• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Top end rebuild on a Mountain Max

M
Nov 26, 2007
Next season I will be doing a top end on my Mountain Max 700. Just for maintenance purpose's. It has about 3000 on it now. I pulled the head last season and the cyclinder walls looked great.

I am going to use stock pistons. Can I just buy the pistons and put them in?
Do they have to be a certain clearance?

Do they rings have to be filled for correct ring gap?

Any other pointers would be helpfull.

Thanks

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Yamaha tripples wear like iron. I never replaced pistons in them as maintenance. I use to put on around 2500-3000 miles a year so more then one of them had over 6,000 miles on it. Everytime I did a leak-down test on them they were in great shape.

My viper was the only thing I put pistons/cylinders in. Generaly speaking if you use yamaha pistons and rings you just put them in, nothing needs file fitted. I always used a ball hone and brake cleaner to clean the cylinder. The ball hone wont remove any of the nickasil (sp?). Eric

Z

zoombyu

Jan 13, 2009
North Dakota
Finally opened up a 97SX 700 with 7400 miles. Still ran great, just thought it was time for at least rings. Things still looked good except for a cracked skirt on one of the pistons. Ended up spending way more than I should have with bearings, seals, pistons, etc. Will see how it runs this winter, as it hasn't been started yet.

Premium Features