• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dynotech gets 170+ HP from the new 850

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Sinceere question....

Where does it say that the crank on the 850 is 2 lbs less than the 800 E-Tech crank? I must have missed it but would like to see that.

I thought the new clutch was 2 lbs lighter than the heavy TRA?

I've heard great things about this new 850 from people that I respect in the field that have some seat time on the sled and are not compensated in some way by SkiDoo... some are die hard Polaris riders.

Keep on pushing the envelope BRP!

The new clutch is 2.8 lbs lighter than the tra. And the thing I've been hearing is the clutch and crank lost equal weights. I can't remember where I heard that though.

D
Sep 10, 2014
''The motor is 1.6 inches/40mm narrower than the 800R E-Tec, has a 2.8-pound lighter two-piece forged crankshaft, which means the motor spends 15% less inertia (energy) to spin the crank''

Said in an article from snowmobile.com about the new summit.

Last edited:

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I often times don't agree with Brother John, but this time I do ... The new drive clutch is a huge move forward for Skidoo and if your a mountain rider you have to like the torque of the 850 ... The only complaint I have heard about the 2017 sled is the 3.5 pitch on hard pack vibrates, Who Really Cares about hard pack.

DPG

LOL

It is closer to "you always say stupid ****" and "I always have to correct you"-BJ:face-icon-small-coo

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
I can believe 170 hp, it feels like it. Torque is nuts glad I bought one. I got two axys stock vs stock the doo will eat the axys power wise and feel. Boosted axys won't b touched

ArcticChat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2014
The 2015 and 2016 Polaris motors are not even the same motor.

I believe that Dynotech had a '15 Axys Rush dynoed which is esentially same motor wise as the '16 Axys Pro. Think thats why they stated numbers for the '15 & '16 motor. Could be wrong. To your point though I agree the 'newest' Pol 800 is much improved power wise to the previous.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Anybody who rode an 850 last year not super impressed with the power? Seat of the pants it felt like my 16 was quicker, jumping back and forth. I wondered if the one we rode had a problem or the clutch out of adjustment for altitude? (It was dumping snow, lots of peeps around, BRP rep hovering, no way to tinker with it at the time.)
I then realized that I was comparing a perfectly clutched broken in 16 154 to a new 165, so that may have been the difference. Still, I was expecting more.
I don't doubt that the 850 is going to be amazing, was just curious if anyone else felt like they rode a lemon 850?

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Unfortunately I have yet to be on a "demo" ride from any manufacturer that had their demo units running a top performance.

Rode some turbo Yamahas on a demo ride once that were real close to spot on. But that is the only one.

All the Polaris, Skidoo rides not so much......

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'm a "Polaris guy"... I think that is plain to see.

AND...

I've always been impressed with the Austrian Rotax engines and Fitch has the Etech engine management down-pat...

Doo Build quality is high...

So, I think that this sled, with it's 80mm stroke is going to be a power house.

I think that there will be riding character differences from an 850 compared to the 800's... as the longer heavier rotating mass will induce gyroscopic effects on the chassis....but, the new chassis is designed to be more nimble.... so, In the end... we'll see how it is when all the consumers have their sleds on the snow with some months of riding under their belts.

IMO... this thing is going to be a powerhouse!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I'm a "Polaris guy"... I think that is plain to see.

AND...

I've always been impressed with the Austrian Rotax engines and Fitch has the Etech engine management down-pat...

Doo Build quality is high...

So, I think that this sled, with it's 80mm stroke is going to be a power house.

I think that there will be riding character differences from an 850 compared to the 800's... as the longer heavier rotating mass will induce gyroscopic effects on the chassis....but, the new chassis is designed to be more nimble.... so, In the end... we'll see how it is when all the consumers have their sleds on the snow with some months of riding under their belts.

IMO... this thing is going to be a powerhouse!!

And then we bolt on the TURBOS....:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Unfortunately I have yet to be on a "demo" ride from any manufacturer that had their demo units running a top performance.

Rode some turbo Yamahas on a demo ride once that were real close to spot on. But that is the only one.

All the Polaris, Skidoo rides not so much......

Lol, you should have seen the Poo demos that came through here last year. Every single one had over 2" of belt deflection, they performed horribly until I adjusted every one.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Lol, you should have seen the Poo demos that came through here last year. Every single one had over 2" of belt deflection, they performed horribly until I adjusted every one.

Exactly my point.

Rode the Axys demo 2 springs ago. We had to wire tie the clutch guard back on as it fell off. The antifreeze bottle fell off. And several other things.

I've been on doo demo rides that have involved tearing apart the clutch to remove the low elevation clutching.

List goes on and on.

For the first time person on a demo ride, they can be a real let down. As you hope it would run.

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
Anybody who rode an 850 last year not super impressed with the power? Seat of the pants it felt like my 16 was quicker, jumping back and forth. I wondered if the one we rode had a problem or the clutch out of adjustment for altitude? (It was dumping snow, lots of peeps around, BRP rep hovering, no way to tinker with it at the time.)
I then realized that I was comparing a perfectly clutched broken in 16 154 to a new 165, so that may have been the difference. Still, I was expecting more.
I don't doubt that the 850 is going to be amazing, was just curious if anyone else felt like they rode a lemon 850?
when I rode the demo it felt stronger than my 13 XM, but not as much as I was expecting. later that day we replaced the belt and set the deflection correctly and that woke it up quite a bit. to be clear about the amount of improvement, if the 850 originally felt like it was 10 hp stronger than the etec, after the belt change, felt like another 10 hp.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I had the 850 white and orange 165 that went through Washington for a whole day to myself after they let everyone ride it all day at Baker. I was floored at the bottom end it had. Fastest Ski Doo out of the hole I have ridden ever. I have seat time on Trygstad and I have owned multiple BoonDocker turbo'd Doo's. If someone didn't think this sled blows previous Etecs out of the water they definitely rode a different set up then what I rode...

Premium Features