• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

one for the books

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
had one of them days where everything came together, hero snow, bluebird, 15 mins from the house. sled ran great all day and now have 230 miles on an 084.

I tried my *** off to blow the 084, its now gotten me almost 100 miles more then any 083.

i think the motor mounts are too soft duro, i want the stiffer duro ones asap. my seconday was hotter today then my primary. launched a few 60-80 footers and i can feel motor or intake moving on big landings, my reeds clamps were shoved forward 2 times today, the airbox taking a hit in the nose when bomb holing is shoving my intake in i might make a spacer between the cowling intake and the square intake/chassis. then run cowling straps to suck the cowing tight against my spacer/chassis.

the exit shocks are just amazing today i never felt a full hard bottom once, this suspension fly's straighter and lands smoother then any sled i have ever been on.

heres some pics :) love my new proclimb....

42df8bd1-52b2-153b.jpg

42df8bd1-52c1-15e9.jpg

42df8bd1-52da-4111.jpg

42df8bd1-52eb-b233.jpg

42df8bd1-531a-fbef.jpg

Intake boots pic

42df8bd1-572e-68bf.jpg

-Aksnopro

AndyAndersen.jpg andyandersen2.jpg andyandersen3.jpg andyjumping.jpg

Last edited:
K

Kbakbmr

Nov 28, 2009
Palmer, AK
Nice bra, we did some exploring today, almost lost the ol girl down a cliff!! Check it...
482371c3-6d43-1450.jpg
not cool!

But it turned out to be a sweet day
482371c3-6db5-2ba1.jpg
482371c3-6ded-ef28.jpg
482371c3-6e06-d28c.jpg

I also was pretty hard on the 084 long 3-5 minute pulls up the glaciers, belt was deffinately hot but I think the 083 woulda blown. On the longest pull I saw that my rpm's dropped about 500 and I thought it was gonna blow for sure, and it didn't:) after I let it cool she was back to normal. All in all today was a good day

Last edited:
A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Heres the rmk

a6cd8d46-e0ec-6567.jpg

a6cd8d46-e119-0395.jpg

a6cd8d46-e136-4395.jpg

a6cd8d46-e49b-303b.jpg

Bent steering post and he blew a belt.
He made it out under his own power too :) he dented his whole belly pan in on this landing too :(

5 of us kittys today with no blown belt in two gas tanks all running the 084.

Only issue was snow ingestion from the nose causing bogs in one sled and my intake getting jarred from the nose cone hitting the snow on bomb hole landings.

This pro rmk didnt have any rear bumper and left the day bent up!
My clutches were fn hot though, belt i could not touch several times throughout the day.. I gotta get this belt temp down somehow feels like its going to grenade when it does go, but no pulled cords!

The kitty is a climbing beast and in the snow conditions we had showed its hp difference between the pro rmk, dont get me wrong the pro rmk climbed killer too, but you could see the speed differences on the steep n deep. That kitty motor is strait impressive, at 500 miles mine really opened up..

The rpm's are a bit varied and all over the place 7900-8150 jumping around.... Backshift could be better

But all in all Best day i have had on a sled yet....

-Aksnopro

Last edited:
B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
Aksnopro,
I think a skinz front bumper is going to be a must if your a jumper. My air box/hood is busted from a tree incident but also looks like it has been ripped open from the bottom. Like the nose piece flexes up on bomb landings. I had alot of snow and ice headed into the throttle bodies, to chicken to go pull the pipe and check the pistons. Anyways I think a solid front bumper will help deflect most of the impact away from the hood/airbox.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Good point and noted, i might sell my 40" front exits cause im staying wide, and get a team secondary, new bumper/skid plate. And maybe skinny it up like wyo :) thanks for the compliments!!!

Last edited:
G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I had the same flexy hood problems earlier for the same reasons.

What I ended up doing was strengthen the hood and add mounting points.
First I pop riveted (1/16" aluminum, about 18 per side) the extra panels (the ones you only take off to put vents on) to the main plenum. That strengthened the 90 degree bend a lot and eliminated one more air intake leak (caused by flex).
Next I added 1/2" aluminum angle to the sides (where your side panels mount-slip over) and pop riveted them with 3/16" aluminum. The hood is now a pretty solid piece.
Then I added more mounting points to hold all 24lbs on. I have the original 4 torx screw mounts and added 3 more. Plus, I added 4 6mm bolt and nut set-ups with the proper dished type washers for plastic (look at a bike). And , LOL, I added a bit of plate to the bottom of my sport bumber to use the two extra mounting points at the bottom of the nose cone that AC seemed to provide but didn't use.

LOL, since these mods I have enjoyed trouble free screwed up landings. I believe the engine is staying in place but the 4 torx screws were not enough to stop the hood from moving-flexing.

I may not be a sponsored rider but I do enjoy my air and it's not Cat's fault and don't expect warranty and my buddys say my sled looks "home built" LOL.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Hahaha, you definitely pay the price being a jumper over the years :) physically and out the wallet.

Geo, got any pics specifically of how you secured the nose cone to the chassis, i seen the exact hole you were talking about i was thinking something like a metal snowboard binding ratchet on each side to suck it up to a spacer/seal of some sort. But that would be a little vulnerable, hmm but would be nice to ratchet it tite.

Thanks for the reply, you got me really thinking now i also got to figure out how to keep snow out of the steering boots. Took them off silicones all around then put them back on. Im now thinking i will need to cut some thin aluminum in the shape the rivit pattern is and rerivit so its got a even seal all the way around it.

-Aksnopro

Last edited:
G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I'll bet it's coming in the nose above the intake. I remember reading your hood sticks out cause of the reeds.

My hood sits less than a 1/8th " away from the nose and doesn,t move. I still had to make a foam donut around the intake to install before the hood goes on to seal that area.

I got pics but don't know s**t about putting them on here.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Gotcha, no my reeds were what they thought the issue was, i will be taking them out though. Im taking them out because im having a snow ingestion issue still and dont want it blamed on the reeds.

The nose cone sucks to where the little divit for the screw is almost going in the recessed hole for it which is equal to all the other M's in my group.

We are all having snow ingestion issues on the deep snow days, mines better then the two sno pro buddys i have cause i did a few things to prevent it. Im about to put prefilter material in front each throttle body opening to stop any water from getting in. Two round frogskins might do the trick.

I mentioned the motor mounts to them we will see what they come up with

I gorilla taped both the intakes the only open vet i got now is exhaust side still got to get something over the exhaust vent

-Aksnopro

Last edited:
G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I'm completely sealed intake and clutch wise. Lots of work as you know.

The trick is to keep it that way while you shake and bake LOL.

Making the hood more rigid keeps your silly goo'd air box from leaking again. Mounting the more ridgid hood to stay put keeps the nose cone in it's seal. 6 extra screws in the clutch panel and bracing the belly pan keeps those gaps from forming in a carve on the clutch side.
And the final thing was to throw in a battery operated trouble light in and turn off the lights. Then I found the rest of the holes lol.

Or,,, ride with the Sunday crew.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
If yo do that you will end up choking the sled down quite a bit. Frog screen cuts air flow big time and the only way it works is to have a much larger surface area.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Rgr, ill try an get that nose cone sucked down good one way or another :) clutches are staying nice n dry now though :) finish up this intake seal and the boots for the tie rods and ill be golden.

Stock reeds back in will hopefully solve the boot issue i really think my motors moving around too much for them. Still wanting a stiffer duro motor mount for that. Maybe he clack im hearing is chain slap or track slap?

-Aksnopro

Premium Features