• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled dies when grabbing throttle

SoDakCat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Stickney SD
Ive got a Push G kit on my 2010 M8 that will shut down when i go to grab the throttle. It will cruze along just fine until I hit about 6500 rpm that it acts as though it ran out of fuel or is over fueled and slowly shuts down. I can give it 15 sec and it will fire right up and will idle high and then go back to normal. I can put allong and let it slowly increase speed but as soon as it hits the 6500-7000 rpm mark it shuts down.

I have the oil pump running off the upgradded ccu and my egts run off the accessory double set at the post. EGTs never got over 1000 F and fuel is set at 38lbs with 110 and is premixed to 40:1. Boost is 7lbs with a OVS TRF and I have oil pressure to turbo. Not sure what the problem is. It doest throw any codes.

Any ideas?

Im going out to Tog in a week and a half and dont really have much snow to test on. Im just about ready to take the turbo off so I can atleast ride the thing out there.

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
Have you replaced fuel filter ever? Maybe it can't supply enuff fuel at top end ?

SoDakCat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Stickney SD
no I have not. Might have to check into that.
Also I noticed that the boost guage was not reading any boost yet. It could be bad but at what rpm should it start to be building boost. Felt like a stock sled pretty much, but never got over 6500 rpm when it stayed running.

K

knuts82

Dec 12, 2007
Bismarck ND
What elevation are you at. Is that straight 110? Are the powervalves opening. What are your numbers on the controller. Is the fuel pressure rising with boost. Is your BOV stuck open? Also check that the wastegate is closing all the way.

SoDakCat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Stickney SD
1500 ft and yes straight 110 octane number are ones from Ken's starting numbers not sure off my head. No boost is showing so no rising fuel pressure.
Thinking that blow off valve may be the culperate. How would you go about fixing, just turn down or what?

K

knuts82

Dec 12, 2007
Bismarck ND
I would unscrew the BOV and check inside it for problems and you will also see how it works. I would say the waste gate is not closing, check your linkage and you may even want to remove the exhaust and pull the turbo flange off and check it. On these cheap turbos I have seen where they are machined crappy and dont seal.

J

Jammmin

Dec 3, 2007
Puyallup
Perhaps you have your fuel numbers way to lean in that spot.
or
The throttle switch is worn out.

-
-

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
If you are not seeing your boost rising, simplest thing to do would be to check all of your hoses, boost line to fuel pressure reg, fuel box and waste gate actuator. Are they connected properly? Are they melted from improper routing? Are they cut etc. If your BOV is stuck open you should still read something on your boost gauge. Especially if your running a larger turbo.

SoDakCat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Stickney SD
Well I did manage to make it build boost and got to full throttle with having the back end in the air. Just played around with the blowoff valve and made it open and close a few times and adjusted the waste gate and it finaly built boost.
Any idea on how far the blow off valve should be turned to make it operate right with 7 lbs of boost.

S

sledpiggy

Feb 1, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Try disconnecting your throttle safety switch and using a teather. I have had to do this on my 2007 M1000 and my 2009 TM8 cuz it would just cut out every once in awhile. Both times it fixed the problem.

SoDakCat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Stickney SD
ok so I think my sled must be alergic to snow. Had it out and was just going to give it a couple blast down the ditch and back a few times just to double check everything. Well it was shutting down on my again tonight. Its odd that I was able to get it to work and it build boost up just fine when i had the track up in the air and used just a small amount of brake to load the engine but as soon as its on snow it just kills it off trying to do the same. Might have to try the throttle safety switch and give it a ride tomorrow. Do you just disconnect it or do you have to have it hooked into itself to make it operate? And its just inside the throttle block on the right hand side correct or where does it unplug?

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
I don't know how far it is to wishek for you but its probably your fastest bet with your trip to tog. Coming up. I bet jeff would have that thing ripping in no time at all. I know that's what I would do. Good luck you will love it once you get it going.

SoDakCat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Stickney SD
Its 240 miles up to Jeffs and yes I had thought about that earlier when I started the install but I dont know if I would have time to make it up there and back before I need to go. Im pretty sure its in the switch thats causing it because I was able to make it go to full boost with the track in the air and I have a lot of slop in my throttle. I just need to know if a guy can take the TSS off and still keep the kill. I have a tether wired in already but like to have the kill as well. Can a person just clip one of the wires and if so what one? And yes I do hope I love this sucker once its going right. I though I was pretty close to having it the other night when it was building boost.

M

mtn_rider08

Dec 17, 2007
Prineville, OR
I cant help with your problem, but I can tell you I have the same kit on the same sled, and IT RIPS!!! Dont get discouraged, once you have it working, you will love it.

K

kcdavidak

Dec 4, 2007
ketchikan,ak
just thought

I don't have a push kit but I'm thinking your just killing it with that 110 fuel . correct me if i'm wrong but isn't a g kit pump gas. ran my boony at 1500' 8psi 91 octane no det 2010 m8 09 head could sneak it up 8.8 -9.2 sometimes but mostly 8. swap out the gas and try it again.:face-icon-small-coo

SoDakCat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Stickney SD
Ok I may try switching out the gas. I was going off Cutlers numbers for running 8psi at sea level and it was saying 110. I know some of the people in Alaska running 8 psi on AV so I think I will need to have atleast 100 octane because Im keeping my 2010 head and using the OVS TRF.
What is really getting me is that I was able to get it to build boost and run up over 8000rpm with the track up in the air and a very slight amount of brake to load the engine running just 110.
So can anyone tell me if its possible to disconnect the TSS and still keep the kill switch and if so what wire has to be removed?

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I don't think the fuel is the issue. While it may be over octaned, my sled runs just fine at 1000ft, and 10,000 ft. on 110 from 6-9 lbs of boost. (Same year, same head, same timing key) I am fully aware of the possible performance loss due to excess octane, but I just cant see 110 affecting your sled to that extent, especially at 1000 ft.

I would be spending time checking clutches, looking for boost leaks, and going over the power valve system to verify proper operation. TSS is not a bed test either. If you want to check that, just open up the throttle block, and unplug the small two wire plug that runs to the TSS. If thats not the issue, you can just plug it back in.

I would also suggest running plenty of octane on your initial few rides until you have a good feel for the tuning on your sled. I have a feeling it has saved my azz a few times while I have been learning the in's and out's of this whole madness called turbo snowmobile ownership.

Last edited:

SoDakCat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Stickney SD
That's kinda what I was thinking on octane that I was just going to take it safe for a little while. Clutching is a setup that from mmsport that the prior owner used. I've checked all my lines a couple times but not ruling that out. Doesn't take much of a hole to make an air leak.
It's just an odd thing with the sled. It's like it hits a wall and shuts off right when it should be building boost.
That and I want to fund the guy that decided to make the throttle block use torx screws and have the screw that far in. Need to buy the actual screw driver now. Font have a bit long enough to get in there.

S

sledpiggy

Feb 1, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
ok so I think my sled must be alergic to snow. Had it out and was just going to give it a couple blast down the ditch and back a few times just to double check everything. Well it was shutting down on my again tonight. Its odd that I was able to get it to work and it build boost up just fine when i had the track up in the air and used just a small amount of brake to load the engine but as soon as its on snow it just kills it off trying to do the same. Might have to try the throttle safety switch and give it a ride tomorrow. Do you just disconnect it or do you have to have it hooked into itself to make it operate? And its just inside the throttle block on the right hand side correct or where does it unplug?

Take apart the throttle assembly by removing the 4 torx screws, splitting it in half. Use a T9 torx to remove the white plastic wire organizer. The safety switch is closest to the throttle pivot pin, trace its wires to a small 2 pin connector. Disconnect this and reassemble, taking care that the wires are all organized again. The kill switch, reverse, etc will all still function normally. This seemed to solve my sled's issue...

Premium Features