• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CR Resto snowbike

A
Jan 18, 2018
I was told I would need a smart carb but seems like that may have been false? I know I'll need carb heat so what have you guys done for that in a steel frame? How did you guys find the 500 for durability as a snowbike? I have looked at the parts in my shop and wondered what have I got myself into some evenings and that maybe I should have just bit the bullet on a newer FI bike but something tells me if this works out it will be an awful lot of fun. I do love two strokes, I just hope it doesn't mean Ill be wrenching more than I am riding it.

My riding partner has a CR500 riding trouble free for two seasons, it is awesome. He is a competent mechanic and rebuilt or went over everything, with it being an older bike you just have to be aware there may be gremlins like the electrical problem described above.

Here where we ride, a carb heater has not been necessary. We have ridden in single digit temps with no issues, but he does have an engine jacket on and I'm sure that helps keep temps up in there. We don't really get subzero temps here anytime we can actually ride. In the spring he takes the engine jacket off to help it cool.

Premium Features