• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'96 Indy Lite Ignition Timing

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Hello,

Looking through the service manual I have, it does not list the timing curve for the 340 engine.

Found specs. for a '99 Indy 340 on the 'net:

- 26.5 deg. @ 3000 RPM
- 15.5 deg. @ 7000 RPM

Anyone know if these specs. would work for the older engines?

Also, has anyone tried advancing the timing past stock specs. on these machines with any success?

CDI remapping?

Would like to improve throttle response if possible.

TIA,

Glen

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Thanks VB!

Looks like the later 340s are more advanced at lower speed but slightly retarded at the top end.

I'll just have to check mine to see where it's at & go from there.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Thanks for the info.

The flat slides would be ideal like TRS did with his 550s but I'll have to put a cap on the engine budget for now to make sure there are funds for the chassis / suspension / steering upgrades next year.

Have you used the UFOs in the 340 fan application before? The benefits sound fine on paper but like many of the mods. out there, are they actually worth it?

Maybe adapt a flat slide or install UFO inserts into the carb if you are just looking for throttle response.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Well, it always helps if you read the manual..........in it's entirety. The timing specs. were there all along. In the battery section & not where I was expecting to find them but were there nonetheless. LOL

Anyway, the specs. for the '96 were the same as the '99.

Upon checking, the 340 was running 24.5 deg. BTDC @ 3000 RPM. So, I tweaked the stator plate a bit but not quite enough & only increased it to 25.5 BTDC.

I ended up dropping the pilots from 35 to 30 as well so I wanted to try that along with the increase in timing to see the effect on bottom end. Will likely bump it up a few more degrees next season pending satisfactory plug checks......

Ended up having "issues" with my sled the day we went to ride so we only got a small chance to test the Indy Lite but from what we could tell, the improvement was significant / noticeable. It was good thing the Indy was running better cause it had to pull my Pro back to the truck. LOL!

Premium Features