• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNOWEST FORUMS: Member Comments on "Letter to All Members"

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
He has a real point though Darrin. If your on a Dial Up connection, and your trying to surf the internet, your going to be miserable. There is just no way around it. If he is unable or unwilling to get a high speed connection by DSL, Satellite, Cable, or Cell, then anything with a graphical interface is going to cause him pain and suffering. The only question for him is how much pain and suffering he is willing to endure to get to the content he wants.

The new servers will greatly reduce is wait time, just like it will for every other user we have, but his pipe is just to narrow to move the bandwidth that the internet is pushing.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It would be the best $10.00 I ever spent. Tell me when, where, and who do I pay?
Thanks, but Don't even worry about it at this point.
Like the letter said, NOTHING will happen till everything is in place.

When it is all up and running and tested, then we will put a membership program into effect next year.

B
Dec 5, 1980
I agree wholeheartedly and was just trying to point out that there is some inherent value even in the stripped down, everything hidden format. But, yes, whether we like it or not, the I-net is becoming broadband necessary.

Hesdale

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Central North Dakota
I can handle $10, but why all the upgrades? look at the new swapmeet forum...there are 6 tracks on there and everyone is still using, and likes the old swapmeet. It is good that you are still leaving free memberships, people only have to pay if they use the forum religiously, in that situation $10 is a steal for how much time they spend on it.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
As a younger person who is a LOT more computer savy then a lot of people i know and are also on here, the basic functions are more then they care about or want to mess with. heck, i dont do any more then just sit and post and throw up info, try to help out.. who cares about all the new fetures... people just want the same stuff they had before, now your going to charge and add more crap people dont want... it will pay for itself, as i know there are enough like me who really enjoy it, but most of the people i get the best tech help from barely even come on, let alone if it was pay.. im worried your gonna drive off the people who actually know things and hold on to the ones who just enjoy hanging around..

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
Well after reading through this whole thread I have to say that I have to take back an earlier post. I think that this IS going to be a big improvement for SW and I WILL be paying for a 3 year membership to have ALL the "bells & whistles". Thanks guys!

X

x-guy

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 12, 2007
Vancouver, BC
As was written a portion of every membership fee will be used to create a fund for donations, how big of a portion of my membership fee will be going to these funds? And how will we as members know where they are going to, and being used in ways we support?

I have much less of a problem paying for membership if the profits are going into different programs to save snowmobiling and riding areas, which also benefits snowest, less snowmobiling areas, and riders, the less people subscibing to their magazine. I do not agree with a site profiteering from information they are not providing.

By you not providing the details of just how much is going where, it does make me suspect that yes while the goal is to make snowest a quicker more enjoyable site, there is also some backroom deals going on to make it another profitable entity of harris publishing, its common knowledge print is starting to die and the internet is taking over whether its with magazines, newspapers, even books, is this harris publishings way of not only making sure the forums are viable, but also snowest magazine as a whole, and having its members share in the high cost of the transition? I can see how membership would help pay for the equipment, but once snowest starts turning a profit which was mentioned at January 2010, what are they going to do with those profits which are earned off the information of other people?

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
clarification:

So, just to clarify: the proposal is that anyone who is not a member at 'said cutoff date to be decided later' will have to pay $30/year, and current members at 'said cutoff date to be decided later' will be grandfathered in, at as low as $10 per year?

If this is the proposal, this works fine for those of us who are already here, but it makes it more difficult to attract new members, and I would like to humbly and respectfully request that that scale is reviewed.

Can we make it just a flat $10 per year for everyone, new and old? Will that generate enough $$?

Thanks for the update!

PE

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
So can we move past this now.

Thank goodness it is snowing so maybe we can move on with all this drama..

I think with all the added benefits like the ability to do a dealer Forum and so on. I will be a paid member.
Thanks.

Maybe we can add a private whiner forum it could be free and it could be hosted somewhere else.:D:D:D

[

When it is all up and running and tested, then we will put a membership program into effect next year.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
You will get choices! :)

Supporting Snowmobiling:

A portion of every membership fee received at SnoWest will be set apart to create a fund from which donations will be made to organizations that are dedicated to supporting the sport of Snowmobiling. Organizations such as SAWS, Blue Ribbon Coalition, ARRA, American Avalanche Association, ect.. will all be available for you to choose from as a recipient of your contribution.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
$10 is no big deal; some will pay, some won't...whatever.
But, unfortunately for-profit forums rarely succeed.
This is a very risky strategy.
Especially for an admin that seems to be deaf to his users.

But, the false hope of $10 x 36,000users = $360,000/year can make an admin tell management lots of really dazzling stuff.

MD.

Last edited:

Hesdale

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Central North Dakota
How do you get to be a moderator? I see moderators saying they will be paying members..... isn't that a little biased and obvious, this post is discussion, doesn't seem like that much whining(except a few posts)

S

Superjag

Jan 30, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
"This site is too slow!"
"I can't say whatever I want!"
"All these new changes too are scary for me!"
" I should get everything for free!"
" I have a rash and am chafing!"

D*mn, there is an awful lot of whining and complaining around here all of a sudden. Suck it up. If you can't or won't spend a few bucks (less $$$ than it takes to fill up your sled with one tank of good gas) for a what is still a pretty d*mn good site, well then, you probably have an over-developed sense of entitlement. Either that, or your "real" life is seriously lacking, as this must be your worst problem.

Don't want to spend the $$? Fine. But for the love of God, stop b*tching about it. If the changes and $$ membership money put an end to this all this crying, that right there is worth it as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention that fact that it will most likely thin out some of the constant thread poaching and bs topics.

This is still a good site. There is still a lot of good info here. Let me know when and how much, and I'm in.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I've got no problem paying a few bucks, heck it might keep some of the trouble makers off here that have nothing constructive to add. :beer;
As for the question that was raised on here about already having a magazine subscription, then also getting the mag subscription as part of joining the forum.....how about just extending the subscription?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
And how will we as members know where they are going to, and being used in ways we support?
When we finally get to the point of actually asking for any money, there will be a list of organizations you can select from, so you will get to choose exactly where your money goes and what it is supporting.

As for amounts, at this point that is still unknown.

T
Dec 2, 2007
Kent, WA USA
I have never paid to access a forum in my life..... Sites of interest that have asked for money, I just back up to google and find other sites that don't charge. That said, I really like SnoWest I am a subscriber to the magazine, and spend alot of time on this forum from about late august til spring comes around. My fear is that I am going to pay my money and it is not going to be the same SnoWest. Not one of the new features that have been introduced or proposed have done anything for me but piss me off when SnoWest was taking fifteen minutes to load a page. I have used the new swapmeet to advertise a sled, don't like it. Can people even PM from the new swapmeet? The bells and whistles are for the birds, to use your mod sled analogy-we make mods light and simple to be effective in the mountains! But, I promise you I will pay my money because I like SnoWest, but I will be mad if all the upgrades continue to be just useless fluff like the ones that have already been done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features