• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best/safest way to pack a camera ?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Do not put your dslr in a handlebar bag.

Why?

I would think something like this would work great.

Lowepro Top Loader Pro 75 AW Camera Bag

Up-front protection and convenience. The Lowepro Top Loader Pro 75 AW Camera Bag ($69.95) is a vertical holster style bag designed to carry and protect a Pro DSLR camera with grip and 70-200mm lens attached and accessories. The case is made from 600 denier TXP ripstop and 2000 denier ballistic nylon with a quick-release buckle and zippers with U-shaped zipper pulls. It has a side opening with easy-grip access that allows easy access to the gear. The bag has an adjustable divider system that can use SlipLock accessories. The Top Loader Pro has a all weather cover that protects the bag from inclement weather. There is a top pocket and a mesh side pocket for accessories. The bag is carried by a removable shoulder strap with a 3-point harness system or an optional chest harness.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Another thing to consider is moisture. I have lots of cameras and store them with a large bag of desiccant to absorb moisture. Baby diapers are the next best thing.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Another thing to consider is moisture. I have lots of cameras and store them with a large bag of desiccant to absorb moisture. Baby diapers are the next best thing.
Do you find that your cameras pick up that much moisture in the field from day to day?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Do you find that your cameras pick up that much moisture in the field from day to day?

The biggest impact are the transitions of temperature .... cold dry to warm moist causes condensation on metal

You don't really notice damage immediately unless a lens get internal moisture but I have several of the same kind camera and the one exposed more to the elements typically fails sooner. Or mold from "natural" water gets in the camera or accessories

The auto focus will fail.

Shutters start to stick from condensation collecting dust

battery power drains faster.

A way to compare it is a couple jeeps I own and the wiring harness fails because of corrosion from moisture creeks / rivers.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
THANK YOU for the tip.!
I have NO DESIRE to shorten the life of my camera.
Filling up a sock with some desiccant and placing it in with the camera as it warms back up for the days ride is CHEAP insurance

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Found an even better case
http://clikelite.com/product/chest-carriers/standard-slr/

CE702GR-STANDARD_SLR_CHEST_CARRIER-GREY-WEB_SMALL-3-300x300.jpg

Standard SLR Chest Carrier
Keep Your Standard SLR Camera At Your Fingertips

$99.00

Chest Carriers are an excellent way to keep your camera accessible while balancing weight. This newest model gains increased versatility and protection with belt compatible back panels, and side-sling shoulder straps. Quickly access your camera, data cards and fresh batteries from the main compartment. Add capacity and balance to your existing backpack with the Included ChestPort system.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I like the peak design capture clip for my slr. Way more accessible than a front pack. https://peakdesign.com/

But wouldn't that leave your camera COMPLETELY EXPOSED to the elements while riding??

https://peakdesign.com/store/capturepro

Capture PRO Camera Clip

Availability: In Stock
The CapturePRO® Camera Clip is our flagship, pro-quality camera carrying solution. Carry any camera on any backpack strap, belt or bag. All-aluminum, extra-durable construction. Compatible with multiple tripod types, and can be used as a tripod head itself.

The difference between this CapturePRO Camera Clip and our previous model is the PROplate that comes pre-loaded. This CapturePRO comes with our new PROplate which combines the functionality of the three previous PROplates into one new PROplate. While supplies last, CapturePRO is available pre-loaded with our previous versions of PROplate (ARCA, DUAL, MICRO) for a reduced price of $64.95.

cp2_hero_500x500-480x480.png

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uPopVxKL3No" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
E

ElroyHouse

Banned
Jul 5, 2016
Thanks for the info. I always have a camera with me all the time and kept worrying about its safety.

Dunatic

MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
I had one of these cases when I first started carrying a camera while riding, I hit a dip pretty hard on an overcast day, hit the bars hard and ripped the lens mount right out of the camera! $1k in the garbage.....

Found an even better case
http://clikelite.com/product/chest-carriers/standard-slr/

CE702GR-STANDARD_SLR_CHEST_CARRIER-GREY-WEB_SMALL-3-300x300.jpg

Standard SLR Chest Carrier
Keep Your Standard SLR Camera At Your Fingertips

$99.00

Chest Carriers are an excellent way to keep your camera accessible while balancing weight. This newest model gains increased versatility and protection with belt compatible back panels, and side-sling shoulder straps. Quickly access your camera, data cards and fresh batteries from the main compartment. Add capacity and balance to your existing backpack with the Included ChestPort system.

Premium Features