• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Has anyone had a microdiscectomy on there back and went back to riding

tatorsalad

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I am going in for surgery on my L-5 S-1 disc on oct 10 the surgeon said i will be back to my everyday life i am just wanting to know if anyone on here has had the and went back to riding.

TJ427

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2012
Bismarck, ND
There is good evidence that most NFL players return to the same level of play following a discectomy so your odds are good at getting back to sledding! I hope that everything goes well for you!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Twice at that same location. Don't go back to riding right away, it takes time for the disc to heal and will be more susceptible to re rupture for many months.
My first surgery was a failure and was worse after scar tissue developed and put pressure on the nerves. I survived on cortisone and pain killers for several years. 2nd surgery was a huge success as he also removed bone to make clearance for nerves.
You will have to be careful the rest of your life, don't lift heavy....wait for help or take your time getting unstuck. Exercise and walk a lot! Core strength will make life easier in the future....I need to do a better job of this myself.
I feel 100% but occasionally get that pain down my leg or foot to remind me to take it easy.
Good luck with the surgery and accept any physical therapy offered.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I am going in for surgery on my L-5 S-1 disc on oct 10 the surgeon said i will be back to my everyday life i am just wanting to know if anyone on here has had the and went back to riding.

yep , same disk and went riding in 10 days. It blu back out and another disectomy in months, it failed and finally fused it.been single track all summer, Wind surfing all summer and sledding winters however just now do I feel that i,m 90%, been two years now and lost some flexibility., let her heal a couple months wood be my suggestion.

Last edited:

tatorsalad

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Thanks guys it is nice to hear from some people who do the same types of thing i do and are getting it done

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
A lot depends on your age and fitness level as to how fast you can come back. At 30 I had the surgery and felt much better year 2 than year 1 and I'm an avid gym person.

As mentioned above do lots of core. Be carfull bending and lifting. IF you ride this year take it easy and prob not till later to avoid re injuring which was also mentioned above.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
A lot depends on your age and fitness level as to how fast you can come back. At 30 I had the surgery and felt much better year 2 than year 1 and I'm an avid gym person.

As mentioned above do lots of core. Be carfull bending and lifting. IF you ride this year take it easy and prob not till later to avoid re injuring which was also mentioned above.

yah 10 days was not one of my best choices, Butt it was 3 feet fresh, I hope u understand,,

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
What do they do in a disectomy? I have 2 herniated discs right now in my back and doctors wants me to do physical therapy which I am gonna. But I am 29 workout everyday and been working like crazy on my core but I can't seem to do many core exercises because of the back pain. Honestly wish they would just fuse it together and be done with it.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
What do they do in a disectomy? I have 2 herniated discs right now in my back and doctors wants me to do physical therapy which I am gonna. But I am 29 workout everyday and been working like crazy on my core but I can't seem to do many core exercises because of the back pain. Honestly wish they would just fuse it together and be done with it.

Same here except I'm a little older...been trying the chiro and PT route...not sure it's much better....never had a back issue until 1.5 months ago...POW!!!

I think the mobility loss is the reason I don't want the fusion....not to mention, I don't ever have good luck with surgeries...

It always seems to take 2-3 per injury.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.

I would avoid fusion at all costs. The long term results are almost identical to those that don't have surgery at all.
Cortisone injections and time will often allow the body to heal....but you also have to avoid aggravating the disc.
There are advances with microdiscectomy every year, they now use lasers to reduce scarring and healing time. Start with the most conservative treatment.....therapy, cortisone, time, microdiscectomy, artificial disc....fusion is a full year+ recovery with poor long term results according to 2 doctors I consulted with and much research.

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
...been trying the chiro and PT route...not sure it's much better...

2 rounds of Steroid injections finally put me back to about 95%. Chiro made it worse in a big way. I finally went to a back doctor recommended by my regular doctor and have been much better. I still get the reminder twinges to be careful, and I can't sit on the floor for very long, but I feel tons better. I have two herniated discs mixed with a little stenosis. I understand 'roids don't work for everyone but they worked for me.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
2 rounds of Steroid injections finally put me back to about 95%. Chiro made it worse in a big way. I finally went to a back doctor recommended by my regular doctor and have been much better. I still get the reminder twinges to be careful, and I can't sit on the floor for very long, but I feel tons better. I have two herniated discs mixed with a little stenosis. I understand 'roids don't work for everyone but they worked for me.

Thanks. I've never been a fan of Chiro but surgeries scare me from my past.

Chiro cracked a rib on me and now every breath hurts. I can feel it move when I take a bigger breath.

I have the worse luck sometimes.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I had c5,6,7 fused with discectomy in June at age 35. First ride was New Years day that same year. My mobility increased with the fusion. My only regret was not doing it sooner. Months 3-4 were EXTREMELY frustrating. 37 now and do most of the things I did before surgery. My new best friend for welding on the farm is a boom truck though. Much cheaper than surgery in hindsight.

A
My surgeon suggested 12 weeks and then I had no restrictions, back to the gym and took it slow. Started going to a rolfer in week 8 which was the best thing I did. When I could get back to the gym I focused on core. Got surgery on aug. 16th last year and was sledding in Dec. we had a crappy year but I still scraped up 1100 miles. Just follow the doctors order for the first couple months and you should be good

T
Jan 3, 2008
taylor BC
i had a L4/5 discectomy at 30. after riding in the mountains / racing MX & sleds.
mountain riding since 89' never missed a season.
diligent rehab is a must.
if you love it, you won't be able to quit.

mx100

Lifetime Membership
Jun 16, 2010
Livingston, MT.
I had a herniated disc in my lower back and after a year of getting worse, it put me in bed for about a month. I tried the chiropractor, cortisone shots, lots of home remedies and a inversion table but nothing seemed to work. I finally got on a spinal decompression table called a DRX9000. It turned my life around. It took a while before the pain started to go away, but after about a month I noticed the pain was subsiding. It has been a year now, and I am still pain free. I am back to living a normal life and probably doing things i shouldn't, but I feel great! Best thing I ever did.

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
What was astounding to me (and shouldn't be) was the quality of life difference once the pain was gone. It's amazing how you can de-sensitize yourself to how bad you hurt, in my case thinking I was just being tough. While I would never advocate missing a chance to ride, this is too important to rush.

W
Feb 27, 2008
Lake Tahoe
l5s1 fusion

I had l5s1 fusion at spinecare Nevada, they went through my stomach and I was snowmobiling in six weeks, recovery much quicker than through back muscles. I was susceptible to cold but that only happened when sitting on cold chair lifts, that stopped after five months when bone grew around cage. I had five years earlier microdisectomy which worked ok until disc ruptures skiing mogels in bad light. I had this surgery at age 45, now 54 years old and do all the sports I did at 30, I do maintain a gym regimen.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
It will take some time, for me the surgery did not have the immediate relief I thought it would. I did get back on a sled 3 months after but was oh so careful when stuck and moving sleds around. At six months to one year I really started to notice a huge improvement in mobility and strength. Definitely do your core work and rehab religiously! I never want to go back to the cripple I was! Good luck and listen to your doc and your body. I am 4 years after surgery and really good to go.

Premium Features