• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DET

assault66

Lifetime Membership
Apr 30, 2009
i have a 2012 switchback assault. i put bikeman head pipe timing key and the tied kit as well. with all of this done i was no faster or slower than a stock sled. my tps is dialed right in and BMP sugested taking out the timeing key cause i would hit the det sensor the odd time. so tonight i pulled the timing key and i cant make it 100 feet with out hitting the det sensor im hitting it anywhere between half and full thorttle. i have also tried my ethanol chip both ways. any ideas out there?

dragonfire

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Fargo,N.D.
I know I told you this before ,but try adding some race gas or av gas and see if that works. If it does not you will know it is the det sensor. Sometimes if the det sensor is torqued incorrectly it will malfunction. Taking the timing key out of your combination should have worked. Good luck keep us posted.

S
Jan 26, 2010
More Octane needed

I put on 2 SLP's stage 3's. That is head, reeds, full exhaust, and PCV. Both sleds hit the DEto on the display all the time. I called SLP they said to run Lucas Octane boost. I bought some but on the bottle it said not for two strokes so I put in some 108 race fuel. 1 gallon of race and 10 gallons of 91 and have not had a single issue. Try raising your octane rating and see what happens. I ride from 8 to 11K.

turbonium

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2009
det

Are you running ethanol or non ethanol plug ?
My aftermarket head was making my sled det and I switched to ethanol plug and havent hit det since.

assault66

Lifetime Membership
Apr 30, 2009
i have tried running both plugs and it still detonates. i dont want have to run race gas and i was also told that i can run 91 octane with out a problem. ill mess around with it tommorow and let u guys now whats up. i have mixed a little octane boost in but that has made no difference.

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
The combustion chamber(head) design on these engines is critical.. I have been working on this all season. It is very sensitive..

Be careful what you install on this engine.. Lots of money you can spend for little to no gains and possible engine failure..

Be careful

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
What are you running for weights? Go to some sort of heel heavy weights. They over rev in the mid bad. Ran into that when I put my head on. from 0-3000' I
m running 71 gram slp mtx weights with 2 gram rivets in both the the center and the tip. Total 75grams Pulls hard all the way through and zero det since going with that much weight.

Last edited:

mike taylor

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
pow Country CO
agree with above!
try throwing alittle more wheight at it.
Mine was hitting rev limeter, when smacking it to full throttle.
added wheight no more light !

T

tbeaton

May 28, 2008
MA
if you are no faster or slower with these mods, but you are having issues with your sled, what is the point of having these mods? take them out, put back to stock and actually be able to ride your sled with out fear of blowing it up.

assault66

Lifetime Membership
Apr 30, 2009
Well you see.... That's the issue haha pto side is gone. Looks like the tip of a screwdriver was bouncin around up there for a while.

assault66

Lifetime Membership
Apr 30, 2009
I donno what it's from but the top of the pto side piston had a little piece of metal bouncing around on it. I donno if it's from the tip of a plug breaking off or somethin I dropped in the airbox but either way. Ooops haha. Looks like I'm stuck on my stalker till next week!

dragonfire

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Fargo,N.D.
I donno what it's from but the top of the pto side piston had a little piece of metal bouncing around on it. I donno if it's from the tip of a plug breaking off or somethin I dropped in the airbox but either way. Ooops haha. Looks like I'm stuck on my stalker till next week!

That is detonation and it will look like you took a punch and hammered little dents in the top of the piston all the way around the outside in the squish band area. I learned this long ago with plenty of pistons to prove it. Also spark plugs will loosen up from this. Race gas solves this.

Premium Features