• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TPS tester

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
I want to check my tps as part of preseason maintenance. After reading every thread I could find about how to do it, it seems that most people use a homemade tester that uses a 9 volt battery with a resister to bring it to 5 volts. Another option is to power up the system with a 12 volt battery and then back probe the tps plug and check it that way. Even though the second way seems less common it seems like it would be better because it uses the sleds own system to feed the 5 volts to the tps and eliminates some of the complexity of using the 9 volt battery and resistor. Anyone with some experience have an opinion?

S

SU27

May 4, 2013
Edmonton
I have homemade tester. It worked well on my IQ sled, and I had some problems with it on adjusting TPS on my Pro Ride - doing everything right, I was getting 2300 RPM on idle. So, to wrap it up - now I would go adjusting TPS the second way - using 12V powering up whole system. This way you have ability of checking 5V generated by sled electrical system.

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
I'm curious because my wife's Pro is idling at about 2000 rpms. I want to check and adjust the tps and hope it fixes the idle. Do you know what your dealer ended up doing to fix your problem?

S

SU27

May 4, 2013
Edmonton
I'm curious because my wife's Pro is idling at about 2000 rpms. I want to check and adjust the tps and hope it fixes the idle. Do you know what your dealer ended up doing to fix your problem?

Actually it was very gray. After 5 times trying, I used TPS adjusting without baseline - warmed up sled, made 1750 RPM by throttle adjustment, and only then adjusted TPS to 0.94V. Then I brought it to dealer :)
It was best technician involved, and I was in the shop too, coz I am in very good relations with my dealer. Tech connected Digital Wrench, and announced that no TPS needs to be adjusted, coz everything looks ok. I replied: if it would be that easy, I wouldn't bring sled here. Then I explained my problem. He started to work on sled, and 15 minutes later I left for drinks (it was hot, eeh?). I was back in 20 minutes, and got informed that everything is ok, and TPS got adjusted. Tech claimed following whole process (Digital Wrench process) with no problems. Then I took my sled, and left home. That`s the story man.

S

SU27

May 4, 2013
Edmonton

From the other side, high idle RPM is NOT TPS PROBLEM. When you will find what causes your high idle RPM, only then you marry idle RPM with TPS voltage. Explanation: you regulate RPM with amount of air, not with amount of fuel. TPS just sends signal to ECU, which makes sure that air/fuel mix is proper for current RPM. TPS follows the throttle plates angle, nothing else.
So, if you will adjust throttle down to 1700, check your TPS voltage - it still might be in tolerance.

At the same time, adjusting TPS is partially "upside down" process, and confuses a lot of people. We adjust TPS voltage to throttle plates when we are setting baseline: first we make throttle plates fully closed, and only then adjust TPS voltage. So, TPS follows throttle. Next step is "upside down" part - we open throttle plates by referencing to TPS voltage, so throttle plates follow TPS.
That's how it confuses people - adjusting TPS can adjust RPM. Nope.
Good luck man :)

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
I've just checked my base voltage and it's .71, If I adjust the idle to .93 the sled idles at about 2200 rpm. If I adjust the idle voltage to .90 the idle is right at 1750. So I understand why you set the base voltage but I'm not clear why the sled cares what the idle voltage is. Can someone enlighten me?
I don't think there is any air leak in the engine, if I blip the throttle it revs up and then settles right down to a steady rpm. I just don't understand why the voltage doesn't fall into the recommended parameters.

S

SU27

May 4, 2013
Edmonton
I've just checked my base voltage and it's .71, If I adjust the idle to .93 the sled idles at about 2200 rpm. If I adjust the idle voltage to .90 the idle is right at 1750. So I understand why you set the base voltage but I'm not clear why the sled cares what the idle voltage is. Can someone enlighten me?
I don't think there is any air leak in the engine, if I blip the throttle it revs up and then settles right down to a steady rpm. I just don't understand why the voltage doesn't fall into the recommended parameters.

That`s what I had, and that`s the mystery I couldnt solve too. :(

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
That`s what I had, and that`s the mystery I couldnt solve too. :(

ECU doesn't care what the idle voltage is. The base setting is what is important. The old manuals had a voltage spread recommendation for idle RPM. Adjust idle voltage to desired Idle RPM and go ride.

S

SU27

May 4, 2013
Edmonton
ECU doesn't care what the idle voltage is. The base setting is what is important. The old manuals had a voltage spread recommendation for idle RPM. Adjust idle voltage to desired Idle RPM and go ride.

Yeah, that`s what I`ve done at the end :) Only missing 'go ride' part :)

Premium Features