• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Streaming Video Ad issues....

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
I wasnt getting the audio unless i put my mouse on the ad. But NOW I get this 'Game of Arms' advertisment from AMC. It expands to cover atleast half of my search button next to the search type bar. HOW ANNOYING! Anybody else get this?

Yup, i got it too. must be a new tactic for the money hungry bast*ards at snowest. force feeding ads on a paid forum....nice

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just so you all know.
I am seeing exactly the same thing.
Stops me from logging into the forums as well.

I have written to everyone at Corporate ASKING THEM TO REMOVE it ASAP!

This is what I see with FireFox
And what makes it worse is that when I close the ad, the login fields appear to be corrupted and I have to back out and start over again.
picture.php

Last edited:

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
Streaming AUDIO feed on the Video Ad now OFF ??

Thanks Chris! I am using Firefox and seeing the exact same thing as well. Hope they get it taken care of!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I wish it was something I could fix myself.
But its part of a large commercial ad placement and I don't think Harris actually controls the display content at all. So they have to get back to the company that bought the insertion and see what it takes to get it removed.

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
I usually am not to offended by the ads but when it expands my page and causes me to scroll over and covers up important buttons it really gets annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Yeah I'm not usually one to complain but WTF were they thinking?

Thanks for bringing it to their attention Chris!

Anyone recommend a good ad blocker? Figured it would be part of the deal when I "select payment type" for this site...:face-icon-small-dis

Edit: just downloaded "AdBlock" for Chrome. No more giant arm wrestling ad. Sweet.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
They can't get it removed quickly, but they did MOVE it DOWN so it will not block anything while they work on getting it out of the rotation.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
They can't get it removed quickly, but they did MOVE it DOWN so it will not block anything while they work on getting it out of the rotation.

im sure they "cant" get it removed because this advertiser paid for it and snowest wont want to give up that cash. I'm pretty sure this was not a mistake...this is exactly how it was designed to work.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Its a bit more complicated than that.
The ad co-op buys a block of space from Harris Publishing.
They then control what is displayed in that block.

Harris can control WHERE that block goes, thats how they were able to move it DOWN, but they can't remove ONE particular ad in the over all stream.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
so now the same thing is in the middle of the page....right where i am writing this. and it spreads across the page and locks it up. Such Bullsh*t

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
That ad freezes me, I am on google or IE, both freeze and won't let me select anything but back or close.

The side ad format is a vulnerability that is idiotic to purchase.

If they can upload such aggresive ads, what other security issues are possible?

ferniesnow

Lifetime Membership
Jun 18, 2014
eastern British Columbia
It is now past mid-June. The annoying audio on the ads is still annoying. As a new Premium member this audio is an insult to my intelligence and growing on my patience. There should be a disable audio process. I haven't found it yet and I am (after only two days) upset at the process of having to continually click something to shut it off.

I have heard for years the disgruntled attitude of peeps regarding SnoWest being in it for the money grab and not paying attention and not being able to balance the members wishes and the corporate greed.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

Lifetime Membership
Jun 18, 2014
eastern British Columbia
It is now past mid-June. The annoying audio on the ads is still annoying. As a new Premium member this audio is an insult to my intelligence and growing on my patience. There should be a disable audio process. I haven't found it yet and I am (after only two days) upset at the process of having to continually click something to shut it off.

I have heard for years the disgruntled attitude of peeps regarding SnoWest being in it for the money grab and not paying attention and not being able to balance the members wishes and the corporate greed.

I have found a solution for me with the audio..........just use the volume mute key every time I come onto SnoWest.

Premium Features