• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

0 miles 2018 summit drivetrain update

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Are you out of warranty?

Im not sure if you need to be in warranty to file a claim or at least have a case # started.

Oh no. I have 3 years left. The warranty for the motor mounts only applies if you have outstanding claims. So starting a case today means I have to take it to my dealer and let him try a bunch of stuff before the mounts will be changed. I run a blow hole from day one and got about 500 miles on my first belt but the temps really run high. Thought I would try for the mounts to make things cooler. Also, had the Rep. tell me that the belts on a mountain sled are only good for a bout 500 miles. That being said, I guess maybe my sled is doing ok.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Ski doodle should just get Yamaha do sell them clutch technology.

I ran turbo and supercharged RX 1 and Apexes for 10 years pushing up to 300+ hp and only ever did in one belt. I did however change belts once a Year if they needed it or not.

It is pity-full to come over to doo and spend 3 times as much for the belt and on top of it have to change them every 500 miles to keep them from blowing besides the fact that you need to keep adjusting them to make them last that long.

The whole wobble balanced primary and solid mounted secondary leaves the belt to flex and bend under load -- this is how you generate as much heat as possible in a rubber belt. One does not need a engineering degree to run the sled on a stand through a shift and see how much the belt gets flexed side to side due to the solid mounted secondary than ad the slip and go primary sheath and what do you get ----------HEAT------------

I love my sled in every other way but that just makes me:face-icon-small-dis WTF were they thinking.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
When you post on a public forum, things get done. I had a set of Klim boots (before Klim went to ****), they rejected a claim, I posted here and they "re-evaluated" the claim. Got my boots warrantied..
I really don't understand why someone with a 0 mile sled would bitch about clutch life. As posted, if you want the newest and greatest, pay for it. Must be LDS.
My 17 sleds sucked, they were slow and ate belts. My 2018 sleds were 200% better. I know people who had good 2017 sleds, mine were not. I am sure the 2019 sleds will be even better.
IF YOU WANT THE NEWEST STUFF THEN BUY IT, DON'T BUT OLD AND TRY TO GET IT FOR FREE!

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
When you post on a public forum, things get done. I had a set of Klim boots (before Klim went to ****), they rejected a claim, I posted here and they "re-evaluated" the claim. Got my boots warrantied..
I really don't understand why someone with a 0 mile sled would bitch about clutch life. As posted, if you want the newest and greatest, pay for it. Must be LDS.
My 17 sleds sucked, they were slow and ate belts. My 2018 sleds were 200% better. I know people who had good 2017 sleds, mine were not. I am sure the 2019 sleds will be even better.
IF YOU WANT THE NEWEST STUFF THEN BUY IT, DON'T BUT OLD AND TRY TO GET IT FOR FREE!

Everyone has a different experience and history than other people.

For me coming from the US Navy , nuclear , computer , manned aerospace , and hazmat area I've learned a bit about the relationship of safety and reliability.

One important area common to any manned vehicle / vessel / capsule / facility assigned to perform there was ALWAYS CASE HISTORY.

So when something failed in testing , actual operation , emergency or foreign object damage (FOD) it was documented. Then reviewed and "cases" created to diagnose , identify, clarify and rectify the failure.

I worked at one land facility when an alarm went off the building sealed shut. Don't leave until the situation is corrected.

I compare this belt failure to an airline grounding a specific plane because a fundamental component fails. For example exploding Lithium batteries and I thank those for grounding the fleet and fixing the issue. Would it be reasonable for planes to fly during repairs ??? NO WAY.

IMHO belt failure is not common for snowmobile.

Specifically the Gen 4 has belt failure history started with the first year and still to this date. Not sure what 2019 will bestow upon the riders in terms of reliability BUT it seems BRP has viable remedies for belt failure.

(At least they did not end the gen4 like another company did with the 866cc engine a decade ago after 2 years of production stopped making 800 plus cc engines.)

Im proud the way BRP is handling the issue and grateful to the time and effort to review the cases and find viable solutions.

I for one am glad I can concentrate more on riding with my children. Ride instead of wrenching or towing or spending the night in a snow hut :face-icon-small-win

Thank you BRP !

BTW what's LDS?

Last edited:
Premium Features