• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

newbie build CR500af

T
Mar 28, 2018
No it is not pulse injected. I was going to do that but Ron had a stroke I believe it was and isn't doing them anymore. I haven't checked lately but that was the last I heard. Honestly I haven't touched the jetting in 4 seasons so I don't worry about it.

As for carb heat I make heaters and sell them, there is a thread on here somewhere. As a machinist you should be able to make your own. The AF is tight and you probably wont be able to run a store bought heater as they are all pretty bulky.

M5
So is the carb heater actually heating the carb or the air? And it's using the coolant to do this?

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
If you're going to leave it on forever, just shrink it on. A few thousands interference should be plenty.
It's helpful to throw your carb in the lathe and true up the intake bell. Good luck with your project.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
The 500s are not easy to set up. Many have tried. They are great if you figure it out.

Biggest thing is you need to manage your coolant temp. Too cold and you will scuff a piston and your carb will stick wide open. To hot and well...you’re too hot. You need a line coming right off t he head sending coolant above 75F to your carb to keep it from icing. This is the number I have found over the years

R
Apr 18, 2016
I agree w port grinder, the 500 works killer but it takes some work to get it to maintain consistent coolant temps and the carb heater needs a warm blast. Mine worked pretty good last year with a tunnel cooler and thermostat.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I had a cr500 that I wish I still had.... It really is not that hard...

1. Tunnel cooler- have Mylers Radiators in Utah make you one. Keep one radiator for icy days

2. 130 degree stat

3. Use regular clutch the rekluse sucks a lot of power

4. Get Raze handlebars

5. I loved my Lectron with carb heater

6. Optional but very helpful tuning.... EGT with Temp gauge split screen

M
Jan 14, 2004
I mostly rode the YZ this year and it worked great but I still cant bring myself to sell the 500. A new kit and the 500 motor in my KTM frame it will likely be my go to ride next season. I've got the jetting, cooling and carb heating dialed, the bike just flat out works all the time.

M5

Premium Features