• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CR Resto snowbike

N
Well, after doing some research on my YZ250X and finding out it would probably suffice I stumbled upon this locally for $2k cdn, it runs fine and everything works so figured why not give it a shot?

Needs some loving but going to strip it down to the frame, powdercoat and build it back up replacing whatever needs replacing and build it into a dedicated snowbike. It may not be as nice as a nice new YZ450F but in the end its still secondary to my sled and cost me much less.. and if the day comes I buy a new bike it'll make for an awesome back up/buddy bike!

53843167_10156216219832951_1985019857124458496_n.jpg

Any tips/info etc on these would be great, don't know much about them to be honest just that they're highly sought after.

I'll document progress here, starting tomorrow with cleanup and likely begin teardown!

N
Two timbersleds I tried had estart, two others didn’t. It won’t be perfect I know but with a decomp valve it shouldn’t be too bad, I can deal with it. There is kits available for it but at an awful high $.

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
[QUOTE You will be suffering with no e-start...]
This is a really strange comment. I disagree 100% You will not suffer at all.
That will make a great snowbike. Have fun.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I have one as do others on here. On that bike I would go for the Camso kit. I sold my TS kit off of my CR5 last fall. It went great in a straight line but was a handful to turn. You will need carb heat on that motor, they move so much air that freeze up is virtually guaranteed. While you can do without it I would send the head to Adam Millar and have him install a decomp valve, it makes kick starting a breeze. You could add a thermostat but I don't run one I just monitor temps and add and subtract my rad guards as needed. Find yourself a spare pipe because you will be cracking pipes about every 10 rides, weld it up and go again. There's lots of threads on here about the CR5 do some searching and you will find them.

M5

Last edited:
N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
I have one as do others on here. On that bike I would go for the Camso kit. I sold my TS kit off of my CR5 last fall. It went great in a straight line but was a handful to turn. You will need carb heat on that motor, they move so much air that freeze up is virtually guaranteed. While you can do without it I would send the head to Adam Millar and have him install a decomp valve, it makes kick starting a breeze. You could add a thermostat but I don't run one I just monitor temps and add and subtract my rad guards as needed. Find yourself a spare pipe because you will be cracking pipes about every 10 rides, weld it up and go again. There's lots of threads on here about the CR5 do some searching and you will find them.

M5
Why do they crack out so much?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
The turning problem is a result of the geometry of the frame... that was the biggest difference for me going from the 97 cr500 to a modern frame... also remember that engine is a great plug in to a more modern ktm chassis with minimal welding... I kick all day it is just as big of a deal as when you have wheels...you will figure it out.. you will have a blast... much better to have 2 bikes...I have a fit kit for a 15 timbersled and a strut rod...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

N
I think I’m going to do a steely resto (and modernize front end if I can) but if I can find a blown KTM I’ll pick it up. Hard part being here they aren’t the most popular brand due to no dealers. Are there any years or models in particular that are easiest?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I have seen them all years from about 2008 up ... being a steel frame makes it a lot easier.. that being said you want to make the geometry much less slack and much more like a modern motocross bike is what I have liked the most...

N
I could see the benefits for sure and I have access to a pretty good welding shop for any modifcations I would have to do. However if I do not find a bike sometime soon do do you know if a 2nd gen crf front end could swap straight on if triple clamps were included or if forks could fit into stock triples? I believe I saw your name in an old fork thread, I may have found a 06 450x front end to swap over.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I swapped to 06 forks and triples... I actually still have a race tech valving kit in the box for it...

M
Jan 14, 2004
The 450 x forks will need a respring for sure but they will bolt up using the 450X triples. Go to the All Balls bearing site and use their fork converter to find the correct conversion bearings. New forks will help but they aren't the entire issue by a long shot, they don't make an old frame design new. As far as KTM frames go you want an 08 or newer 450 four stroke frame as it has the deep cradle the 500 motor needs. SXF frames need frame mods in order to take the engine and 250 frames are too small. I have an 08 530 XCR frame here same as an XC or EXC frame less the steering lock, if I don't do the swap this summer and sell my 500 I will sell you the frame, forks, triples etc.

M5

N
Good to know, shipping would be a killer but certainly an option. I know the geometry doesn’t really get updated with just front end swap but I figured it would help a lot with the ski. I’m not too focused on frame as I do plan on turning it into a full time snowbike or a garage show piece, I have my X for summer riding. I am tearing it apart now and it is certainly showing it’s age but overall not too bad, going to need new rads as well so may change it to engine ice while I am at it.

With these bikes is the issue typically running to hot or cold? I know snowbikes can be a nuisance but I am hoping I can get away without running a tunnel cooler. Will have to figure out carb heat somehow with the lectron/snartcarb I plan on buying for it.

R
Apr 18, 2016
My 500 runs hot on the trail and cool in the powder. I don't crack pipes as often, but usually run stock pipes. I have a stash of probably 20 pipes and make repairs in batches when I am in the mood. Carb heat is a must. I like my thermostat and for me a tunnel cooler was a must as well. I am a big guy at 6'4" and around 260, I don't mind the handling of the chopper at all. I put really heavy springs in the front of mine on stock 96 up oil bath KYB and don't mind the ride or the turning at all. I'm on a 137 and the thing is super long for sure but all the little dudes on KTM's with 129 Yeti kits don't seem to be able to lose me in the trees or anywhere else.

I've been on CR500's since 1988. I rode steely's for years and still ride them. I have an AF I use for singletrack work but never had a problem with my steely's. You just learn to turn with your right wrist. I don't mind the stability of the CR500 and of all the snowbikes I have ridden the only reason I would trade is for the resale value...the 500 rips!!!

Kickstarting, once you get the drill down, it's no big deal. I have 2 of the Panthera Electric start kits and they are hard and time consuming to dial in. You have to shim them just right and use the proper battery or they wont work right. The kit has some serious design flaws and for those reasons I would not recommend it. Adam Millar's head mods work and when he does a decomp he usually mods it to replicate the early N head and those work good. Once you get it down though starting the monster is really easy under pretty much all conditions...but they like to be jetted proper.

Run a PWK or I have good luck with the stock PJ carbs as well. People might tell you to get the smart carb, I personally would run from that thing, ZI wouldn't run a lectron either but to each his own. The PWK sets up easy and uses similar numbers to the stock carb on the main jet but like to go leaner on the pilot. The 38 air striker works good as does the 39mm. There was another carb deal that worked really good but is hard to find these days and I can't think of the name of it right now.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I've got Adams head on my 500 with the decomp, starting is always pretty simple, I also run a PWK 38 and have had no issues. I have no interest in a Smartcarb whatsoever either.

I weigh a buck eighty so I found the chopper frame to be a lot more effort to ride than my YZ. If the terrain is open its fine, its a great climber and line setter for other bikes to follow but in the super tight trees I cant make it respond fast enough, it just wears me out too fast compared to the YZ.

I do think that for a taller larger guy it would be much less of an issue. I never got my second Camso kit onto the 500, ended up selling it but I am pretty sure that would also help the turning, to old 137 TS (good riddance) wanted to push so hard.

With my weight the 500 and the old TS 137 I could easily grab 4th climbing in deep snow, I just couldn't ride slow very easily.

I love the power of the 500 which is really making me think I want to build a new bike using my 500 motor, my KTM frame and a new 2020 Yeti 129 FR.

M5

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
You can’t convert a lot of the CR frames to other front ends because Honda used a smaller steering tube than a lot of the other bikes so there aren’t conversion bearings possible. At least that’s how my 86 frame was, maybe the newer frames were better. Dunno. I’m hacking up a KX450 frame for my cr project.

N
Well as an update the jug is at Adam's shop to get the decomp done, cylinder checked and possibly ported I am waiting to talk to him on the phone to see what he thinks about it.

A ton of new parts are ordered and arriving daily, the bike is fully stripped and I also picked up a 08 450R complete front end/conversion bearings for it although I haven't test fit it yet I plan too tomorrow. Of course after I bought that two rolling chassis 09 sxf 450's went for cheap nearby :face-icon-small-fro

I was told I would need a smart carb but seems like that may have been false? I know I'll need carb heat so what have you guys done for that in a steel frame? How did you guys find the 500 for durability as a snowbike? I have looked at the parts in my shop and wondered what have I got myself into some evenings and that maybe I should have just bit the bullet on a newer FI bike but something tells me if this works out it will be an awful lot of fun. I do love two strokes, I just hope it doesn't mean Ill be wrenching more than I am riding it.

I am a bigger rider too so I thought the power would be nice, 6'2 240lbs without gear.

The camso kit has interested me from the start due to the price I can get one at from a local dealer compared to Tsled plus my brother just picked up an end of season deal '19 CRF450RX w/ '19 Camso both new so I can at least get to try it before the snow is gone.

I will post some pictures once I get them on my computer and a list of parts so far, the plan is too rebuild it into a functional dirtbike to try it out this summer and then when the fall rolls around to buy any snowbike required parts including the track kit, carb heat and whatever else I see fit then install it. If it proves worthy it'll stay as a dedicated snowbike which I sure hope is the case

R
Apr 18, 2016
First year my bike ran perfect but overheated in spring, worked through that and by the end of the year was feeling pretty good. Second year I had a weird little gremlin and the bike was doing some weird stuff. It left me stranded and I had to catch a ride from way back in out on a snowmobile....then had to get towed out 2 weeks later by a snowmobile. Left my bike at the top of a peak for 2 weeks. It ended up being a wire to the coil that had frayed enough that it really wasn't making contact but would just enough to get a weak spark and run until it became completely separated in the factory wire housing/connector. I didn't find it until it was sitting in my garage and I started going through each piece of the entire electrical system with a microscope. I was feeling very confident about how she was going to work this year having fully addressed the whole electrical system and enlarging my tunnel cooler and having an even more robust cooling system....and then I shattered my shoulder riding my dirtbike.

The surgeon doesn't want to go in and fix anything because I have a lot of arthritis, second opinion had the same opinion that my best bet was full replacement. The only person who doesn't agree with these guys is me, I don't see too many guys with a replacement shoulder riding so I'm hoping it heels up and I can ride again. I'm almost 50 so it is taking longer than when I was 15 or whatever but I can do jumping jacks and push ups now so thinking if I take the spring off, wakesurf all summer, and get back on the bikes in the Fall....all will be well.

If that doesn't work...well I guess I'll have a bunch of CR500's and some other dirtbikes for sale and I'll buy a big TV to enjoy my new boring life.

O.K. I got a couple of those RZR things and have been playing with those...but that's not the same as ripping a bike.

Last edited:
Premium Features