• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.
R
Feb 26, 2011
British Columbia
So we went for a quick trip up the mountain today and about half way through the day a high pitched whine started on my clutch side. At first I thought it was a belt or either clutch but after having a look and driving for a bit we think its something to do with the diamond drive. We're gonna take it apart and see if we can find anything worn or broken. Has anyone else had to deal with this? Is there anything specific I should look for once inside there? The sleds an 06 700

S
Sep 16, 2010
Once you've gotten it apart inspect the bearings and the gears inside. They are pretty straight forward once apart, so any damage should stand out.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Once you've gotten it apart inspect the bearings and the gears inside. They are pretty straight forward once apart, so any damage should stand out.

X2!
Any damage, which unfortunately you will probably have will be obvious.

S
Feb 21, 2009
dd

Those dd are pretty much bomb proof. Unless it runs out of oil it should be fine. They do like to whine forsure.. Drain and inspect to be sure, but I bet its just normal whinning..

R
Feb 26, 2011
British Columbia
I got it apart and turns out two of my teeth broke of the planetary and one off one of the transfer gears. Also one of the bearings is a little noisy so that's probably the whine. Since I'm going to have to break down and buy some new gears can anyone tell me what the best gear ratio for mountain riding is? Should I stay with the stock ratio or get a higher/Lower ratio. All the riding around here is fairly steep and usually has some soft snow to play in.

S
Sep 16, 2010
Sucks about the gears, but at least you caught it before it let go in the backcountry!

I was always happy with the factory gear settings....even with a 162 track

J
Jan 1, 2008
You may be farther ahead just picking up a full (lightly used) drive. You may be able to pick a different ratio if you desire...depending on what is available. If you are happy with the way it performed you might want to stick with it. Keep in mind this is coming from a mostly flatland guy, but when you change your gears you may get into different weights also. I know country cat has deals on DDs quite often on ebay. By the time you add up the new gears...you may just want to keep the old drive for parts. I personally have never had a problem with any of my DDs. Kinda wondering how the teeth chipped?

Premium Features