• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Older bike okay?

J
Sep 9, 2015
I'm planning on building a snowbike for the upcoming season. The entire concept is new to me but I'm beyond excited for the challenge. My son and I race moto in the off season so it seems like a natural transition for me. My question is, would my current bike (2010 Honda crf450r) which is bone stock be able to go out west with just a kit on it? I know the hondas have been notoriously underpowered compared to other 450's but I've been fast for years on this bike… on the moto track. Any input I could get about whether or not my current bike is worth building or just pull the trigger and get a newer bike to go with the kit. Thanks?

J
Sep 9, 2015
I can either get a newer bike with an older kit or a new kit with my current bike. Just don't know if the bike or the kit makes the biggest difference in performance.

K
Jan 3, 2017
I would buy the new kit and keep the older bike. Snowbikes seem to be advancing and changing fast so kits become out of date way faster than the bike will. I currently ride a 93 kx5 on my 16 TS Lt and love it. Just my 2 cents.

SteepNdeep450

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2014
Bozeman, MT
I say buy a newer kit with the newer style track from said manufacture you like. I put a 2013 TS ST kit on my 2009 CRF450R with the solid strut and rode it quite a few times the season before last and only got out a few times last season. Had a blast but trying to keep up with everyone on the trails with the newer track is tough.
A couple horsepower would help, but learning how to get certain places is what an older bike will teach ya. You'll have a blast on that bike. All I did was thermostat (thermobob) with temp gauge, acerbis plastic skid plate with P3 foam between that and the bottom of the motor. As long as you are comfortable with the motor staying together and trust it, as it doesnt have a ton of hard hours on it. Run it, enjoy it and upgrade next year or the year after. I just bought a 2017 R and am thinking about just throwing on a RAW kit for this season as said above, things are changing in this industry so fast.

J
Sep 9, 2015
That's what I was thinking when I was loooing at all the different kits at hay days last weekend. It's amazing how different things are year to year. I was hoping a newer kit would be a better investment than a newer bike since to be quite honest, I love my bike. I guess it's time to start shopping for a good deal?

H
Oct 7, 2008
Ferndale,Wa.
What kit did you put on it? When you say you're going newer do you mean a newer bike or newer kit? Or both?

I had been looking at kits since the 2moto days but never jumped. I ran across a 2013 TS st with updates for a deal and just did it. Then just bolted it onto my 04 KTM 450exc and went riding for the first few times. Had a blast but it was a nightmare on the road so spent some time a a little money to make it better but still a handful on the ice and hardpacked road. Decided this year to reach into my wallet and bought N16ht5's setup. Husky 501 with a snowtech track kit. Now Im looking for another setup cause my buddy wants to do it and that is the key to these you need a friend to ride with who also has a bike. Keeping the sleds for a while and still have my KTM setup but looking forward to a better ride and more power.

R
Sep 1, 2017
central WI
last year i had a st120 RAW kit on my ktm 350xcf..rode it out west and did just fine..short on power for climbing tho..
sold that bike this past spring ...now have a 2017 husqvarna fc450 and going to use same Timbersled kit..this shall be even more fun!!

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
As stated above you will get more performance out of a better kit than a better bike. Your 2010 450 will do just fine. I would recommend putting a fresh top end in it if you have over 100 hours. Get a good thermostat, engine blanket, and some hand guards and you should be set to jet.

What I see a lot of our customers do is just what you are doing and then they leave the bike on the Timbersled and get a newer bike for the track or trail and then start to cycle them through keeping the newer bike with the wheels on it and then passing it down to the snowbike conversion.

Either way, get a kit and have the time of your life!

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
Get a good kit.

I have a 2011 crf450r. For your first year you will have a blast on the bike. I'm looking at new bikes this year for the electric start and a few more ponies. but last year was by far the most fun I had on the snow.
necessities= thermobob, temp gauge and engine blanket(i didn't have blanket overfueled like crazy in powder.) lots more you can do.
The kit was the big trouble spot. I'm not going to brand bash.
well over 50% fail rate on kit. bike was flawless.
Get a good kit.

Premium Features