• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

VIPER VS SIDEWINDER

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
Ya'll know im totally biased. But I have a 270 MCX 174 x 3" viper and a Similar custom build CR Vipex around 300 hp. I'd ride my Winder any day of the week in stock form over those 2. it is so different and so much fun to ride a stock sled with decent power and sensation. Now what do I do with 60K in custom sleds both in excellent shape?
Winder is an amazing sled and I will say that it needs to be compared to all 800 class mountain sleds by these advertising publications. Its that good.
Cheers
RS

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
IMO, Yamaha went in the right direction with the Viper, and the engine is a work of art in the Sidewinder. I know in my head that overall weight is last on their list, BUT adding 40+lbs with the sidewinder was a pretty big let down.

Maybe I'll change my tune if I get to ride one this year, but I still think you're ahead of the game in weight and overall price with a Viper and MPI setup.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I was a Yamaha guy for 20 years love the 4 stroke but just can not have competitive fun with my friends aboard a stock yamaha anymore. TECHNICAL RIDING was the 2 stroke answer to the unbeatable 4 stroke powder under boost.
Once you follow a 850 or Axys into the technical sections the extra 120 pounds can not be overcome with power or muscle. The sidewinder as impressive as it is is 10 years too late. For us Mountain guys anyway. But I still miss that sweet sound of my Apex a bit.

klim-in

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2009
Idaho
I was a Yamaha guy for 20 years love the 4 stroke but just can not have competitive fun with my friends aboard a stock yamaha anymore. TECHNICAL RIDING was the 2 stroke answer to the unbeatable 4 stroke powder under boost.
Once you follow a 850 or Axys into the technical sections the extra 120 pounds can not be overcome with power or muscle. The sidewinder as impressive as it is is 10 years too late. For us Mountain guys anyway. But I still miss that sweet sound of my Apex a bit.

I owned the Apex Mt in 05, very heavy and walked away till Yamaha found the day to get the very first factory Turbo sled released. I never hesitated to go borrow one and tried it out. once I get the financial worked out I will buy one. VERY impressed on how well it is stock.

You have to try it to appreciate how great of a sled it is.
IMO
Never felt heavy at all the whole day. I went everywhere I pointed it with tons less work than the Apex was like.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com

Yet friends who have last year's doo rode mine with 2016 front on it and disagree with you.............to each his own

stahlecker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Western NE
Weights

Digging up an old one.

I picked up a crane scale to try to get a better idea on these weights. Not the most expensive one in the world but I think it’s close.

2015 Viper 162 MPI turbo. Powerclaw 2.6 track. Yamaha accessories front bumper.

630lbs

Same Viper with MPI lightweight can. Conquer 280 track. BDX super lightweight brake rotor.

612.5lbs

2018 Sidewinder 153. 2.6 powerclaw. Mbrp race muffler. Viper steering. Arctic Cat extruded boards. I can’t imagine the new steering added more than two pounds. Maybe 1/2 pound added for the boards. About 9 lbs taken off with the muffler.

636lbs

2008 Apex MTX 162. Stock. It was there so we weighed it.

684lbs

All weights are packed full of fuel. Tool kit.

Lifting Straps and clevis weigh 5.5lbs.

The sidewinder still has factory air box etc. whereas the viper has a CAI. Maybe 10ish lbs.

32C21B36-1364-4254-AF8E-EF637C234C6F.jpg 309E549F-516E-4D06-A26F-DEC7C8283B1F.jpg 0196915E-A886-4FFB-9919-A7435CAA8252.jpg

Last edited:
M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador

Who said your Yamaha had to be stock??

I seriously don't understand how you can't follow your buds on a new Yamaha.. I'd love to see videos of your riding style.

Premium Features