• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what bike for next years snow bike

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
what bike should I get for next years snow bike, 2stroke 500 or 4 stroke 450. the two stoke 500s have the highest hp to weight ratio, wicked power, but have to mix gas and poor mpg, also no electric start and older, but cheaper.

450 has good mpg good smooth big powerband, and possibly electric start, more reliable? but harder to start in cold, more expensive to fix

F

FrozenMOTO

Jul 21, 2010
Moscow, Idaho
I would go with a 450f any day of the week and if you want more get a big bore kit and get your jetting right. They are so light and powerful, yet reliable and get good mileage.

painterdrew

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oregon
KTM 530 XC
Send the motor to Travis at Thumper Racing. Have him bore it out to a 610.
Smooth power, easy to start, not bad on gas.

painterdrew

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oregon
I would say ktm 505 sx-f,it pulls way harder than my old crf450r plus revs just as fast.Thats the road im taking this year,and only is 229 lbs with E start.
I have had both a 530 and a 505. The 505 is fun but i broke a piston on mine. that took out the whole lower. The 505 is revving very high for very long periods of time on the snow and thats pretty tough on the motor. I think that the 530 is better for this application as it has better lower end power. Now with a 610 build, a cam, port the head, and bore the carb you have a whole different bike:face-icon-small-sho.
I converted my 505 back to a bike, got the motor re-built and now i just have it set up for supermoto. Its perfect for that.

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
in the mountians western mt
Do you thank its reving to high because of the 4 speed? I would thank you would want a high reving motor.I thank the 505 makes more Hp than the 530.Im not saying your wrong, ive never had the bike on snow just Trying to get some info myself.

painterdrew

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oregon
Mine was a 5 speed. I think its just the nature of that motor that you need to rev it to run it on the snow that is where it makes its power. It may be faster than a 530 but i think the 530 works well and will be more reliable.

A
Dec 5, 2008
Turboed YZ450F

The new motor design is going to leave space for a turbo, I have a feeling the YZ's will be the Bike to have. I love my Crf450r and I will probably get some more motor work done, but the YZ is on the list.

painterdrew

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oregon
I have had snow bikes for about 4 season. I have also had turbo sleds. I think that you would have to lower the compression on a dirtbike if your were going to run a turbo. If you didnt you would burn it down. If you lower the compression you will loose the snappy throttle responce. In my opinion its not a good solution. the turbo lag woud not be fun in the trees and thats the most fun area on a good snowbike.

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
in the mountians western mt
I thank the turbo 450 would be cool,but im allways working on my turbo apex and i just want to ride,so thats y im going with the snow bike,ill leave the motor stock,and like painterdrew said, i might be going with the 530 ktm now and leaving the 505 for dirt.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I am currently riding a ktm 525 but my buddies ktm 300 does so much better than my 525 that I am going 2 stroke next season. Thinking about a CR 500. They are cheap and thats a lot of power.

painterdrew

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oregon
I am currently riding a ktm 525 but my buddies ktm 300 does so much better than my 525 that I am going 2 stroke next season. Thinking about a CR 500. They are cheap and thats a lot of power.

What kit does he have on the 300? I have a 300XC its my tight trail woods bike. I had thought that it would be fun to try it with one of my 2moto kits but I did not want to spend the time to swap it over.
What do you like better about the 300 on the snow than the 525?

B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
The 300 feels like a lightweight tree dicer compared to the 4 strokes. You have to ride it up on the pipe, but its really fun. It won't climb with the 450's.

Great comments on the 2 vs. 4 topic. We didn't have any issues jetting the 300, but I've never seen a 500 that would run right on snow (only seen 2- one stocker, and an 500AF). Both owners tried and tried, but never got them really running. The stock Berg 650 puts more hp to the tire than the 500.

Turbos... I happen to know a guy that has felt the addiction of boost on a snowbike- and even though he's always messing with it he still keeps it around. There's nothing like feeling 10 pounds of boost on a bike. Drew is right about the loss of 'bark'. On the turbo 450 (we tested from 8 to 16 pounds of boost on a stock motor) it lost its bark. On the bottom, it felt like an XR 250. Once it came up on boost (about 1/2 throttle) it was awesome. 12 psi was my preferred place. Running full c-16, and now Vp-110, mine has never missed a beat.

On the 650, it feels like almost like a stock bike on the bottom. I think it's a combination of massive torque, and the aerocharger (vs. the garret on the 450).
I've been working on a dual stage turbo to solve most of the issues. Last week, a great friend in Canada gave me an idea that will be much easier to implement, and inexpensive to install- and will solve the low end issue on the 450 turbo. He's tested it on several 2-stroke turbo sleds.
Just waiting for parts...

My naturally aspirated bike pick is the 570. Then do as Drew suggested, and go with the TR 610 kit. The only bike that beats this is the 650 Berg with the JBS racing 700 or 750 kit. But the EFI would get my vote.
2nd pick for me is the 5 speed 505. I wrung the snot out of an '08 for 3 seasons (with a 10ah battery) and never had any issues. I was REALLY hard on it.
Blaser

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
What kit does he have on the 300? I have a 300XC its my tight trail woods bike. I had thought that it would be fun to try it with one of my 2moto kits but I did not want to spend the time to swap it over.
What do you like better about the 300 on the snow than the 525?

Both of us are running Timbersled Kits. The 300 floats a lot better than my 525 and in deeper powder the two stroke can out pull me. If the snow is setup a little better I think the 525 will out pull the 300 but not by much. Basically his 300 goes everywhere I go and I want to get a lighter bike for the dirt.

Premium Features