• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

extended the track 'cooling issue'

B

bustamove

Oct 31, 2010
ive extended my 151 to 159 and the back end of the cooler use to be just over or close to the end of the track. now its obvs pushed forward. i was just looking at pics of a 166 and its further back then what i have now/

first ride out with the new track i thought maybe the snow was too heavy to flick but even with scratches i had to stop 3 times to pack snow. its hard to look back and see where the snow is going when im riding unfortunately, i cant see if it hitting the exchanger or not.

but im wondering if i should move the cooler back towards the rear or maybe look at buying an aftermarket one to keep the 900 cooler. has anyone eles had this problem?

B

bustamove

Oct 31, 2010
Yes when I first put the 159 on, then I bent up out of the way essentialy no flap.

Do you think this makes a big difference for cooling?

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Port the Track

I Port all my Tracks. Here is an old edge pic.

picture.php

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
I've got same problem. Extended from 151 to 163. Cooler is now to far forward and does not catch as much snow. cooling is fine is deep powder but is a major issue on the trails. The cooler either needs to be moved back or since the 900's have inadequate coolers a larger cooler installed. I'm having a bigger cooler made for mine because with the poor snow conditions this year I can not even ride my sled without constantly checking the temp Guage :face-icon-small-dis

B

bustamove

Oct 31, 2010
yeah ive done some things like bent slow flap back so it doesn't catch in the track. i looked at the VE coolers, i don't have enough cash this year for one. i even thought about maybe fabbing a second 900 cooler in the back if i found one used.

I just welded washers to my scratchers to try and kick up more snow. my reason for doing this was if i were to drag my boot while driving down the trail i could actually cool my sled from 75-80C to 65-70.

post some pics of your custom cooler when you get it installed.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Different sled, but same idea. I went from a 159 to 174. First test ride I had the same tunnel & cooler location. It ran pretty hot, but never turned the temp light on. I happened to pull the head between test rides (needed to heli coil a cylinder), and my cylinder head O-rings were just a tad bit melted. I had taken the head off prior to that first test ride and they were OK. So it was definitely running hot that first test ride.

Next ride I extended the tunnel and moved the cooler back. Much cooler (measured using a multimeter with a thermocouple on the cylinder head, not an accurate measure of operating temps, but works for comparisons). I run scratchers, and with just the rear stock Edge cooler (removed front cooler) it works fine and doesn't get hot. So yes, having a snow flap and the cooler in the right location will help.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
yeah ive done some things like bent slow flap back so it doesn't catch in the track. i looked at the VE coolers, i don't have enough cash this year for one. i even thought about maybe fabbing a second 900 cooler in the back if i found one used.

I just welded washers to my scratchers to try and kick up more snow. my reason for doing this was if i were to drag my boot while driving down the trail i could actually cool my sled from 75-80C to 65-70.

post some pics of your custom cooler when you get it installed.

I was going to do the same thing with a second 900 cooler. Would be pretty easy to do just slide your original one back a little or all the way if you want and mount the other one in front of it. Then run the hose into one cooler and run a hose from the output of that cooler across the tunnel to the second cooler. If you have the stock plastic on the back it would cover the hoses. You can find those coolers on ebay.

If you know someone who can weld aluminum you can buy the pieces to make your own for about half the cost of the Van Amburg. Fabcraft also sells coolers and they sell the Aluminum to make your own. http://www.fabcraft.com/coolers.php

B

bustamove

Oct 31, 2010
just tried out the my washers on the scratchers mod, 900 was soo cool it didn't know what to do with itself. ran 54-57C on the trail. it wasn't hard ice, but hard packed snow with a bit of powder ontop, but still without scratchers it got upto 80C within about 15 min of trail. i would highly recommend them to anyone who doesn't have a problem in the powder just on the trails going up.

Last edited:

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Custom cooler deal fell through, cost was going to be way higher for the materials so I went on ebay and searched around for coolers. I found a bunch of SkiDoo MXZ800ZX 2000-2003 coolers that are 26 x 10, stock cooler is 17 long. I have 26.5 inches from the back of my extension to where the stock extension rivets on. The only issue is the hoses will be 3 inches further forward. I figure I will have to drill two holes in the tunnel and make a cover between to hide the hoses. I'll post pics when I get it done.

G
Nov 26, 2007
calgary
cooling

did a swap 144 to 159 changed the tunnel and side rail coolers to the 159-166 stuff no issues with heating. The rear tunnel extension is different from 144-151 to 159-166

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
did a swap 144 to 159 changed the tunnel and side rail coolers to the 159-166 stuff no issues with heating. The rear tunnel extension is different from 144-151 to 159-166

That would probably have worked if I did that but the 900 has always had cooling issues when riding on trails without fresh snow. I figure I should never have any heating issues about with a cooler that is 35% bigger than stock.

Premium Features