• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

best way to remove broken clutch tool from crank???

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
have seen a couple of posts on this, my buddie snapped his off today. any ideas besides drilling it out? broke off flush with the clutch so can't get any thing to grab it. its on a 07 M1000...

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Can you take the top plate off the towers and get a wrench, vice grips or nut welded on the end? It'll buy you a bit of room.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
if he is not salvaging his clutch or will sacrifice his inner sheave...small angle grinder with cutting wheel a do length way cut as far back as you can (close to sheave) and as deep as comfortable with out hitting crank then a little wack with a good cold chisel in the cut and it should come off

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
ps...sometimes you can work the puller out with a punch chisel hammering it if there is ridges or an edge etc to hit or possibly grind a slot in end of puller and use a impact/hammer screwdriver

What i would try is if its flat with the clutch.(dont know if it would work.) But use a Dremel and a small cutting disk and cut a small slot in the end of the puller where it broke off. Then use a ratchet with a slotted screwdriver bit and try backing it out . Back and forth to lossen it up . May work, just another idea i would try befor i started cutting the clutch............

:beer;:beer;:beer;

Last edited:
F

Flatbed

Dec 17, 2007
Wyoming
Broke puller

If you are a welder or know somebody that is, try this. Get a three inch pipe nipple that is the same OD size as the OD of your puller or a tad smaller. A tad smaller would be better. Cut the threads off of the nipple on both ends back to where the nipple is thickest. Cut the nipple down to a size were you have enough length to weld a nut to the nipple. Use a 3/32 rod and weld the nipple on the inside to the broke puller. Then weld the nut to the puller or try vise grips first on the nipple. Let the welds cool first then put a little heat on the clutch. It should work I hope.

Last edited:
F

Flatbed

Dec 17, 2007
Wyoming
Puller

I forgot to add. Do not use this set up to remove your clutch. It is not strong enough. It is only to get your broken puller out of your clutch.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
pilot hole

Drill down the center of the puller with about a 3/16 drill carefully using lots of oil to cool and lube, then drill it out with increasingly larger bits until you've got a 1/2" hole, that will then cut off the stub that's down in the crank, once you have relieved that pressure the puller can be turned out with a big easy out.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
If he snapped the puller he has a lot of pressure on it. Ride it around the shop a couple times and it should fall off. Did he try a heavy drift against the puller bolt and whack it good a few times?

I use this approach to all my broken bolts. in this order.

try to grab it with vice grips
try to spin it out with a punch
try to weld the next bigger nut onto the broken bolt....wait til it cools down to below 300*
center punch the dead center and start drilling with a left handed bit.
try to extract with an extractor
heat and try extractor again
******wash the bolt out with a torch or plasma cutter only attempt if you are very competent with a torch/plasma, there is no room for error.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
If he snapped the puller he has a lot of pressure on it. Ride it around the shop a couple times and it should fall off. Did he try a heavy drift against the puller bolt and whack it good a few times?

I am surprised this has been recomended... And more than once!

IMO if he does the above, and the clutch does come off, he is going to have much more serious problems.

Premium Features