• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2006 700 rebuild questions

K
Oct 29, 2014
Ok, I have an 06 700 that is blown up. Are there oversized pistons if I need to bore the cylinder? I haven't found any but I could be looking in the wrong spot.
Joe

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
Carl's cycle use to make a Big bore kit for the 900 that made it a 975. I'm not sure if they produced one for the 700 or not. Might try googling carl's cycle big bore kit fusion 700 and see if that turns anything up

K
Oct 29, 2014
So it appears that I need to replace the cylinders with reconditioned ones. The best deal I have found is $245.00 a piece from US Chrome. Does anyone know of a better deal?

Also
This engine got hot...melty hot. Its sister sled which I also have has 675 miles on it so I will guess The 700 had that before it was ran without oil.
Is it possible the crank survived and what am I inspecting for?
Thanks
Joe

K
Oct 29, 2014
OK,
If your following this, Cylinders look good, small scuff on both pistons below ring land ex/int/front side. I am going to replace the rings, clean up the ports and bolt it back together after inspecting the crank although it seems solid. It seems to have got so hot because the impeller on the water pump gave up. The water pump housing was also "torn". It appears to have been run without water until gasket failure. If the 700's overheat like the 900's then the problem is most likely over heating not oil starvation. Both sleds I got failed at the same time while riding together so my guess is 10 miles on an icy trail.
Joe

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
OK,
If your following this, Cylinders look good, small scuff on both pistons below ring land ex/int/front side. I am going to replace the rings, clean up the ports and bolt it back together after inspecting the crank although it seems solid. It seems to have got so hot because the impeller on the water pump gave up. The water pump housing was also "torn". It appears to have been run without water until gasket failure. If the 700's overheat like the 900's then the problem is most likely over heating not oil starvation. Both sleds I got failed at the same time while riding together so my guess is 10 miles on an icy trail.
Joe
Sounds like whoever had the sled never did the radiator delete or they never ran the radiator and rear cooler in a series. That was the worst setup I have seen Polaris do because the coolant is going to flow down the path of least resistance and most of the time it ends up not flowing to where you are going to get the best cooling. I would talk the radiator and run scratches or run the rad and rear cooker in a series

Sent from my HTC on Tapatalk

Premium Features