard and blankets for it to land on.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Yes, heat should help using the water method.
Dalton makes the best commercial puller available.

Heat gun enough or torch??????

So Dalton?

The one I had that worked for so many others was an SLP, I guess I'll look at a Dalton one now.

Thanks!

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
My 16 was a pain. I also bent a puller at the end. Had my brother machine me a new one. This puller does not bend the end and the clutch came off, I was using all my 250lbs. On a 3' breaker bar and It shot off and flew a couple feet. Good thing I had cardboard and blankets for it to land on.

Interesting ......

So....does he make and sell pullers???

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I've also read that some guys don't even use a puller and just use the stock bolt with water. Anyone ever tried that and had any luck ??

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
he just made the one for me. And not sure if he would do more of them. Is your puller a Polaris one? try a different brand puller you might have better luck.

oscar

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Just so i understand this correctly using the water trick. Take the bolt out, fill the hole with water and wrap the puller threads with thread tape and thread it in? i have seen videos on youtube, just want to verify before trying it. Thanks

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Just so i understand this correctly using the water trick. Take the bolt out, fill the hole with water and wrap the puller threads with thread tape and thread it in? i have seen videos on youtube, just want to verify before trying it. Thanks

Yup, tried it but......didn't work!

Actually tried it with the stock bolt and the puller......neither worked.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Well like TRS said, Delton puller. I would get the Delton puller and a long breaker bar then giver $hit. If it don't pop off. Add heat.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Add some heat before bending your puller. It works, and it won't hurt anything if used within reason.

I was a little leery of using heat and have never had to, so for those of you that do, heat gun or small torch????????

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I had a 2013 Proride that I tried pulling the clutch off. I tightened the puller and the clutch ripped in half with the the center still on the crank. I was sick about it. Took it to the dealer and Polaris warrantied the clutch luckily. So dealer now tries to get the remaining piece off and wrecks the crank. Polaris then warranties the crank but it took so long that the dealer lent me a loaner sled and suggested trading in for next season.

Lessons learned. Try removal but if it is too tight take it to the dealer to remove and make sure you have a good dealer. Mine has never charged me to remove a clutch if the sled was in for something else anyway.

Other lesson learned is make sure that you re-torque your clutch as my 2013 may have spun on the crank and friction welded itself in place.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
FWIW, dealers will use an impact and a hardened puller - it's all just good money for them. Regardless of what happens later.
If a dealer touches your primary, or secondary for that matter, always reset torque - they can come back too tight, or too loose. Then you know.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I hear ya!!

I've got a good dealer, so I'm thinking just running the damn thing over and let them wrestle with it!! Once it's off, I'll send it in for balancing and obviously install it myself and make sure it's torqued correctly.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I hear ya!!

I've got a good dealer, so I'm thinking just running the damn thing over and let them wrestle with it!! Once it's off, I'll send it in for balancing and obviously install it myself and make sure it's torqued correctly.

If its that stubborn you should probably lap the clutch to the crank.
And make sure the tapers are clean and dry when installing.

Premium Features