• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are you Over 50 and STILL SHREDDING?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Well' I have had a new Sidewinder for a month now, and I am waiting for the MCXpress 250 upgrade kit to come in .

I think I will drop it off to Leipheimer Motorsport ( http://www.mcxpress-orders.com ) so I'm first in line.

After all stock is just that "stock" :spider:
Thanks for the motivation Christopher :eyebrows:
While I am having a TON of fun on my Ski-Doo 850s, I will ALWAYS have a soft spot in my heart for a BIG BOOSTED YAMAHA.

There is just something WICKEDLY ADDICTING to having 275hp!

D
Nov 7, 2017
This is for the guys over 50. I an slowing down a little. Been on a Polaris since 93, but I am worried the Axys may be a little aggressive for my deminishing skills. I put a 174 on it and it's a ton better. Thinking about making a change the next time, probably next fall. Still got lots of riding in me. What are you riding and do is it work for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D
Nov 7, 2017

I’m 56 yrs young and after my second day after installing a turbo on my 17 skidoo 850 I have 2 problems. 1st,
d32e01a1b693cea2fb7fb96a159682da.jpg
I need lessons on how to park on the top of cornices, and will my perma grin cause more wrinkles?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I’m 56 yrs young and after my second day after installing a turbo on my 17 skidoo 850 I have 2 problems. 1st, I need lessons on how to park on the top of cornices, and will my perma grin cause more wrinkles?

EXCELLENT PHOTO.

That would be a total PERMA GRIN moment.

===

Have a great snowmobiling or picturesque winter picture you would like to share as a SnoWest picture of the week?
Submit pictures to barry@snowest.com.

Pictures should be a horizontal layout and a minimum of 1920 pixels wide at 72 dpi ~1MB.​

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Thanks everyone for posting. Didn’t realize there were so many over 50’s. I just turned 50 in August and have been wondering how much longer I can do this, at least ride the way I’m used to and want to. I’m definitely the oldest guy I ride with by at least 10 years. Probably the most aggressive of the bunch. Learning to pace myself a little better. Started exercising last February 4-5 days per week and it’s really helped not getting so fatigued. Had a doo 850 turbo last year and an axys turbo this year. Can’t imagine life without sledding

Speedo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Talkeetna, Alaska, USA
I'll be 69 before the end of the riding season, current sled is a 2016 XM 163 t3. The first sled I rode was back in '66 a 10 horse SD Olympic, sleds have come a looooong way. I'm not the old man in the group that I ride with.

Gus

B

bmiller

Nov 26, 2007
stuck in the flats of ND
Hope to show mini me

The best thing in life. My son is 2.5 and I am knocking on 44! I can only hope to be in good shape to watch him take on the passion that keeps me going.
I hardly ever ride with my dad (67). But we ride different terrain plus my mom loves the sport. 67 also.
Owning a rzr makes me feel old, but safe to show my boy what life is all about! Long live boondocking!
When I was younger I liked to record trips. Now I am realizing i need to ride more and tell stories. Those who are fortunate enough to be there will feel /live the passion!
God bless America and God bless Snowmobiling!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
My dad called me a yesterday to ask if I would take him out sledding.
he's 74 now and hasn't been on a sled in years but wants to go out for the day!
Gotta Love it!!!

Sled Idaho

Lifetime Membership
Feb 14, 2002
McCall, Idaho
www.snowmobile-alliance.org
I'm 52 and have been sledding on and off since I was 5-6 years old. Rode around our pasture and driveway on an Elan 250 that the three of us kids shared and watched with envy as my dad and his buddies took off for the Pot Holes (see pic) or Gros Ventre on their Rupps. Got my first real backcountry riding experience in Phillips Canyon on Teton Pass on a 1972 AC Puma 340, my first sled (far left in the pic). Took my father's 1976 AC Panther 500 (far right in the pic) to college with me in Bozeman, MT but didn't get to ride it much. Got back into it to stay in 1999 when GSLim talked me into buying a couple of RMKs from Highmark in Boise. Now in the process of breaking in a 2018 Axys 800 163...need more damn snow!

Gotta say that I'm still into the sport because my dad took us kids out all the time and to this day, I haven't found a better way to enjoy the outdoors. With it came the greatest group of friends I have ever had, and that is priceless.

While I rarely lead, I'm thankful that I am still able to keep up with most of the people I ride with and keep becoming a better rider.

mom465.jpg

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
NOTHING WOULD MAKE ME HAPPIER!!!!!!!!

Last time my dad was sledding was when Yellowstone National Park had open unrestricted access..

I do miss those days. My oldest daughter was 2 when she rode double with me from west to Old Faithful and back. My Dad pulled a Ski Boose with my baby daughter and wife, now ex wife.

I do miss riding in the park.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I do miss those days. My oldest daughter was 2 when she rode double with me from west to Old Faithful and back. My Dad pulled a Ski Boose with my baby daughter and wife, now ex wife.

I do miss riding in the park.
I wasn't a member of the sport back then.
But he has some great stories to tell about how it was 20 years ago...

===

In 1963, a few visitors rode in aboard the first personal snow machines, the forerunners of today's snowmobiles.

In the late 1960s, the National Park Service decided to support this fledgling use of motorized snow vehicles, and in 1971, Yellowstone personnel were packing and smoothing the routes to Old Faithful and to park headquarters at Mammoth Hot Springs. On some days in the early 1990s, as many as 1,600 snowmobiles and snowcoaches entered the park. By the late 1990s, 150,000 winter visitors a year were flocking into Yellowstone.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
I'm 61 now, started on a 70 Arctic Cat Panther in 71. Fell through a scaffold in 2003 broke by back, knees, and ankles, hip implants, and now I've been diagnosed with Raynauds disease, (my toes get as big as tomatoes when they get cold) My doctor said time to move to AZ or FLA, nah, dropped 14K on a new 165 3" instead... I've got a lot of Iron to wear out, I dont ride very good anymore but I still love the exhilaration of riding a deep powder day, even if I'm gassed at 30 miles .. and besides I dont like to sweat. :face-icon-small-hap

IMG_0285.jpg

Sled Idaho

Lifetime Membership
Feb 14, 2002
McCall, Idaho
www.snowmobile-alliance.org
My dad called me a yesterday to ask if I would take him out sledding.
he's 74 now and hasn't been on a sled in years but wants to go out for the day!
Gotta Love it!!!

That will be cool...cherish that time. I took mine out for his last ever ride at Togwotee during the first Snowest group ride in 2001. At the time I didn't know it would be his last ride.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
That will be cool...cherish that time. I took mine out for his last ever ride at Togwotee during the first Snowest group ride in 2001. At the time I didn't know it would be his last ride.
AMEN TO THAT brother.
I have been bugging him for YEARS to come on a ride with me.
Trying to entice him with how much the technology has improved and how much MORE FUN it is to ride now than it was decades ago!

Hopefully I will get him hooked once again and we can go out and enjoy some time in the mountains together!!!:face-icon-small-hap

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
I am 48 (in a few days). First sled was a 1979 340 txl. I worked in several Polaris shops in high school and a little in college. One of my riding buddies who is 54 mentioned last year when we broke for lunch that he probably only had 5-10 years of mountain riding left in him. He is a young 54, but that statement really hit me. At our age, 10 years goes by fast. I said "hey we will always be coming up here, just maybe not to the same spots". Can't wait to tell him about this thread, nothing he hates more than being called a ^V$$7 - when I tell him how much older some of the guys are that posted on this thread he is gonna feel like one.

Cheers,
Perk

Premium Features