• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

clutch/chaincase sounds bad

clutch/chaincase sounds bad.. if i'v just began riding and touching the throttle it will grind and won't engage (secondary') same if backing up so forward it will make a "knock" sound. and i think there are som noise in the chaincase also but can be just me :face-icon-small-con :confused:

thanks
svein

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
I'd lift it off the ground and take the belt off to see if you can spin the track. If you can't or hear some noise in the cain case maybe take the cover off and see if the chain and gears are ok. If its a jackshaft bearing or something maybe someone else can help you on here. I hope it's not to bad.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
clutch/chaincase sounds bad.. if i'v just began riding and touching the throttle it will grind and won't engage (secondary') same if backing up so forward it will make a "knock" sound. and i think there are som noise in the chaincase also but can be just me :face-icon-small-con :confused:

thanks
svein

If I understand you correctly Svein, when you give it some throttle, the sled makes a grinding noise, and does not move forward at all?
When this happens, is your belt spinning? and both clutches?

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
you need to remove your speedo housing under the secondary..i am willing to bet you spun the driveshaft bearing and it took out the housing as well..

when that happens it jacks the shaft when you start to move..and puts a load on the gears and in turn throughout the jackshaft to your secondary.. (happen to my wifes 06 rmk 700 and it was bad)

check that, and remove your chaincase cover to see in there as well..

have a look at the bearing behind the secondary on that shaft as well, might want to replace them all while your in there...

hm, don't think my english is the best, pulled the cover now and gears and chain looked fine, oil was a little grey. chain was a little loose i think, how tigth should that be?
the grinding noise is just in the first couple of meters of the day, just some seconds and then it's fine out the day, outran my buddy's M7 in the hills so it can't be all bad. :D

Blew a belt today! full throttle over an ice with a couple of feet with pow. only small parts left, my spare was a no fit 3211114. got a wrong belt :mad:
the belt i blew was 3211080 is this the original belt? or what should i use,

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Blew a belt today! full throttle over an ice with a couple of feet with pow. only small parts left, my spare was a no fit 3211114. got a wrong belt :mad:
the belt i blew was 3211080 is this the original belt? or what should i use,

Lots of guys use 080's but I would stick with the 115. Sounds like your clutches might need to be torn down and looked at. Things start wearing badly in as little as 1500 miles. I just replaced worn weight bushings at 1650 and they were not wearing evenly at all.

finally got a little clue whats going on with my secondary, pushed some snow and it started "grind, lifted the hood and see the belt spins and goes down in the secondary but it wont go around....? :face-icon-small-con
any suggestions? weak spring, the rollers? it is the original clutch BTW.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
you need to remove your speedo housing under the secondary..i am willing to bet you spun the driveshaft bearing and it took out the housing as well..

when that happens it jacks the shaft when you start to move..and puts a load on the gears and in turn throughout the jackshaft to your secondary.. (happen to my wifes 06 rmk 700 and it was bad)

check that, and remove your chaincase cover to see in there as well..

have a look at the bearing behind the secondary on that shaft as well, might want to replace them all while your in there...
I think Sean has a good suggestion here on what to check first.
If all else fails, shoot a video of the problem in action and we may be able to help more.
Dan

Premium Features