• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

low and high alt pipe?? RPM??

B
Feb 12, 2010
I live in MN and take a couple trips out west every year. D&D and speedwerx both do not offer a pipe that is compatible with an 11' M8 at all elevations. As far as I know, only BMP and SLP offer pipes that would work for me. SLP has a 9 hp gain while BMP has a 12 hp gain. There is a trade off... The BMP has huge mid hp gains and peaks at 7800-7900 and drops off extremely fast. The SLP peaks at 8000-8100 and drops off slowly.

My question: If the sled is clutched perfectly to each pipe, is there a benefit to a higher rpm? Lower rpm? Would a slower dropping off hp after peak rpm be beneficial at varying elevations (like in the MTN's)?

What pipe set would you recommend? Thanks.

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
Take bmp Hp numbers and drop a 1/3 to half. They are always inflating or their power is made at unsafe running conditions. I think you should look at slp and a speedwerx low altitude pipe will work just the same at higher elevations like the bmp and slp pipe. The difference is they make a high elevation pipe that will not work at lower elevations. Their adj pipe is the best of both their pipes but instead of welding their short or long stingers in they put flanges and spring mounts so you can change. I ran their adj pipe last year worked good at both high and low. Fit and finish though was terrible as is what I've found with most speedwerx products. Burned the piss out of my intake and hood.
Your not going to find a better fit and finish than slp. They were out of pipes and power commanders last year when I was buying. Lesson learned I should have waited for what I wanted, instead I bought both and found which one was better. Sorry for rambling, but stick with slp. You will get honest help and honest answers. You really want it to go, go stage 3 slp and don't look back. You won't regret it

B
Feb 12, 2010
Ok thank you very much. The hp numbers are actually taken from the dynotech shootout. I do really like slp and the sound of their silencers. Can't beat their price when it comes to a full ceramic exhaust either.

C

Crash Cat

Feb 16, 2008
I have an 11 m8 as well. I run the speedwerx fat daddy adjustable pipe. It comes with two stinger inserts. 1 for 0 to 5000 and 5000+. it is pretty easy to switch them out as well. It only takes about 10 minutes to do. I was pretty happy with the performance out west.

Keith

B
Feb 12, 2010
I'll consider that.

So... Does anyone know the Pros/Cons of having peak HP at different RPM's??? Is there any difference so long as the clutching is right?

shuttlevalve

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2009
I have a full slp on my 09 M1000 with a PC-5 and run 8000 and higher. THe fit and finish is better than adverage and the thing isnt much louder than a stock silencer until the valves open it really changes tone. only complaint is the Pc-5 program provided seems a little fat and will tend to load up if you are running slow on the trail.

Premium Features