For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Yamaha: Boosted Sleds (Turbo or Supercharged) Turbo discussion for Yamaha aftermarket Turbo or Super Charged sleds.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 12:39 AM
Currently: the most fun you can have with your clothes on ;)
bustamove has a reputation beyond reputebustamove has a reputation beyond reputebustamove has a reputation beyond reputebustamove has a reputation beyond reputebustamove has a reputation beyond reputebustamove has a reputation beyond reputebustamove has a reputation beyond reputebustamove has a reputation beyond reputebustamove has a reputation beyond reputebustamove has a reputation beyond reputebustamove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Head shim + rebuild

Alright so from the top, I bought a 09 nytro 163 mtx6500km/4000miles, with what I'm told is a mcx 240 kit ready to go. Unfortunately I got screwed, got it home it sat for about a week or so went to start it up. Long story short, exhaust pumping out burnt coolant oil level is milky and over filled now. Hopefully rod isn't Bent, and crank is okay(can't tell clutches are so god damn noisy)

My questions are:
With the head shim is it an oem gasket above and below it? Or 1 gasket split apart, research has me more confused.

Should I replace head shim? With stainless or mcx aluminum? Pro and con to each? I emailed mcx and they want almost 200 cad for a new shim. Yet hurricane +others want 75usd ish for stainless.

Every bolt on this engine is torque to yield. Obvs head,rods, bearing caps, I'll buy new. But can you reuse the case bolts? Well we're talking about bolts are arp worth the money?

From the research I've done usually head gaskets go due to overheating or really pushing way to much boost. Anyone heard of a cracked head or block? My worst fear!

I'm coming from a polaris rmk 900, jury is still out if I'll like the nytro or not so I don't wanna sink a whole bunch of money into yet... but id like to get it running.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 08-11-2016, 07:36 AM
Currently: Making roll-over valve kits since 2008
MTN_VIPER has a reputation beyond reputeMTN_VIPER has a reputation beyond reputeMTN_VIPER has a reputation beyond reputeMTN_VIPER has a reputation beyond reputeMTN_VIPER has a reputation beyond reputeMTN_VIPER has a reputation beyond reputeMTN_VIPER has a reputation beyond reputeMTN_VIPER has a reputation beyond reputeMTN_VIPER has a reputation beyond reputeMTN_VIPER has a reputation beyond reputeMTN_VIPER has a reputation beyond repute

Since it has coolant in the oil and you have no way of knowing how long it was ran in this condition. I would go ahead and pull the lower case (oil pan) and rod/main bearing caps to inspect the bearings. These engines run tight bearing clearances (usually around .001") and if the oil is contaminated or ran low on oil it can damage the bearings fairly quickly.
If there is bearing damage and you try and run it, there is a chance that it could spin a rod bearing and pitch a rod through the side of the block. Normally it's the center rod that lets go first.

It's probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but I would pull the motor to do the tear down/inspection. As it sits now you have a rebuild-able engine and by tearing it down you'll know for sure if it's sound before spending more money on it.
For Arctic Cat and Yamaha Sleds
Patents 8,225,766 8,528,516 9,303,537

http://fourstrokesolutionsllc.webs.com/
e-mail fourstrokesolutionsllc@hotmail.com

Old 08-15-2016, 12:44 PM
Currently: 2014 Viper MTX conversion
stingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN_VIPER View Post
Since it has coolant in the oil and you have no way of knowing how long it was ran in this condition. I would go ahead and pull the lower case (oil pan) and rod/main bearing caps to inspect the bearings. These engines run tight bearing clearances (usually around .001") and if the oil is contaminated or ran low on oil it can damage the bearings fairly quickly.
If there is bearing damage and you try and run it, there is a chance that it could spin a rod bearing and pitch a rod through the side of the block. Normally it's the center rod that lets go first.

It's probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but I would pull the motor to do the tear down/inspection. As it sits now you have a rebuild-able engine and by tearing it down you'll know for sure if it's sound before spending more money on it.
Having done a few I agree completely with this.