• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 ride report....few issues!!

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Yes. The front running boards suck on both models because they are identical. The back half that you never ever use is where they are different. Blows my mind on their design. They have these huge snow shovel like protective guards on the bottom side and they are capped with flat sheet metal with absolutely no traction on the top side. I brought this up when I rode one of the proto types. I can't believe this wasn't addressed. Hopefully Skinz Figures it out. The bottom side guards are going to need to be cut and beat in with a hammer to get rid of the large useless flat spot of the stock boards.

Agreed! I had skinz Rasmussen boards on my T3 and had no snow ever in the toe area. Just didn't like the step over bar. Why do they step everywhere on the entire chassis and not change the stamped design up front

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Chris you never cease to amaze me with your helpful posts. Now hurry up and install/test that MPI turbo so that you can convince me to put one on 1 of my 850's

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I never did understand why Doo went away from the floating secondary. My XM was way out. My Doo doctor secondary won't sit anywhere near close to the stock sec location. Its pretty interesting to see it in its floating position.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'll bet not too long before someone comes out with a billet replacement front section for those running boards. :face-icon-small-win

Summit X boards
8c78913e499a7d474ed351e10938ddc1.jpg

Summit SP boards
5473636874524817d3114d1d4c80ed52.jpg

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Them boards are purpose build to give you guys something to whine or mod. Either way no one seems happy unless they do a mod or 2 if it needs it or not -- like a dog pissing on a tree:face-icon-small-win If the boards fit the bill as you stump to pee on so be it for 99% they will work just fine.

R
Oct 10, 2014
Seems weird, reviews seem to be all over the board. Mine isn't in yet, but now am hesitant about not taking the sled and waiting a year or so to let them figure it out. I had a 12 Cat when they first changed and had to carry 3 belts per day. that got expensive so I don't want to have to relive that nightmare. Sold the T3, and have the 165X ordered. I told myself before I ordered it to wait a year, but Ski Doo marketing got the best of me. I had to have it. Got a chance to buy a 17 SC Axys, not sure what to do now.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Seems weird, reviews seem to be all over the board. Mine isn't in yet, but now am hesitant about not taking the sled and waiting a year or so to let them figure it out. I had a 12 Cat when they first changed and had to carry 3 belts per day. that got expensive so I don't want to have to relive that nightmare. Sold the T3, and have the 165X ordered. I told myself before I ordered it to wait a year, but Ski Doo marketing got the best of me. I had to have it. Got a chance to buy a 17 SC Axys, not sure what to do now.

Reviews don't seem all over the board at all. I've heard many more success stories than I've heard negative. Sometimes you just have to look for both, not just the bad. I'd pick that G4 up if I was you. There is always going to be a few bad cases here and there. When it is bad they'll tell 15 people when it is good they might tell 2.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Washington State
10 mile ****ty snow ride review...

POS has way to much power, throttle response is way to quick, and it's so balanced it falls over and throws me off way to easy. So many other stupid things that are better on this sled. That's just the 1st 10mile impression I got so far. So basically I'm saying this is way too much sled for me, should've kept the 14 800...

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I actually rode today in deep snow in the good old PNW. Those boards are not for our snow. They are seriously worse than XP boards. If you do any kind of back country riding they are going to be a problem. You cant just hop around the sled. You have to dodge the massive snowballs and stay back on the boards where the X boards start. Unfortunately Skinz told me nothing before January.

Cat man doo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2012

Two days on mine now. Coming off a 13 Cat with 16 front end, 156x3, and much more. Can honestly say, this is twice the sled and the cat worked good. Climb anything. Balance is superb. Effortless to lay it over. The motor, WOW ! She pulls. Loving it so far. No belt dust after 165km. Put spare belt on at end of day to break it in. No issues at all.
5f67ac91f7a290d879794309de8775a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

B
Apr 13, 2004
GJ COLO
look closely for the details....

The ease of clicker adjustments and weight changes are so nice on this new clutch. We hope it helps speed up the process in getting a really good clutch combo for the type of riding we do.

they are real simple and easy to work with! But the actual settings can be difficult to read. I would recommend you check your clickers to make sure they're all set alike from the shop....:spider:

Besides the performance gains from this new clutch, the simplicity and access to rollers, pins, and weights are fantastic! I love how easy this new setup is to clean and service... Clean clutches are happy clutches!!

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Mountain View, Wyoming 82939
First ride today on the 165x. Dang thing made me giggle all day long. So much more room to move around. Power gets to the ground like never before. Amazing torque and response. You can literally make it bunny hop out of the snow with a little preload and a burp of the throttle. I Like the clutching so far. 10,000', 18" of dry snow, click 3.
250lb rider, 6'6" tall. #4 on rear skid spring, stock limiter with a little extra preload, #3 on front ski springs. Handles like a much shorter sled but gets incredible traction. Make sure handlebaR riser is inline with steering post or it is very unpredictable. All foam left in for now. Clutches same temp as the xms with me. Hit some good size land mines today but zero damage. Everyone that got on it during the day loved it. I am extremely happy with this thing right out of the box. And that has never happened to me! Ever.

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
I put about 75 KM on my 8 fiddy today in some of the best conditions EVER!!!! Blower powder all day.

I did have one problem though, my throttle cable stuck on WIDE OPEN and scared the crap out of me!!!

Had to take the sled apart on the mountain and it was not an easy task. I suggest taking proper tools as that one little tool on the sled does not work well.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this sled!!!

PS: 198 km and belt looks perfect

213b66d27463ce63bcf1e03b4a7414b7.jpg

205cc0e6f1e93d3b4cc2aec1ac7eeb67.jpg

a7874919d721e9aa28478864753d41be.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features