• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

help gutted airbox

S
Dec 3, 2015
quebec
looked in search and google. cant seem to have a straight answer. some say it will richen the mixture on the edge model since carbs use vacuum from the box .and other say it will lean the mixture since more air is let in. any one really now?

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Making the air easier to be drawn into the carbs, will lean it out a bit. Which is why some people then go with slightly larger main jets. I left my horizontal top plastic plate in but cut a larger hole at the rear of the plate where the venturi tubes were, so that a dropped rag, nut or tool does not go all the way to the bottom of the box.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i put an egt on mine before i messed with anything.
i didnt notice any hotter temp. on those domestic twins, ive always pulled the plate in front of the carbs, but left that horizontal one like whosthatguy. that way any snow that gets past the intakes doesnt have a direct path to carbs.
pull the foam out too, its just a noise reducer.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Maybe lean it out at WOT on a fully modded sled. You'll run rich removing the shelf. But don't believe the hype of removing the shelf tho, less throttle response, use more fuel, more engine intake noise.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
The restriction on the Edge, if you are running the air box foam seal to the hood is actually the intakes on the hood. So opening up the air box doesn't increase air flow. So if you are looking for more air flow then put some florites in the hood when you open up the air box.

sled_guy

Premium Features