• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Taking on Snowmobile parts and accessories and asking for some input

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Since Extreme closed there really has been no place on the between Denver and the NM border that really support snowmobiles. Next Level Powersport's has made the decision to invest in the snowmobile market and we need some input.

What do you expect a shop to have in stock? We want to make sure and carry the products that you are looking for.

What determines whether you stop by and support local businesses or purchase online. Is it only price? We intend on matching any price that we can that doesn't involve us going into the red. The problem I see is where folks come in , try stuff on and then purchase somewhere else. This never gives us the opportunity to earn their business.

What brands would you like to see locally? I am mainly talking snowmobile specific. We are parts unlimited, Western Powersport's and Tucker rocky dealers already. We are talking about unique products that are not at your typical dealership.

We would also appreciate any general input you have about what you think makes a great snowmobile shop.

Thanks for all the input!

Z

Zachcreek

Oct 18, 2008
Buena Vista Colorado
Service will be the key, you will get people to buy from you when you provide good service. Unfortunately, the internet is where most people shop nowadays, even if the price is right or matched in their back yard. Free shipping and no tax. remember, you are competing with people that have extremely low overhead. Good Luck! Hope to see ya in SOCO this year

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Since Extreme closed there really has been no place on the between Denver and the NM border that really support snowmobiles. Next Level Powersport's has made the decision to invest in the snowmobile market and we need some input.

What do you expect a shop to have in stock? We want to make sure and carry the products that you are looking for.

What determines whether you stop by and support local businesses or purchase online. Is it only price? We intend on matching any price that we can that doesn't involve us going into the red. The problem I see is where folks come in , try stuff on and then purchase somewhere else. This never gives us the opportunity to earn their business.

What brands would you like to see locally? I am mainly talking snowmobile specific. We are parts unlimited, Western Powersport's and Tucker rocky dealers already. We are talking about unique products that are not at your typical dealership.

We would also appreciate any general input you have about what you think makes a great snowmobile shop.

Thanks for all the input!

That is an incredibly difficult question to answer since people are so used to just ordering whatever the hell they need online these days and having exactly what they want shipped to their door.

I wouldn't even know where to begin answering that and every single person will have a different answer.

You definatley don't want to overstock a bunch of crap that nobody will buy, so I'd say keep the mod parts to a minimum with the exception of stuff like SLP cans and air intakes, the simple stuff.... snow bungies, tunnel bags, etc ...

Tough road ahead of you to actually make ends meet with this ....

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
This is a tough predicament for you. I like to support local guys as much as possible, but at the end of the day we all want the best deal and that is usually online.

Clothing is hard to carry because there are so many sizes and color combos. If you are close to online pricing w/shipping, I'll buy from you even if you are a little more.

Sled parts are huge for me. It's frustrating that I can't buy a-arms or parts to get my sled up and going. The dealers always tell me that they will order it in. Yeah, I can do that. I realize it's hard to keep stuff in stock, but look at what sleds are popular (Poo Pro, XP, M8's etc) and keep some key parts in stock.

Support local clubs by offering discounts to club members. Push membership to people that buy sleds Maybe make your sled purchasers club members of local clubs (it's usually $40-$60). Create a social network of sledheads.

Lastly, customer service! Treat us like gold because we are you well being. Make sure your staff isn't condescending. Make sure they are friendly and like their jobs. Make sure it's a good experience for people to come into your environment. Learn your customers names and talk sledding like it's our life, because it is for me.

Last edited:

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
This is all great feedback. We are stocking parts for the newer M's , IQ stuff and the Skidoos. We bought out the remaining inventory from Colorado's Great outdoors and should have the BRP BUDS diagnostic system next week.

We are working on stocking a-arms for the popular sleds and we have a large Klim order due any day now. We already have a large selection of general sled items and most of the cool stuff. We also carry a full line of Spy goggles and sunglasses. We also have a BCA order in and plan on stocking ABS packs, beacons, probes and all the important stuff. We are also awaiting our Silber turbo order and look forward to getting some great running sleds on the snow.

I really like the suggestion about getting involved in the local clubs. This something we can take action on.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
This is all great feedback. We are stocking parts for the newer M's , IQ stuff and the Skidoos. We bought out the remaining inventory from Colorado's Great outdoors and should have the BRP BUDS diagnostic system next week.

We are working on stocking a-arms for the popular sleds and we have a large Klim order due any day now. We already have a large selection of general sled items and most of the cool stuff. We also carry a full line of Spy goggles and sunglasses. We also have a BCA order in and plan on stocking ABS packs, beacons, probes and all the important stuff. We are also awaiting our Silber turbo order and look forward to getting some great running sleds on the snow.

I really like the suggestion about getting involved in the local clubs. This something we can take action on.

A suggestion I might make, and I don't know how good or profitible of a suggestion it is .... but perhaps do something for a 'grand opening' and say that like %5 of every sale will go to WRFA or a local pro-access group for like a weekend or something.

I don't know if air time on KBPI would be very affordable, but I've heard other powersports places do promos with them.

I have no idea if that pans out economically to do that but it at least does get your name out there a little better.

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Sorry,

The name of the shop is Next Level Powersports. It is located at 2739 E. Monument st. in Colorado Springs.

Our website is in the process of getting updated and I will post more information shortly.

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
We are also in the process of making a website that you can order from and we will ship to you. Most of Colorado is next Day. We can also do call in's.

W
Dec 16, 2009
I'd focus on parts that are used to fix sleds. Take it from a guy who used to sell turbos, aftermarket accessories, lightweight parts, etc out of his garage. My biggest customer was building completely custom turbo sleds and shipping them to Canada. Well I guess I was my biggest customer.

In the end the local people who bought from me (who were not riding buddies) were people that had broken sleds and needed help quickly. In my old age (36) I've gotten to a point in my life where I hate wrenching on sleds. I travel 40% of the time and just don't have time. I want to drop my sled off and have it fixed. I'm happy to pay a 10% premium to not have to deal with this.

Also, Most of your customers are not going to be on any snowmobile forum. There is still a large population that is looking for good service and if the price is reasonable they will pay.

It probably goes without saying, but always, always, always have the basics. Multiple kinds of oil, plugs, belts, bulbs, good gas cans (not the Home Depot kind), carbides, et all. For clothing, the basics as well. helmets, goggles, baclavas, gloves, etc the stuff folks break or lose are the easy money makers.

Gmiller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Breckenridge Colorado
We have a little place in Summit County. Used to be run by a guy and everytime i walked in there i got looked at like i was a retard. The prices in this place were(and i can't say anymore because i don't go in there) OUTRAGOUS. The markup on simple things was stupid. I understand a bit of markup and would buy it locally if it was reasonable. I just stopped trying to even deal with the place because of the attitude and huge prices on everything. Granted the springs is a little farther away from me and i generally do everything myself now i would travel to your business for parts if i could get them for a decent price like online. Having things that break alot in the highcountry is what you need to sell. A-arms and everything in contact with them, we hit trees, rocks and other crap up here and mess up arms and spindles and whatnot. Also guys(not me of course) like to see how far they can roll a sled down the hill so keep that in mind. Hoods, handlebars and everything associated. ALSO im much more inclined to do business with someone if they can answer my questions. Keep that kind of stuff in mind and i think you'll do good. Ill send people your way when i can.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
Gmiller, I'm new to the area (moved to Dillon recently) and would be interested to hear which shop your referring too. I've only been to one polaris shop up here so far and couldn't get a good feel for if I liked them or not.

By the way I'm a fellow IQr rider... its a back up/jumping/spring sled now since I just picked up a pro though. We should hook up and ride this winter.

Just drop me a pm about the shop if you want so its not plastered up here.

TJ

Fast Rider

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2010
Bonney Lake, WA
As mentioned stock the common items. Always have your standard bearings and seals on hand (typical if you work on sleds anyways though). Including other smaller items that are common (exhaust springs, clutch springs, hyfax, etc). A arms are a great idea. It seems a lot of places carry Klim gear around here. From what I've seen their stuff seems pricey. HMK may be another option and Kirk is a good guy to deal with.

One thing that frustrates me is ordering parts. 70% of dealers I've worked with in the past require either full/partial payment for your parts before they will even order them. This is understandable, but maybe just ask for a credit card to have on hand, that way you have a means of obtaining payment, and tell them they will be charged a restocking fee if they decide to bail. If I break my sled on Sunday, work Monday to Friday, I can't get to the dealer I want to order from until Saturday since I'm out of town. That leaves me to wait another work cycle before I can obtain my parts and fix my sled and get out and ride again. Downtime always makes for unhappy/frustrated people. If you bend over backwards for your customers you will earn their business. If a customer is in a bind and you can help them out you will earn HUGE points. If a customer rolls in at closing time and needs a quick fix, guaranteed you will earn repeat business if you stay late to help them out. And lots of times they will plaster your goodwill all over the internet..earning even more business.

And one last thing...NEVER treat customers with disrespect or talk to them in a demeaning way. You never know who, or how many people these people know. Words spreads very, very fast. Make sure all of your customers are satisfied every time and your business will build itself.

Last edited:

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Try keeping stuff in stock and carry it in your trailer. Paint the trailer with the company logo. Now it's a writeoff.

That way, when somebody busts a a-arm, HANDLEBARS ;). steering posts, heim joints. You know, the chit that can ruin a weekend. They don't have to call every shop on the Western Slope to find one little part and can have it done right there in the lot and be riding again.

Get one of the apps that does the CC scanning right there on the hill. Plugs right into the smart phones.

Best wishes to ya!!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Stock the "must haves", not the things people would "like" to buy, it has been mentioned multiple times in the thread already, but online sales will kill local sales almost every time, unless the part is needed NOW. There are multiple Ebay and other stores that will simply drop-ship parts from distributors to your door for a profit of $10-$20 on a $200 part. Brick/mortar stores cannot afford to stock $200 parts for a potential profit of $10 if/when it sells. Drop shippers have entire catalogs of "inventory" available for drop-shipping with no labor or investment involved.
Western Power swears they don't support Ebay sales, but they don't care as they don't have a problem drop-shipping for whoever can wrangle an account from them. In the end, it is the distributors that are killing brick/mortar stores.
If I were you, I would establish a reliable system for ordering parts, give customers a discount and promise speedy delivery times if they special order parts from you. Make it a big deal that you promise delivery times and stand behind them with a discount if you cannot meet them, then be careful with checking stock and shipping before you order the part so that it doesn't come back on you. If people can get an item for a good price, in a couple of days, AND support local sales, that would be a win-win.

Premium Features