• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Removing starter gear from clutch

S
Aug 31, 2008
Hot Springs, SD
I'm removing the e-start off my 07 X to put on my wifes adrenaline. I've got everything swapped to hers except for the starter ring gear on the clutch because i cant get it off of mine. I got all but 2 of the torx bolts off. What is a good way to get those last two out of my clutch without totally screwing up the whole head of the bolt.

D

dieseldog800

Nov 24, 2005
Bancroft, Nebraska
I would try to heat it with one of those hand held propane torches used to solder copper pipe. The idea is to heat the bolt head A LITTLE BIT to get the bolt to expand and contract and that will loosen up the bolt when it cools. DO NOT try to turn it out until the bolt cools a bit. Has worked great for me in the past. REMEMBER...Not too much heat.

H

HPJUNKIE

Nov 5, 2003
An impact driver might work. Sometimes it just takes a sudden shock to break it loose. Good luck...

D

deep_doo

Nov 30, 2007
Sheridan
I'm removing the e-start off my 07 X to put on my wifes adrenaline. I've got everything swapped to hers except for the starter ring gear on the clutch because i cant get it off of mine. I got all but 2 of the torx bolts off. What is a good way to get those last two out of my clutch without totally screwing up the whole head of the bolt.

if there both 800r y not just swap the whole clutch x and adr. have the same clutch parts ps i would recomend keeping the ring gear on the o7 its a counter balance for the motor

D

deep_doo

Nov 30, 2007
Sheridan
No offense but I have heard this before and I'm not buying it. Do you believe the clutches are balanced on the motor at BRP?
no offence taken its just my opinon and your money lol :)
well when i bought my 07 the first thing i asked was why it had the ring gear on it? dealer said do not remove it .it is a balance so i left it on P.S he is a very good dealer not just some smuck know it all guy..lol anyway i have over 3000 miles now no problems with the motor itself . A friend and a everyweekend rider of mine same sled removed his and geuss what? 1400 miles later im towing him back with a broke off crank taper right inside the clutch . so was it just bad luck or should he have listened to the dealer ? well ill leave that for u to decide ? i my self would love to get ride of it too but ..

Premium Features