• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

YZ450FX - 2017/2018 or 2019 for Snowbike Build

lanark_lad

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2010
Lanark, Ontario
Hi everyone, hoping to get some opinions on which bike to use for a new build this year. I'm coming off a 07 WR450 with an 18 Camso DTS. I'm on the east coast so no major mountain riding but it does get cold (-30C/-22F some mornings). I doubt i will ride it in the summer. It will be on a 2020 Riot LE.

I'm looking at getting a new 2017, 18 or 19 YZ450FX. The 17 is $8500 CDN, the 18 is $9000 CDN and the 19 is $10000. I'm pretty sure i can wait until the 2020's are out this summer and the 2019 should drop to around $9000.

My first instinct is to go for the 2019 due to the wifi tuner app and a few other upgrades but the lack of a kick start option concerns me. I usually have it covered in the back of my truck but i often drive 2-3 hours to ride so it gets cold. I don't mind boosting it with jumper pack but have had issues with my WR450 starting at -25C after being the back of the truck. Took a lot of tries with battery and more than a few kicks to start.

I'm planning on getting a rekluse radiusCX, heated bars with thermo, intake kit, engine jacket, better seat, airpro and pipe shields with it. Any other accessories worth looking at?

thanks

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
Just my opinion, but if you are not looking at riding it on the dirt, you would probably be better off to go with a YZ instead. The '18 can be had at a reasonable price and also has the wifi tuner app but has a more aggressive power profile right off the bat.

The newer bikes will all start easier than your WR, so the lack of a kick-start is not that big of a deal. My riding partner and I both carry a lithium booster pack on our rides for the just-in-case situations, but have never had to use them after the first start even on the coldest of days.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
The FX is a better summer bike and has a light , it is also a bit heavier.

The Yz can handle a light bar with its power output.

Both will work fine find the best deal.

Don't even try to start it real cold without a booster pack, or straight of the running truck is even better when it is real cold.

Yamalube 0-40 for that cold weather work is a must.

lanark_lad

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2010
Lanark, Ontario
thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. Looks i can get a 2018 YZ for about 8500. I had thought about a YZ but figured the wide ratio was a little better in the snow for my style. I'll do some more research on the wide/close ratio gears to see which i'd like better

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
"For what it's worth"

We have 4 Yamaha snowbikes.....2014 and 2015 F and two 2016FX. All 4 have been reliable and work very well as snowbikes. We prefer the F's as far as the gearing (tighter ratio) but prefer the FX for the electric start. If I were upgrading, I would want the electric start F, which I believe started in 2018. That said, the FX gearing is not awful, just not quite as sweet as the F.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
If you do any riding at high speed, get wider ratio trans. You got enough power at low alt either way, but rapped out at 55mph or whatever my YZ does would be better if it was 70.....for the one place I ride that you can open a bike up for more than 10 seconds.
My kid passed me on his 550 last year!

L
Oct 5, 2016
I have a 19 450fx. The wifi tuner is wicked. I changed the battery to lead one , a little heavier but I haven’t had to jump it all year.

Worst case in cold weather you can use your pick up exhaust with flex tube to warm your bike engine. We use that trick on equipment and dump trucks. It works well.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Gearing will always be tough. The sx models are best for deep and steep. They all are limited on top speed, but there is no reason to not gear a sx up if you ride in areas with less snow , the lower gears always feel slow unless you are in deep snow. It is really the gap between 2 and 3 that is hard on the snow kit. the SX bikes have a more even spacing from gear to gear. I am always looking for the 6th gear thats not there. But Blue is the toughest bike My snow bikes have all been Yamahas -- best valve train and all arround quality.

lanark_lad

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2010
Lanark, Ontario
thanks for the input everyone. Now i'm somewhat stuck on which one to get. The YZ looks like alot of fun as well but definitely needs a larger gas tank. It might come down to which dealer has which bike when the summer comes around. Sounds like i can't go wrong either way though.

Its great to hear about the pros/cons from both sides, thanks everyone for chiming in.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I have a 19 450fx. The wifi tuner is wicked. I changed the battery to lead one , a little heavier but I haven’t had to jump it all year.

Worst case in cold weather you can use your pick up exhaust with flex tube to warm your bike engine. We use that trick on equipment and dump trucks. It works well.

Did you have to do any modifications to make the lead acid battery fit? It seems like this would be a necessary first step on any 18 or newer F with the lithium ion battery.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I live in the west but grew up in your area. There's no question I would run the YZ here in the steep and deep, and I do, but for your elevation and terrain knowing it as I do I think the FX is probably a better fit with the wide ratio. Its not so much the snow depth, its the lack of elevation and the flatness of the terrain compared to the west. Basically you are at or near sea level. The FX is going to work well in Ontario and Quebec, it will have lots of jam. If you are switching from a Camso to the Riot you are already 30 lbs ahead of the game so even with the FX's extra weight your overall setup will still be lighter. The weight doesn't matter. You wont feel the 2-3 gap like we do out here.

M5

lanark_lad

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2010
Lanark, Ontario
ya, i'm still leaning towards the FX. There's a lot more F's available now that i'm looking though. When I really think about it, my riding styles is more geared to the wide ratio. I like the old WR that i have but its just not nearly powerful enough.

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
All of the bikes mentioned need additional fuel for an average ride. Even with my WR (2015 older style - no backwards motor) I carry a 2.2 gallon jug and tend to use it all in a 5 hour ride.

My reason for recommending the YZ in my first post is because you aren't planning to ride it in the dirt. In my area, the '18 YZ is the cheap(er) option, lighter than the FX, still has electric start, has the tuner app, still has a good stator for lights, and is "uncorked" and as powerful as you would need.

So... in my opinion, the only thing the FX has that the YZ does not (for snow bike use) is the skid plate.

Since I ride this bike year-round, I actually prefer the WR transmission because I like the super low first gear for loading up, getting out of some hairy situations - and getting a few extra MPH on the trails. The majority of my riding is done in third gear, and even with the 40 +/- HP I don't have a problem pulling that gear at 5 - 6K feet.

Last edited:

lanark_lad

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2010
Lanark, Ontario
All of the bikes mentioned need additional fuel for an average ride. Even with my WR (2015 older style - no backwards motor) I carry a 2.2 gallon jug and tend to use it all in a 5 hour ride.

My reason for recommending the YZ in my first post is because you aren't planning to ride it in the dirt. In my area, the '18 YZ is the cheap(er) option, lighter than the FX, still has electric start, has the tuner app, still has a good stator for lights, and is "uncorked" and as powerful as you would need.

So... in my opinion, the only thing the FX has that the YZ does not (for snow bike use) is the skid plate.

Since I ride this bike year-round, I actually prefer the WR transmission because I like the super low first gear for loading up, getting out of some hairy situations - and getting a few extra MPH on the trails. The majority of my riding is done in third gear, and even with the 40 +/- HP I don't have a problem pulling that gear at 5 - 6K feet.

I'll definitely be bringing gas with me, i currently have a 2.8 gallon tank on the bike and i carry a 10L/2.6G can with me and have used it up a couple of days. For some reason i thought the 19 FX had a 2.2G tank but i double checked and its only 1.8 so really not much of a difference.

The 18 YZ is definitely the cheaper bike here from dealers with inventory and once the 2020s come out, im hoping some of the 19's may drop in price as well.

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
I think the older WR was the only one with the 2.2 tank, and when they updated that to the new motor / frame the larger tank went away. One of my riding buddies is on a 2017 FX and he generally uses a little bit more fuel than me over the course of the day, but some of that is probably riding style. Not sure if the 0.2 gallons really amounts to much. As soon as my fuel light comes on (at 0.5 gallons) I get nervous and stop to top off. On most days, once that light comes on for the second time I am smoked and ready to head for the truck anyway. Once I top off my jug again, there is usually 0.5 gallons left so that is my "reserve." I wouldn't view the smaller tank as a negative. The less weight up high on the bike, the easier it will be to stand back up after you do something cool and end up upside down... :)

L
Oct 5, 2016
Did you have to do any modifications to make the lead acid battery fit? It seems like this would be a necessary first step on any 18 or newer F with the lithium ion battery.

I don’t believe there was anything major required. The dealer I bought it off of swapped it out for me so I’m not too sure.

lanark_lad

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2010
Lanark, Ontario

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Don’t know about the gas tank thing, but you will love an FX. I ride one at high elevation in the western mountains and it works awesome. Sure my buddies on an F have a slightly quicker revving motor, but it doesn’t really matter much. The FX is nothing like the older WR’s. I would not hesitate at all to buy a 19 FX.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Don’t know about the gas tank thing, but you will love an FX. I ride one at high elevation in the western mountains and it works awesome. Sure my buddies on an F have a slightly quicker revving motor, but it doesn’t really matter much. The FX is nothing like the older WR’s. I would not hesitate at all to buy a 19 FX.
As far as the wide ratio transmission, it is not quite as good in the powder between 2nd and 3rd. I will be rebuilding my entire motor this summer because it’s time and plan on putting in 1-4 gears from an F. But, it really hasn’t been that big a deal. Just feel like I could get the best of both worlds that way. Love the tall 5th!

Premium Features