• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

wear on secondary

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
I pulled my secondary apart today to change out the helix. I found some wear on both sheaves that look like the aluminum has melted. Theres also some scratches on one of them. The scratches aren't that mysterious to me, but the other marks have me puzzled. Does anybody have an idea of what could have caused them?

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Looks like the belt moved through the secondary sheaves when the secondary was shifted out and locked up. Could have happened if you stuck the sled fully shifted out and tried to go again...belt pulled through the secondary and it didn't move. You smoke a belt recently?

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
No smoked belts. I bought the sled used with almost 2500 miles on it though. I was wondering if this would have any noticeable affect on performance

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
That spot is at full shift-out, so unless you wrap the thing out to 80 your belt will never get there. If it were me, I'd be more worried about how the metal was weakened which can lead to cracking and boom. The good news is its at the hub where you have a bunch of metal to reinforce something like that. If that was my clutch, I'd run it and keep a close eye on it for cracking or otherwise...and keep it under 70 so the belt never goes there. The only thing you might check is the sheave to make sure it's not tweaked anywhere...you don't know what happened. Anyone with a dial indicator should be able to confirm that. And get some scotch brite on those sheaves...they are glazed over. Will help performance to clean them up and get that glaze off them.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I would guess manufacturing defect. Then, as you guessed, whe it got hot enough it "smeared" The aluminum. As stated above, make sure it is nice a smooth and run it. You can buy new sheaves from bdx for 250, not a bad option.

B
Nov 17, 2008
Looks like a case of the sled being stuck fast or an abrupt track stop where the clutch got backfed torque while the engine was under power. Typical in compression sprung secondaries, all the more reason for a torsional conversion kit to wind sheaves back together....that clutch is shot.

Premium Features