• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Model Year 2020+ for sleds

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
I missed my connecting flight at SLC, Delta put me up at the Hilton, while having a watered down LDS beer at the Hilton lounge, I met a gentleman who is a manager for Polaris in Texas in the machine division (Commercial/GOV't vehicles). Anyways I asked him about 2020 and future years for sleds and the funny thing that i see is ironic is he didn't say anything!

Just thought I pass it along and it isn't a rumor!

:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I missed my connecting flight at SLC, Delta put me up at the Hilton, while having a watered down LDS beer at the Hilton lounge, I met a gentleman who is a manager for Polaris in Texas in the machine division (Commercial/GOV't vehicles). Anyways I asked him about 2020 and future years for sleds and the funny thing that i see is ironic is he didn't say anything!

Just thought I pass it along and it isn't a rumor!

:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

image.php

S
Nov 15, 2008
Northern ,wi
Maybe they will get out when there on top!! Lol jk don't see it happening. All them people are on non disclosers. they can't or aren't suppose to talk about stuff. Me being a flooring guy have had to sign not to speak on the stuff I seen at one of the big 4 buildings every time I do different floors there

zecow224

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2018
Wisconsin
I truly believe that alot of people are clueless within these companies. When I worked as an intern in the engineering department at a very large home stand by generator manufacturer it was interesting talking to production managers who didn't even have a clue what half the stuff we were making was really capable off, they just new the most efficient ways of getting them built. I have also spoke with Reps who were clueless what they were talking about and made themselves look stupid. Same goes with dealers/floor salesman who try to make recommendations but does not own a newer sled or better yet has never even snowmobiled.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Can winter and riding season please come soon, minds are wandering and I think guys are getting delirious...........I'm completely lost with the first post!!

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
WAIT! Now wait just a damn minute. You mean to tell me this gentleman didn’t tell a complete stranger what Polaris is planning for the future? I am shocked. Absolutely shocked!

I see some of you didn’t see the humor behind my original post. I always get a kick out of individuals on this website saying they were informed a new chassis, new motor, etc; or I was told something cool is coming, but they didn’t tell me what it was!.

Also, with him being on the commercial/government side of Polaris in TX, I doubt he would even know what’s going on in the snowmobile side up in MN.

Shaking my head!

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Wow, I know ATV/UTV sales are much more of their bottom line than sleds, but I would have guessed closer to 20%. Hard to believe, and a bit sad in a way. On the other hand, Polaris might not be around if it weren't for other markets; seems nobody can stay in business just building sleds anymore.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Joking aside...Polaris' gross sales in 2017 were $5.4B...Guess how much of that is attributed to snowmobile sales? Just $346M, or roughly 6%.

Yes, but how many dealers depend on snowmobiles sales, parts, and service to pay the bills during the winter months? A few too many to completely drop out of the market in my opinion. Having dealt with Polaris dealer executives in the past, I doubt they are worried much about that though.

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Polaris, cat and doo can all thanks sleds for where they are today. Sled sales aren’t what they use to be but it’s a cornerstone of your company and another avenue for getting your brand out there. Even if sled profits are marginal at best staying relevant in the market will always bring a return on investment for many years to come. (That’s why Yamaha put millions into there genesis motor)

Example: Walmart/target sell grocery’s at a loss cause it gets people in to buy more profitable items.

I’m sure McDonald’s doesn’t sell near as many burgers as they use to but it keeps there menu more diverse.

Company’s like Honda, Kawisaki and Suzuki who have never been “relevant” in the sled industry (yes kawi and zuk made motors and such but it’s not what I’d call relevant) don’t and prolly never will get into the sled industry cause there cornerstones have been made in other areas. Which is a shame cause Honda makes one hell of a 2banger.

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012
Yes, but how many dealers depend on snowmobiles sales, parts, and service to pay the bills during the winter months? A few too many to completely drop out of the market in my opinion. Having dealt with Polaris dealer executives in the past, I doubt they are worried much about that though.

Oh, I'm not saying they'll drop snowmobiles. Polaris is a snowmobile company, it was founded as one.

I was simply pointing out a fact, and it seems the snowmobile market is both highly cyclical and very sensitive to weather conditions (duh).

I researched Polaris as a company for one of my college finance classes. I will say that Polaris is headed in the right direction by introducing the Indy EVO. We simply NEED to introduce MORE people to snowmobiling, regardless of what brand they choose. Targeting the younger and the female demographics is very important too, as over 90% of Polaris snowmobile consumers are male.

A

akaviator

Jul 24, 2011
Alaska
Went to check on my Titan order (which will ship late in October) and my dealer said that it's been the best year for snowchecked sleds since the intro of the XLT.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Went to check on my Titan order (which will ship late in October) and my dealer said that it's been the best year for snowchecked sleds since the intro of the XLT.

I know of dealers that say the 97 RMK 700 broke the XLT sales marks.
The 2000 800 was probably 3rd... Before 2019. :)

Premium Features